To flush or not to flush, that is the question:
Been reading a bit recently on the subject of..... flushing. I know, some heated debate but I would like to know your thoughts @Slater and an interesting topic for Slater's Garden I reckon.
I'll put my cards on the table straight away - I used to flush, but now I don't and have not noticed a difference in the final smoke providing proper drying and curing is practised. Think it's a classic stoner myth to be honest.

To flush or not to flush, that is the question:
Been reading a bit recently on the subject of..... flushing. I know, some heated debate but I would like to know your thoughts @Slater and an interesting topic for Slater's Garden I reckon.
I'll put my cards on the table straight away - I used to flush, but now I don't and have not noticed a difference in the final smoke providing proper drying and curing is practised. Think it's a classic stoner myth to be honest.

ha ha you bring up the age old argument... :pighug:

I'm in the flushing camp because i use semi / non organic nutes... I don't flush organic, no need (I do the odd organic grow now and then)...

I have looked into this loads (I do produce a product for medical patients), I'm not a botanist so I have done my own experiments... near on a couple of years ago I blind tasted a group of friends over a period of time... all preferd the the flushed plants over the non flushed every time... they had no idea what I was up too, they haven't got clue about growing any thing so there personal opinions / ideology's could not taint the test... I also told them i was pheno hunting so they though it was diffident plants in the jars (they knew it was the same strain)... ha ha little did they know it was the same clones in both jars... every one thought they was smoking different plants, all wanted to break down the individual flavors and taste like they was testing wine... all chose the flush plants in the end with most saying the non flush tasted in their words "a tiny bit green / bitter"... Now i know this is not the best of experiments as there are so many variables like drying time, RH, etc etc etc... but it was good enough for me.

I can now tell if I haven't flushed for long enough ( I cure all my bud for minimum of 2 months and that's after the trim and burping)... There is a very subtle taste I can pick up on now if I don't flush for long enough... I will sat this that it's only with my long term strains that I pick up on it. Takes few grows on the strain to figure out it need a more flush that some of the others

Did I say I mix no tobacco in my joints, pure all the way... I also don't go by the white ash, to many variables to cause white ash... How tight you roll a joint is one... I think the cure is more important to white ash that flushing

I have read the opposing camp pappers and arguments but I have to say this the only research they have shown comes from the Tobacco / Food industry... not one paper yet written about it on cannabis... just years and years of experience by a massive grow force around the world that have come to the same conclusion

I would argue back and say that there some science behind it now, people are finding out why and if you talk to 2nd / 3 rd generation commercial growers they will be deep in the flush camp...

If you want more proof I will let green gene tell you why... 3rd generation grower, this man know his apples more than most... I owe my system to him, he has been the biggest influence in how G'room operates.

glad your back up and running i have missed your updates and your such a nice fella and help everyone who asks you including me :pass::bighug:

Thanks @St. Tom :pass::bighug:, I promise to be back on the up dates more often... there is one in the pipe line as i type

now I'm just getting the courage up to start to film my first you tube journal entry for this journal... I got a head cam and all for the job... still a little worried, silly I know seen as I won't be the only one from Blighty taking the chance but I can't help get the buttiflys

I'm in the flushing camp because i use semi / non organic nutes... I don't flush organic, no need (I do the odd organic grow now and then)...

I have looked into this loads (I do produce a product for medical patients), I'm not a botanist so I have done my own experiments... near on a couple of years ago I blind tasted a group of friends over a period of time... all preferd the the flushed plants over the non flushed every time... they had no idea what I was up too, they haven't got clue about growing any thing so there personal opinions / ideology's could not taint the test... I also told them i was pheno hunting so they though it was diffident plants in the jars (they knew it was the same strain)... ha ha little did they know it was the same clones in both jars... every one thought they was smoking different plants, all wanted to break down the individual flavors and taste like they was testing wine... all chose the flush plants in the end with most saying the non flush tasted in their words "a tiny bit green / bitter"... Now i know this is not the best of experiments as there are so many variables like drying time, RH, etc etc etc... but it was good enough for me.

I can now tell if I haven't flushed for long enough ( I cure all my bud for minimum of 2 months and that's after the trim and burping)... There is a very subtle taste I can pick up on now if I don't flush for long enough... I will sat this that it's only with my long term strains that I pick up on it. Takes few grows on the strain to figure out it need a more flush that some of the others

Did I say I mix no tobacco in my joints, pure all the way... I also don't go by the white ash, to many variables to cause white ash... How tight you roll a joint is one... I think the cure is more important to white ash that flushing

I have read the opposing camp pappers and arguments but I have to say this the only research they have shown comes from the Tobacco / Food industry... not one paper yet written about it on cannabis... just years and years of experience by a massive grow force around the world that have come to the same conclusion

I would argue back and say that there some science behind it now, people are finding out why and if you talk to 2nd / 3 rd generation commercial growers they will be deep in the flush camp...

If you want more proof I will let green gene tell you why... 3rd generation grower, this man know his apples more than most... I owe my system to him, he has been the biggest influence in how G'room operates.

Very interesting stuff - especially the greengene video. I totally agree with him that flushing cannot remove NPK and this is what most people think flushing does do. However, I never thought about how flushing will reduce sugars in the bud and I can see how this has the potential to affect taste when the herb is burned (I'm also a no tobacco man - mostly smoke from a glass bong). So, food for thought and I think I'm going to have to run my own "pepsi challenge" test like the one you did. Nice one.

Thanks @St. Tom :pass::bighug:, I promise to be back on the up dates more often... there is one in the pipe line as i type

now I'm just getting the courage up to start to film my first you tube journal entry for this journal... I got a head cam and all for the job... still a little worried, silly I know seen as I won't be the only one from Blighty taking the chance but I can't help get the buttiflys
just use a vpn and when you get going send me your utube link i cant wait

FWIW...for flavors and terps comparison in my humble opinion ...you can not beat vaping with the "Volcano"...they are expensive but taste is unreal...for me organic vs synthetics will be tested by me and others on my last grow of dinafem og cookies after it cures in a month, both were not flushed though.
volcano-digit-420x420.jpg

I was very fortunate to buy this half price from someone who didn't like going through the process of firing it up. It is somewhat laborious but for taste, I haven't found a method that beats it for flower.

Last edited:
FWIW...for flavors and terps comparison in my humble opinion ...you can not beat vaping with the "Volcano"...they are expensive but taste is unreal...for me organic vs synthetics will be tested by me and others on my last grow of dinafem og cookies after it cures in a month, both were not flushed though. View attachment 1091117
I was very fortunate to buy this half price from someone who didn't like going through the process of firing it up. It is somewhat laborious but for taste, I haven't found a method that beats it for flower.

Hi @idiopathic neuropathy - I've heard those are the mother of all vapes but don't you have to use a kind of bag to breathe into? That kind of put me off to be honest (and the price lol). The last and only vape I bought was a flowermate V5.0

https://magicvaporizers.co.uk/flowermate-v50s-pro

Didn't really get on with it at all - very little taste and the high was extremely disappointing. It is gathering dust somewhere.

This is my weapon of choice these days:

IMG_20190513_165101.jpg

If you say the Volcano gives as much of a high and as much taste as a bong hit then I will give it some serious consideration. Cheers.

Hi @idiopathic neuropathy - I've heard those are the mother of all vapes but don't you have to use a kind of bag to breathe into? That kind of put me off to be honest (and the price lol). The last and only vape I bought was a flowermate V5.0

https://magicvaporizers.co.uk/flowermate-v50s-pro

Didn't really get on with it at all - very little taste and the high was extremely disappointing. It is gathering dust somewhere.

This is my weapon of choice these days:

View attachment 1091269

If you say the Volcano gives as much of a high and as much taste as a bong hit then I will give it some serious consideration. Cheers.
Yup, with the bag, it's like nursing on mama.
Stick with the bong for the high!

Back