Grow Mediums Setting Up Your Auto Pots

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Auto pot setup is fairly simple but I thought that a tutorial with photos might be helpful. I'm setting up my second system, so I'll document it step by step.

First, open your package and make sure all parts are there and functional. Next you want to layout your pots in your grow area. This will help you decide their spacing.

Auto pot layout -6-12-2016.jpg

Next, you'll want to setup the aqua valves. Check them for function. For whatever reason, the caps on the top of the valves ( see pic ), do not snap on, but merely rest there, so be watching for them to fall off while your working with them.

Valve with cap removed.jpg

Remove the black hose connector from the valve. Wet the tubing then push it thru the cap about an inch. Wet the nipple on the valve and push the end of the tubing over it. Screw on the cap and tighten. Run the tubing to the next base/valve allowing some extra length in the tubing, plus 6” that you'll cut off and connect to the valve. Connect the tubing from the valve to a tee. Connect the tubing from the first valve to the tee.

Tubing with cap.jpg

valve nipple.jpg

IMG_20160612_181223614.jpg

Build your second string, ( if using four or more pots ) the same way, but use a 4 way connector instead. Run a length of tubing from the tee to the 4 way. Connect the tubing that will run to the reservoir.

4 way.jpg

You can lay them out any way you like, this is just how I will use mine.

Now, set up the reservoir. Take the top hat grommet and push it thru the reservoir from the outside. Take the length of tubing coming from the 4 way connector and push it thru the grommet and into the reservoir about an inch. Inside the reservoir, push the post on the filter housing into the tubing, then push it until it is flush with the grommet.

tubing into res.jpg
filter and grommet.jpg
filter.jpg

Now cut the tubing an in or so from the reservoir and connect the valve. Place your reservoir where you want it. You will want to raise it2-6” above the floor so that it may drain completely.

When you fill your res the first time, disconnect the line from the reservoir to the 4 way until water/solution runs out. This way, your valves will prime faster.

Place the root control disk in the bottom of the pot, gold side down.
Fill with soil, coco, or rockwool or mapito. I flush my coco with RO water, with 90-120 ppms of cal/mag and ph'd to 5.7. I do this about a week before I transplant. With soil, just add water to the reservoir and open the valve when your plant has well established roots.

And your ready to grow! Enjoy your auto pots!

Auto pot setup is fairly simple but I thought that a tutorial with photos might be helpful. I'm setting up my second system, so I'll document it step by step.

First, open your package and make sure all parts are there and functional. Next you want to layout your pots in your grow area. This will help you decide their spacing.

View attachment 583171

Next, you'll want to setup the aqua valves. Check them for function. For whatever reason, the caps on the top of the valves ( see pic ), do not snap on, but merely rest there, so be watching for them to fall off while your working with them.

View attachment 583172

Remove the black hose connector from the valve. Wet the tubing then push it thru the cap about an inch. Wet the nipple on the valve and push the end of the tubing over it. Screw on the cap and tighten. Run the tubing to the next base/valve allowing some extra length in the tubing, plus 6” that you'll cut off and connect to the valve. Connect the tubing from the valve to a tee. Connect the tubing from the first valve to the tee.

View attachment 583257

View attachment 583173

View attachment 583178

Build your second string, ( if using four or more pots ) the same way, but use a 4 way connector instead. Run a length of tubing from the tee to the 4 way. Connect the tubing that will run to the reservoir.

View attachment 583179

Now, set up the reservoir. Take the top hat grommet and push it thru the reservoir from the outside. Take the length of tubing coming from the 4 way connector and push it thru the grommet and into the reservoir about an inch. Inside the reservoir, push the post on the filter housing into the tubing, then push it until it is flush with the grommet.

View attachment 583246 View attachment 583247 View attachment 583248

Now cut the tubing an in or so from the reservoir and connect the valve. Place your reservoir where you want it. You will want to raise it2-6” above the floor so that it may drain completely.

When you fill your res the first time, disconnect the line from the reservoir to the 4 way until water/solution runs out. This way, your valves will prime faster.

Fill with soil, coco, or rockwool or mapito. I flush my coco with RO water, with 90-120 ppms of cal/mag and ph'd to 5.7. I do this about a week before I transplant. With soil, just add water to the reservoir and open the valve when your plant has well established roots.

:slap: amazing work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 583171

View attachment 583172

View attachment 583257

View attachment 583173

View attachment 583178

View attachment 583179

great i can use this to set mine up in next 5 weeks thanks for the pics aswell

View attachment 583171

View attachment 583172

View attachment 583257

View attachment 583173

View attachment 583178

View attachment 583179

I just realized I put the grommet for the reservoir in backwards. I put it in from the inside of the tank thinking it would be better for it to be flush with the inside of the tank rather than the outside, being that the pressure is being applied in that direction. In addition, the filter then sits flush against the grommet. As hard as it was to get in there, I'm not taking it back out. :rofl: It has been tested with about 4 gallons of water and letting it sit and then drain overnight into a sink with no leaks.

Guess I should have read your guide first. It is a lot clearer than the instructions even with their animated videos. :slap:

Thank you! That was my hope, to make things simple and easily understandable. The pic inside the res was a little tricky lol!

I just realized I put the grommet for the reservoir in backwards. I put it in from the inside of the tank thinking it would be better for it to be flush with the inside of the tank rather than the outside, being that the pressure is being applied in that direction. In addition, the filter then sits flush against the grommet. As hard as it was to get in there, I'm not taking it back out. :rofl: It has been tested with about 4 gallons of water and letting it sit and then drain overnight into a sink with no leaks.

Guess I should have read your guide first. It is a lot clearer than the instructions even with their animated videos. :slap:

Hey @pop22, planning an imminent autopot grow, do I need to use airdomes?

I've seen arguments both ways, and if not can I run straight soil with perlite or do I still need a layer of clay pebbles in the bottom?

Thanks for your help.

Back