Indoor Senseimillan Presents Grow Log 9/17 (Crystal Candy Auto / Auto Jedi Kush)

lwxl2d6.gif

JMC2Qbv.gif

@pop22 @BigSm0 Hoping you can help me out with something or tag someone who can. I test fit these, run them up full (310 watts by my Kill-a-Watt) and my heatsinks get hot to the touch. My thermometer I placed my thermometer 2 inches under the lights, where plants are likely to reach in this small space, and temps were at 103° F and rising so I turned it down to 205 watts and temps are around 95° F. Ambient room temp was 78° F. The cabinet is not enclosed, as it has no doors yet, and I just have my circulation fan blowing on it. @Robincnn assured me Slate 2 heatsink could run a QB304 at twice this much power and be safe, so should I be concerned?

Also, when I open my pot full, there is an audible buzz emitting from the driver or pot, I can't tell. Is this normal?

Last edited:
To better deal with heat, I might have to build a new QB panel mounted directly within the top of the cabinet, exposing the tops of the heatsinks to the external room. New topic to research: liquid cooling.

lwxl2d6.gif

JMC2Qbv.gif

@pop22 @BigSm0 Hoping you can help me out with something or tag someone who can. I test fit these, run them up full (310 watts by my Kill-a-Watt) and my heatsinks get hot to the touch. My thermometer I placed my thermometer 2 inches under the lights, where plants are likely to reach in this small space, and temps were at 103° F and rising so I turned it down to 205 watts and temps are around 98° F. Ambient room temp was 78° F. The cabinet is not enclosed, as it has no doors yet, and I just have my circulation fan blowing on it. @Robincnn assured me Slate 2 heatsink could run a QB304 at twice this much power and be safe, so should I be concerned?

Also, when I open my pot full, there is an audible buzz emitting from the driver or pot, I can't tell. Is this normal?

so if i got that right your thermometer sensor is places into the light beam about 2 inches away from the LED's/QB? If yes then it is totally normal that u get a lot of heat at this distance. Heat gets radiated in every direction, no matter if the material is has to pass through is heatsink or air.

Also a distance of 2 inches seems waaaay too close for me. Then considering that you put 310 watts on the QB's ( 77.5W per QB ) it is totally normal that you get about 100° F. I would assume that you try to reach a distance of 10 inches minimum. The PPFD would crisp your plants otherwise or you have to dimm the QB's down, this would be more efficient and you could get closer to the QB's.

Closing the room/cabinet and adding circulation wouldnt change that much, bc you only move the air but the heat radiation stays the same.

The "buzz" you are hearing comes from the driver and is totally normal. If you poti is buzzing you should get a new one :D

so if i got that right your thermometer sensor is places into the light beam about 2 inches away from the LED's/QB? If yes then it is totally normal that u get a lot of heat at this distance. Heat gets radiated in every direction, no matter if the material is has to pass through is heatsink or air.

Also a distance of 2 inches seems waaaay too close for me. Then considering that you put 310 watts on the QB's ( 77.5W per QB ) it is totally normal that you get about 100° F. I would assume that you try to reach a distance of 10 inches minimum. The PPFD would crisp your plants otherwise or you have to dimm the QB's down, this would be more efficient and you could get closer to the QB's.

Closing the room/cabinet and adding circulation wouldnt change that much, bc you only move the air but the heat radiation stays the same.

The "buzz" you are hearing comes from the driver and is totally normal. If you poti is buzzing you should get a new one :D

My goal is to have about 900 PPFD at 2 inch distance. Can you help me figure out how to set my pot for those results?

That's a relief about the buzz. Thanks @L0wbob2017

To better deal with heat, I might have to build a new QB panel mounted directly within the top of the cabinet, exposing the tops of the heatsinks to the external room. New topic to research: liquid cooling.

well like i said it is not a thing of the heatsink, but another thing to consider when thinking about liquid cooling is that you have to cool the liquid with a radiatior and you need pumps. All extra parts added can fail and if these parts in liquid cooling fail you mostly end up with destroyed equipment that had to be cooled... So you would need to add some extra safety with maybe a tempsensor that turns off the whole light to prevent damage

well like i said it is not a thing of the heatsink, but another thing to consider when thinking about liquid cooling is that you have to cool the liquid with a radiatior and you need pumps. All extra parts added can fail and if these parts in liquid cooling fail you mostly end up with destroyed equipment that had to be cooled... So you would need to add some extra safety with maybe a tempsensor that turns off the whole light to prevent damage

So just exposing the heatsinks seems like the best option, and figuring out optimal settings.

My goal is to have about 900 PPFD at 2 inch distance. Can you help me figure out how to set my pot for those results?

That's a relief about the buzz. Thanks @L0wbob2017

dafuq? man 2 inches? thats 5 cm ( for the rest of the world ) thats unrealistic. how you want to provide the whole plant gets at 2inches height? SCROC?

never the less just answering your question: Unless you have a calibrated LUX-meter from where you could calculate with about 10-15% failure rate the PPFD i dont think there will be a way for you.
You could get a ppfd meter from apogee but thats 500 bucks for a measurement...

I raised the Drive current to read 0.056A which got me up to 205 W power use.

Luminous Flux = 36086

Trying to figure this out. More reading :chimp:

Back