New Grower Thursday's First Grow - Sour Stomper & Forum Stomper under LED QBs with chile pepper friends!

Nice setup :cheers:

I think your photos are just a bit hungry. If I had the space I'd veg them this entire grow and flip when the autos are done. Use them to practice defoliation/LST/Topping

I think your photos are just a bit hungry. If I had the space I'd veg them this entire grow and flip when the autos are done. Use them to practice defoliation/LST/Topping

That's kind of what I've been thinking I might do. I just am a bit worried about them getting too big and taking over!

Hey folks! Here's an update from day 10 of my Sour Stomper grow. My first seedling has blown up and seems to be thriving, however, there are still no signs of life from the second seed, so I'm beginning to fear the worst. My chili peppers are also doing great and seem happy in the tent. It's still fairly cool here, so I'm having no trouble maintaining decent temperatures with a much more stable RH than I was previously dealing with (generally 32-79% RH and 70-80F temperature).

I realize now that I never mentioned it, but while I was waiting for my @mephisto seeds to arrive, I ended up planting two photo seeds I received for free (M39 x Granddaddy Purp) in order to try out the system and see how they responded to the QBs, etc. Well, I can now say that they've been LOVING it in there. I'm only feeding them GH MaxiGro since I'm saving the good stuff (Mega Crop) for my auto(s), but to date, they've been growing like crazy. I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing with them since I don't really want to drop my light cycle to 12x12 to get them to flower, but either way, it's been fun to watch them grow. I did notice yesterday what appears to be signs of a nutrient deficiency though, so I was hoping you all might be able to let me know what you think it is. So far I'm leaning towards magnesium, but (obviously) I'm not really sure.

Anyway, I thought I would share a bunch of photos with you to show you how things are looking. First off are a couple of pics of my tent and general setup:

Here is a pic of the thriving (!) Sour Stomper seedling:

My freebie "trial" plants:

A couple of close-up pics of the leaves that are showing signs of a deficiency:

Don't want to leave out my chili peppers!

And, here are some pictures of the low pressure aeroponic tote I built. There isn't room for it in my tent at the moment, so I just have it out in the room next to my Aerogarden. Despite the low light levels the chilis in the tote look pretty happy! The reservoir temp is sticking around 72F for now, and (so far) I haven't had any problems with root rot or anything, but let's see how it goes once the weather warms up a bit.

Found CA/MA needs are magnified under QB's, what are you currently feeding?

Found CA/MA needs are magnified under QB's, what are you currently feeding?
Yeah, I've heard the same, which one of the reasons that I thought it might be a magnesium deficiency. So far I've just been feeding them GH MaxiGro, though I have some CalMag ready to go for the next feeding if necessary. The Sour Stomper seedling on the other hand is getting Mega Crop.

Yeah, I've heard the same, which one of the reasons that I thought it might be a magnesium deficiency. So far I've just been feeding them GH MaxiGro, though I have some CalMag ready to go for the next feeding if necessary. The Sour Stomper seedling on the other hand is getting Mega Crop.

Was well above GH's recommended 1ml/L, on a continual feed, before I got mine under control.

Hi and welcome from Alberta :smoking:, I saw your intro thread a bit late so just followed you over to your grow.
Plants look great, a word of caution about the rot, I wish I had been proactive, I never used any prevention's for a long time and got lucky, until I didn't... And may as well have tossed most of my plants rather than waste the time on the yield I got. My res was not at all near a high temp either, I don't know how the pythium got in.
We can't get all the products in Canada a lot of other grows can, if you are interested I can post up a list if you don't want to wade through either of the threads in my siggy :biggrin: I also posted a Q about it in the Infirmary and got some great info and help there too.

TheArchitect is right about the feed, my photos are hungry girls that's for sure. And suffer big time in hydroponics under LED's for the calmag. My autos I'm not so sure, I'm new to those and dialing it in right now.

That deficiency looks a bit odd, if you want to post it in the infirmary tag Waira he's one of the experts on that. I'm not so sure what it is, it looks.. Weird..

I'm gonna tag him in here actually hope it's OK, the pattern of yellow on the leaves makes me a bit nervous and saves you farting about unless you want to put it in that thread. @Waira can you have a look at these leaves?

Hi and welcome from Alberta :smoking:, I saw your intro thread a bit late so just followed you over to your grow.
Plants look great, a word of caution about the rot, I wish I had been proactive, I never used any prevention's for a long time and got lucky, until I didn't... And may as well have tossed most of my plants rather than waste the time on the yield I got. My res was not at all near a high temp either, I don't know how the pythium got in.
We can't get all the products in Canada a lot of other grows can, if you are interested I can post up a list if you don't want to wade through either of the threads in my siggy :biggrin: I also posted a Q about it in the Infirmary and got some great info and help there too.

TheArchitect is right about the feed, my photos are hungry girls that's for sure. And suffer big time in hydroponics under LED's for the calmag. My autos I'm not so sure, I'm new to those and dialing it in right now.

That deficiency looks a bit odd, if you want to post it in the infirmary tag Waira he's one of the experts on that. I'm not so sure what it is, it looks.. Weird..

I'm gonna tag him in here actually hope it's OK, the pattern of yellow on the leaves makes me a bit nervous and saves you farting about unless you want to put it in that thread. @Waira can you have a look at these leaves?

Wow! thanks for such a detailed post @RivetGrrl !! I'll check out your previous posts/threads, but feel free to share any tips here as well. Right now I just have two chilies in the LPA tote, so I'm not super concered as I have two more chilies in the tent with my photos and autos, but it would be good to know how to keep the tote healthy regardless.

I just watered the photos with full strength MaxiGro + CaliMagic, so hopefully that will sort things out, but if @Waira or anyone else sees anything strange going on please do let me know.

I ended up giving both my photos a serious trim as well since they were getting pretty bushy. I followed the 'quadlining' technique described on the 420mag forums, which basically consists of trimming off the first and second nodes and topping after the 4th or 5th. They're both looking a bit happier to not be some croweded.

Last edited:
Just checked out your pythium post @RivetGrrl . That Myco-Grow looks like it might be what I need, but damn is it expensive. My tank is small though so it's been running at 73-75F, and that's just sitting in my larger room, not actually in the tent (where the ambient temp is higher). I'm planning to build a bigger tote now that I know that this one works well (other than the temperature), so hopefully that will help to keep the temperature down. My only concern (other than the $$) is whether it will clog up my LPA sprayers. What do you think?

Back