Lighting The House of Vorkosigan

Vorkosigan

I have a jungle of happy trees.
Reaction score
As promised a long time ago in a galaxy far away...I bring you my newest grow under my Amare SE450 UVB. This is my third grow (EVER) and second grow with autos & coco so I may make mistakes but they're not mistakes if I learn something from them!

Specs -
Tent - 5'x5'x7' iPower on foam gym mats for slight insulation from cold cement.
Light - Amare SE450 UVB currently ~27" without cobs, once the seedlings hit 6" the cobs go on, first sign of pistils & they get the UVB *evil laugh*. I also have a heat lamp in the tent because it's out in a non-insulated garage in the Pacific Northwest. Schedule is 18/6 because I believe plants need a dark period in order to have proper metabolic function.
Tent temps & humidity - with the heat lamp high of 81F low 61F (this week) with relative humidity 30-40% (sucky I know, I was hoping the rain outside would help some)
Medium - Ready Gro Coco
Nutrients - Almost the full line of Nectar for the Gods with some potassium additives because NftG is lacking, learned the hard way on first grow. E-mailed NtfG and found out they recommend 6.3-6.6 pH even in Coco due to having high calcium phosphate in their line. I previously ran the nutes at the 5.7-6.0 range so I will see if the pH changes my growing.
Plants - I can legally grow four and I'm in the state capitol so I stay legal like a good kid. 1 each of Mephisto Genetics Auto Blues, Mephisto Genetics 24carat Illuminauto pheno, Autoflower Portal Stone Dragon (special reserve regular seed stock), & Autoflower Portal Mumbling Dragon (regular seed stock).

20Nov - Started soaking in water mixed with Poseidonzime (2tsp to 1qt, seedling mix).
21Nov - All seeds popped seed coats and were transferred to rapid rooters.
22Nov - Auto Blues was above the rapid rooter with helmet still on.
23Nov - Eased the helmet off of Auto Blues & cotyledons opened without a problem (Day 1).
24Nov - Auto Blues was 1" above the rooter. Stone Dragon & 24carat were placed in the rooter a bit cock-eyed so they had to deal with gravitropism before emerging. Mumbling Dragon stalled with only a short radicle, started soaking another seed. Transferred Blanca (Auto Blues), Sierra (Stone Dragon *hoping for a female*), & Jewel into 160z s0l0 cups with coco as the medium sitting under a CFL.
25Nov - Both Sierra & Jewel were above the rapid rooter (Day 1 for Sierra and Jewel). Noticed that Sierra had white tips on the first finger leaves as seen in previous post. Mumbling Dragon [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] cracked seed coat & was placed in rapid rooter.
27Nov - Moved Blanca, Sierra, & Jewel to the tent with the light ~27" above the babies, I want a little stretch for easy watering later. Mumbling Dragon [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] stalled with short radicle, removed embryo from seed coat to see that the cotyledons were yellow-white so not viable (got to educate the 13yr-old about seeds and embryonic seedlings).
28Nov - After confirming the Mumbling Dragon is older seed stock I decided to use the paper towel method for Mumbling Dragon [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] to see if that would help.
1Dec - Mona (Mumbling Dragon *hoping for a female*) is above rapid rooter & in 16oz solo cup under a CFL. Removed humid domes from the tent kids and added a small circulating fan to strengthen their stems. Gave them water with Poseidonzime (seedling mix) to run-off since the coco was a bit dry.
2Dec - Moved Mona to the tent & keeping her humid dome on until she's ~2" tall. Blanca & Sierra are 2.5" with Jewel coming in at 2.25"

IMG_4495.jpg IMG_4496.JPG

@Vlad The Inhaler @Itisi @Wile e Peyote @witchyhour @A-Train

Last edited:
As promised a long time ago in a galaxy far away...I bring you my newest grow under my Amare SE450 UVB. This is my third grow (EVER) and second grow with autos & coco so I may make mistakes but they're not mistakes if I learn something from them!

Specs -
Light - Amare SE450 UVB currently ~27" without cobs, once the seedlings hit 6" the cobs go on, first sign of pistils & they get the UVB *evil laugh*. I also have a heat lamp in the tent because it's out in a non-insulated garage in the Pacific Northwest. Schedule is 18/6 because I believe plants need a dark period in order to have proper metabolic function.
Tent temps & humidity - with the heat lamp high of 81F low 61F (this week) with relative humidity 30-40% (sucky I know, I was hoping the rain outside would help some)
Medium - Ready Gro Coco
Nutrients - Almost the full line of Nectar for the Gods with some potassium additives because NftG is lacking, learned the hard way on first grow. E-mailed NtfG and found out they recommend 6.3-6.6 pH even in Coco due to having high calcium phosphate in their line. I previously ran the nutes at the 5.7-6.0 range so I will see if the pH changes my growing.
Plants - I can legally grow four and I'm in the state capitol so I stay legal like a good kid. 1 each of Mephisto Genetics Auto Blues, Mephisto Genetics 24carat Illuminauto pheno, Autoflower Portal Stone Dragon (special reserve regular seed stock), & Autoflower Portal Mumbling Dragon (regular seed stock).

20Nov - Started soaking in water mixed with Poseidonzime (2tsp to 1qt, seedling mix).
23Nov - Eased the helmet off of Auto Blues & cotyledons opened without a problem (Day 1).
24Nov - Auto Blues was 1" above the rooter. Stone Dragon & 24carat were placed in the rooter a bit cock-eyed so they had to deal with gravitropism before emerging. Mumbling Dragon stalled with only a short radicle, started soaking another seed. Transferred Blanca (Auto Blues), Sierra (Stone Dragon *hoping for a female*), & Jewel into 160z s0l0 cups with coco as the medium sitting under a CFL.
25Nov - Both Sierra & Jewel were above the rapid rooter (Day 1 for Sierra and Jewel). Noticed that Sierra had white tips on the first finger leaves as seen in previous post. Mumbling Dragon [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] cracked seed coat & was placed in rapid rooter.
27Nov - Moved Blanca, Sierra, & Jewel to the tent with the light ~27" above the babies, I want a little stretch for easy watering later. Mumbling Dragon [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] stalled with short radicle, removed embryo from seed coat to see that the cotyledons were yellow-white so not viable (got to educate the 13yr-old about seeds and embryonic seedlings).
28Nov - After confirming the Mumbling Dragon is older seed stock I decided to use the paper towel method for Mumbling Dragon [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] to see if that would help.
1Dec - Mona (Mumbling Dragon *hoping for a female*) is above rapid rooter & in 16oz solo cup under a CFL. Removed humid domes from the tent kids and added a small circulating fan to strengthen their stems. Gave them water with Poseidonzime (seedling mix) to run-off since the coco was a bit dry.
2Dec - Moved Mona to the tent & keeping her humid dome on until she's ~2" tall. Blanca & Sierra are 2.5" with Jewel coming in at 2.25"

View attachment 666601 View attachment 666602

Subbed up dude gonna pull up a chair next to ole vladders and spark up a fatty [emoji106]

I toke therfore I am so naaa

Specs -
Medium - Ready Gro Coco

I'll watch this through gritted teeth. Bloody Americans and their legal weed! bah! You here me? BAH!

Good luck matey, don't think you'll need luck, you got it set to 11.

@Itisi Just know that if you ever visit the Pacific Northhwest you've got a place to get it free. The dispensaries charge anywhere from $7-15 a gram then there is a 25% tax on top for recreational. There's a limit to the amount of useable flower we're allowed on hand (8oz) but no limit on oil or edibles so I turn a lot of bud into canna-coconut oil to stay within limits.
Welcome all, garage gets kind of chilly but the tent stays decent.

@Itisi Just know that if you ever visit the Pacific Northhwest you've got a place to get it free. The dispensaries charge anywhere from $7-15 a gram then there is a 25% tax on top for recreational. There's a limit to the amount of useable flower we're allowed on hand (8oz) but no limit on oil or edibles so I turn a lot of bud into canna-coconut oil to stay within limits.
Welcome all, garage gets kind of chilly but the tent stays decent.
Those limits per person or per property?

I mean, can your missus have another 8oz and 4 plants?

Itisi
it is isn't it?

Those limits per person or per property?

I mean, can your missus have another 8oz and 4 plants?

Itisi
it is isn't it?

I was going to ask the same thing. Beat me too it!

I'm curious because I'm hoping the state I live in will legalize recreational use soon and adopt a similar approach.

It's per property. My missus gets most of the oil to battle her insomnia, always making canna-caps LOL.
I don't know what medical growers can currently have as far as plants & material go...they used to be able to have 12 plants.

Specs -
Medium - Ready Gro Coco

Very nice! And thanks for inviting me. [emoji106] [emoji2]

I love Mephisto and have a 24k seed, looking forward to seeing how yours goes.

Now, they seem to be stretching a bit, can you place the light a bit closer to the babies?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice one Vorko.. I'm in, front row seat ma maaan! [emoji111]️[emoji111]️

Looks like they need a few more lumens on 'em tho bud.. [emoji6]

Best of luck buddy. [emoji1360]
Ok, just want to clarify something here... who gets the space on the arm of the chair? This is like an airplane or theater, dude! [emoji13] [emoji121] [emoji28] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Back