@GoodSmoke has just posted this question else where so I though i would get him on over to the journal and to start to answer it in detail...

"Hi, newbie here. I have been using remo for about 3 grows now, every single one of them has succumb to some strange problems. Currently my grow is experiencing Nitrogen Claw unlike any claw ive seen before, the last 3 did the same and within a week most if not all the foilage dried and died. Basically the central vein seems to exhibit unusual growth causing the leaves to cup downward while extruding upwards at the vein, then comes burning and leaf drop. Run off is around 6.0 using lytmus paper to test. I ran my PPM at 400 for the previous 2 this time i got a syringe and done it by the ML. All in a coco soil mix 50/50, 1 bio tab to remove the need for serious feeding.
I gave for the first and only feed for the current grow, 1ml Remo Micro and 1ml Magnifical. Within the day the signs began to show, im not sure if im doing something wrong or i have bad nutrients. I completed one grow using them with no real problems, slight chlorosis and a lil burn, i started feeding halfway through the grow as i just purchased the set and all was well, a successful harvest. Then problem after problem.
If anyone can help or has even had the same experience and can assure me the nutirents are at fault (bad batch im guessing) please, pipe up.
Peace."

The trick with remo is to throw the feed chart out of the window... it can be very N heavy as you have found out.

stick with the ratio's Remo suggest but cut your feed down to 1ml / 1.2 ml per LTR... some strains will go down to 0.7ml LTR, I have one growing now that only wants 0.7ml a LTR but likes the cal mag at 1ml

aim for a an EC of 1.2 / 1.3 no higher unless the plants tell you...

cut the Kelp at around end of week 2 of stretch... then move the kelp to a once a week feed, I use it on a mini flush with microbes about every 7 days (plus natures candy to feed the microbs)... this is a big saving on money, I also folia feed with the kelp (every day in veg)
are you under LED's ? if so you may find that you need to up the cal/mag on some strains to 1.2ml a LTR. if not you can cut that righ back

The trick with Remo is little is more... cut right back on everything down to near on a 1/4 - 1/3 of recommended doesage

here is feed chart i made for @St. Tom (he's all over remo as well)... now this has been made for photo's but can be applied to auto very easily (right click, down load and print)

the odd thing has change since i wrote this, I like to use Recharge for microbes now (works better in drip system) and i use a product called winters frost in week 7 to boost Tric performance and turps.

Don't panic me and Tom have gone through this as well but have come out the other side for the better... Remo is extremely good once you get the swing of it... don't give upon it, I nearly did but glad I didn't... now knocking out the park and into the next field

View attachment 1090203
Hi Slater.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Im using a qb226 3k with added 660nm at 130w dimmed to around 80%, chunky nug territory. Temps normally sit around 25 during the day but as its summer we have seen as high as 30c, back down to the usual 25 daytime.
Im currently growing a Barneys Pineapple Express Auto and a SS Balckberry gum.
Im having some issues with my express currently, Its growing in a 50/50 mix of compost and coco with a single bio tab added for extra N.
Currently sitting around 2 weeks flower.
2 days ago i added some remo bloom at 1ml per 1.8l, just off the top of a 2l bottle, also adding 1ml magnifical and 1 ml micro, ive heard bio tabs dont give enough PK in flower and contain little to no cal mag so thought i best had.
Over the past 2 days ive noticed the fan leaves from the bottom up begin to brighten between the vein's and feel papery to the touch.
Being ready to combat the problem, i gave a flush with nothing but water and checked PH. My run off started at 6.4 and dropped to around 6.2, i ran more water through but failed to read the PH after.... PPM's peaked 1000 then dropped to around 6-700.
Im still to see if it does anything.
Ive heard 5.5-6.5 is good for coco, but what about a mix?
Will 6.2 be too low for a mix and be causing a lockout?

Last edited:
Well it seems to be pulling through, the express doesnt feel as papery, the damaged leaves appear a bit darker. Still looks a little droop and the stems of most fans are purpling a bit, im not sure if shes hungry a little cold or too damp.
The gum was looking under the weather, i flushed with 6l of solution, per/l 1ml grow, 1ml kelp, 1ml micro, .6ml calmag. The runoff came out at 6.9 but dropped down to around 6.5 after the flush. Running purely coco for the gum with 2 bio tabs added in a 10l fabric pot.
Im going to let the ph adjust itself with more feeding and not flush it down lower as i suspect it already where it needs to be for now, shes reaching for the light again and looking alot healthier.

Ive looked everywhere to find whats going on, but i cant really find anything usefull, everything pointing to mag def yet it looks nothing like it. This is the onyl image i could find that shows what im experiencing. The spotting is getting slightly more prominent and moving up the fans a leaf or 2 a day. The older first leaves to experience it have now yellowed almost completely and are dying, the veins are staying dark like a mag def but not how the pictures of mag def ive found online show it to be. I have flushed and adjusted PH, brung the PPM's down from 1000+ to around 700, today i noticed all my new bud leaf coming out like upturned canoes and twisting, im going to re adjust PH again today as i didnt take a final reading the other day so i suspect i still may be wayyy too acidic, but i need thoughts on possible causes before i go ahead and kill another grow.

Attachments

• 021014e3-fea5-4018-8086-16fe70278a08.jpg
    021014e3-fea5-4018-8086-16fe70278a08.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 54
Ive looked everywhere to find whats going on, but i cant really find anything usefull, everything pointing to mag def yet it looks nothing like it. This is the onyl image i could find that shows what im experiencing. The spotting is getting slightly more prominent and moving up the fans a leaf or 2 a day. The older first leaves to experience it have now yellowed almost completely and are dying, the veins are staying dark like a mag def but not how the pictures of mag def ive found online show it to be. I have flushed and adjusted PH, brung the PPM's down from 1000+ to around 700, today i noticed all my new bud leaf coming out like upturned canoes and twisting, im going to re adjust PH again today as i didnt take a final reading the other day so i suspect i still may be wayyy too acidic, but i need thoughts on possible causes before i go ahead and kill another grow.

Have you posted in the infirmary? It's where the best help is. And I think the ph for coco is 5.8 or 5.9 can lock up P too high.

Have you posted in the infirmary? It's where the best help is. And I think the ph for coco is 5.8 or 5.9 can lock up P too high.
Slater pointed me here so i havent created an infirmary post, yet, i re ran the flush before, water coming out started at 6.2 dropped to 5.8 then rose to 6.4, this is a coco compost mix so i assume the ph should now be adequate. Hopefully see the end of upsidedown canoe leaves and the spotting in the next few days.
Gums looking under the weather again today, it has accelerated in growth though.

Slater pointed me here so i havent created an infirmary post, yet, i re ran the flush before, water coming out started at 6.2 dropped to 5.8 then rose to 6.4, this is a coco compost mix so i assume the ph should now be adequate. Hopefully see the end of upsidedown canoe leaves and the spotting in the next few days.
Gums looking under the weather again today, it has accelerated in growth though.
Slater will get you squared away. It's a tough plant and I know that it will work out as long as its growing.

Hi Slater.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
Im using a qb226 3k with added 660nm at 130w dimmed to around 80%, chunky nug territory. Temps normally sit around 25 during the day but as its summer we have seen as high as 30c, back down to the usual 25 daytime.
Im currently growing a Barneys Pineapple Express Auto and a SS Balckberry gum.
Im having some issues with my express currently, Its growing in a 50/50 mix of compost and coco with a single bio tab added for extra N.
Currently sitting around 2 weeks flower.
2 days ago i added some remo bloom at 1ml per 1.8l, just off the top of a 2l bottle, also adding 1ml magnifical and 1 ml micro, ive heard bio tabs dont give enough PK in flower and contain little to no cal mag so thought i best had.
Over the past 2 days ive noticed the fan leaves from the bottom up begin to brighten between the vein's and feel papery to the touch.
Being ready to combat the problem, i gave a flush with nothing but water and checked PH. My run off started at 6.4 and dropped to around 6.2, i ran more water through but failed to read the PH after.... PPM's peaked 1000 then dropped to around 6-700.
Im still to see if it does anything.
Ive heard 5.5-6.5 is good for coco, but what about a mix?
Will 6.2 be too low for a mix and be causing a lockout?

hey @GoodSmoke how ya doing, nice one for coming over to the journal and I'm sure we can get to the bottom of your problem, after reading through what you have written I think can see where you have gone wrong and that's the mix of coco and compost. Chances are this is throwing the PH out with a small lock out... I'm guess it's a PH issue due to that.

5.6 - 6.3 is the best for coco... I like to be in the range of 5.8 to 6.1... most compost I would prefer a higher ph of around 6.5... so this is where it get tricky with the mix you have made. You can see how its goin to give you some Ph issues...

Don't worry my man, I've done the exacted same thing in my early days by mixing mediums (to much perlite)... to correct it I flushed them out, then I made sure my ph stayed at 5.6 to 5.8 for the feeds. I Removed all damaged leaves so i can see if I have got on top of it... plus a good amount of folio feeding with kelp and Epsom Salts.

I can't comment on the biotabs, I haven used them so to be safe I would take this to the infirmary where @Waira will have a far better under standing of what may be happening and give you a better break down...

My best tips... either stick with coco, super soil or compost. Don't mix them up, each medium will have there own buffering to Ph and by mixing them you will be throwing that out. Even adding loads of perlite you can mess the buffing up of the medium (like I've said I've done it). It's best to buy pre mixed if that what you after then you know the manufacturer has worked out the ratio's for you...

my top tip, Canna Coco all the way and nothing else, its so worth the extra pennys for that safe of mind feeling.

Hey, I did think my compost mix could be at fault, 3 times this has happened now lol ive pulled about 1/2 an oz off all 3 due to it :( Ive grown in compost before with no problems even feeding a small nutrient schedule to help, i changed to coco a while back and experienced issues, i think underfeeding and PH going off my knowledge now. I changed back to compost thinking it would be easier and all the same round 2..
Live and learn.
Currently everything seems to be doing great, the express doesnt appear to have gotten anyworse. The effected leaves are still effected but no signs of progression, the buds are growing alot better than most if not all past experiences.
The bio tabs gave alot of vigour to the expresses development, looking like a really fast finisher. Only problem i think is with my compost mix its a little too heavy on the N, my leaves are almost black. Since the flush no problems with looking toxic though. I do have a slight bit of canoe that sprung up around some buds but they were in development during the problems so im not worrying atm.
Im going to go back to coco, currently waiting to pop a RQS Northern Lights which will be ran fully coco. Im using dollar store coco atm which is prettey garbage, its run off is always red/brown dark and dirty which ive heard is a sign of bad coco, its also got an unusally alkaline PH from my last runoff check. A guy i know uses the same stuff and pulls 8-9+ oz a plant though so it cant be that bad.
Ive got the feeding chart you posted downloaded and will be following it closely from now on adjusting where i need it.
Quick Question :
Whats your take on composting the plant waste? Im concerned about smell so im unsure ill do it but has anyone tried composting their harvest waste for growing?

Thanks for the advice and ill be sure to drop by once in a while to see how the grows are going and maybe even show off some of my own buds.

All the best.

Hey, I did think my compost mix could be at fault, 3 times this has happened now lol ive pulled about 1/2 an oz off all 3 due to it :( Ive grown in compost before with no problems even feeding a small nutrient schedule to help, i changed to coco a while back and experienced issues, i think underfeeding and PH going off my knowledge now. I changed back to compost thinking it would be easier and all the same round 2..
Live and learn.
Currently everything seems to be doing great, the express doesnt appear to have gotten anyworse. The effected leaves are still effected but no signs of progression, the buds are growing alot better than most if not all past experiences.
The bio tabs gave alot of vigour to the expresses development, looking like a really fast finisher. Only problem i think is with my compost mix its a little too heavy on the N, my leaves are almost black. Since the flush no problems with looking toxic though. I do have a slight bit of canoe that sprung up around some buds but they were in development during the problems so im not worrying atm.
Im going to go back to coco, currently waiting to pop a RQS Northern Lights which will be ran fully coco. Im using dollar store coco atm which is prettey garbage, its run off is always red/brown dark and dirty which ive heard is a sign of bad coco, its also got an unusally alkaline PH from my last runoff check. A guy i know uses the same stuff and pulls 8-9+ oz a plant though so it cant be that bad.
Ive got the feeding chart you posted downloaded and will be following it closely from now on adjusting where i need it.
Quick Question :
Whats your take on composting the plant waste? Im concerned about smell so im unsure ill do it but has anyone tried composting their harvest waste for growing?

Thanks for the advice and ill be sure to drop by once in a while to see how the grows are going and maybe even show off some of my own buds.

All the best.

Good to hear your on top of it now... going full coco is a good move, you will have that better control over the feed and Ph...

tip for the dollar store coco, give it a good wash. Put it in bucket fill it up so you have a sloppy slushy solution, leave over night drain and rinse (porous nylon garden waste bags do the trick... or large cloth pots). I know its bit of work but It will clean the coco of any residue salts and give you a clean slate. You could even charge it with some cal/mag after the clean... That's why I recommend Canna coco, it been properly stored, washed and bufferd, they do all the hard work for you... I use cheap coco blocks now and again and if i don't wash them I find i get a couple of weeks of chasing my tail, normally a Mag diff... I've also had full lock out before from not washing my coco, only the once though.

I compost every thing, my compost bin is a the bottom of my garden and just behind the hedge its next to is a school... even after throwing a load of washed bud / trim from hash making in there I can't smell it. Lids pretty good and tight plus with all the kitchen waste there is a general smell if of composting... mind you those twigs and branches take a good couple of years to fully break down, when we shovel some on the veggie patches always finding storks and branches in the compost.

how you doing @Slater my good friend hows ya puppy getting on

Back