Smokin' Screws Smokin' Screws - AFN Communal Summer 2018 Test Thread

I even try brushing it off into between hits, but after 4-5 days of very heavy use... it's totally clogged, at first i wasn't gonna mention, coz other's said it can't clog because of design, but I not find that to be true... I still love the thing, I just wanted to know if anyone else had issues like me, maybe not as heavy smokers as me maybe, am not sure why mine gets to that point but no-one else really has yet..
And that is why we do the testing and reviews. The straight scoop an how you found the product and honest input regarding how well it does or doesn't perform!

I find that it clogs at the very bottom. Even with putting it under the torch (which IS weakening the metal, I can feel it in the bend,) it still needs to be scraped out at the bottom (fine layer of ash compacts down there.) Nothing major, but just noting. Still dig it for a screen though, seems like it's still holding up much better and longer than a regular pipe screen (and it's yet to actually break/snap) at the handle yet.

I find that it clogs at the very bottom. Even with putting it under the torch (which IS weakening the metal, I can feel it in the bend,) it still needs to be scraped out at the bottom (fine layer of ash compacts down there.) Nothing major, but just noting. Still dig it for a screen though, seems like it's still holding up much better and longer than a regular pipe screen (and it's yet to actually break/snap) at the handle yet.
Yes, that's same place mine also seems to get clogged.. It gets just like how a clogged screen would get only difference we can clean these and reuse, which is a very nice thing...The metal certainly has weakened a bit after 3-4 cleanings, the spring action not as good as it once was. Mine , that end piece that rest inside bowl that is like little under 1/8" long, kinda fills with resin once it does brushing or snapping no-longer works to get good hits..

Last edited:
Here is a totally clogged Smokin Screws!

Attachments

• IMG_7135.JPG
    IMG_7135.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7128.JPG
    IMG_7128.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7129.JPG
    IMG_7129.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7133.JPG
    IMG_7133.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 77
Here is Smokin Screws the next Morning after cleaning... big difference..

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7138.JPG
    IMG_7138.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7139.JPG
    IMG_7139.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 68
Hey Ripper, quick question for ya... have you noticed yours to get clogged up after like 4-5 days of constant use? I seen some say it can't get clogged coz of design, but I have clogged mine 4 times so far...was making it hard to draw... I just haven't seen anyone else yet who has clogged it up like I have thats why i wanted to ask...

I said that. Probably because mine is suspended halfway down the bowl so when I put in a nug, the play in the bottom lets the spring stretch enough to keep breaking the crust.
Except for this Dark Devil. I'm smoking lately. The greasiest ash I've seen. I tried to get a picture of this almost black bud but my phone camera just won't get the colors true. I'll try with the Canon tomorrow.

How often would you say that you cleaned the other screens you have used? Or just changed them, tossing the old?

Hey Ripper, quick question for ya... have you noticed yours to get clogged up after like 4-5 days of constant use? I seen some say it can't get clogged coz of design, but I have clogged mine 4 times so far...was making it hard to draw... I just haven't seen anyone else yet who has clogged it up like I have thats why i wanted to ask...
mine was getting greasy every few days to the point I needed to clean her to work right.

.... yeah, as it cakes and bakes on, it's a little harder to clean,... I hear you on the metal tempering loss, but so far it's OK, still pretty much the same spring to it,... but the repeated blasting to red glow isn't a good thing long term maybe,.... guess we'll see! :paleo: I don't do that often though, only when lazy... I like to hold it upside down and pull the base back and let it snap onto the ashtray surface to knock bits loose during use, and/or just straight draw with flame to roast out stuck bits.... Cleaning, I'll heat it up a little, then dunk it in 91% alcohol and take a q-tip to it while immersed,.. this cleans it well and fast enough.... they are certainly using a high quality alloy!

Back