Outdoor Seed and Breed Early Garden

Reaction score
I had a great first year last season. I wound up harvesting near 1/4lb from three plants. 2 Seedsman Pink Kush Auto CBDs, which wound up purple, and 1 Babushka Black freebie from Kalashnikov Seeds.

This year, I'm interested in making my own seeds and crosses with the goal of having strains that have a reasonable amount of CBD (5% or better) and low THC (10% or less). I ordered some Russian Auto CBD reg seeds by NativCanna from Cannapot last year and will be using those for broodstock. I germed 5 seeds, 4 have popped and one is a late bloomer still on the warming mat but about to pop.

Of the 4 RAs that have popped, one is definitely a standout for starting strong, 2 seem so-so, and one seems to be a runt. I'm hoping the strong starter is a male so I can have that hardiness. This strain seems to be a pure ruderalis, so it'll be interesting to see how they grow. They'll be in 2-3gal pots with Fox Farm Coco Loco mix.

My first cross attempts will be a Sensi Afghani #1 auto and a RQS Northern Lights auto. Those will be in my raised bed with reammended super soil from last year. I started one of the Afghanis last year, but it was a runt and wound up no more than 8" tall. Hoping for better luck this time.

Does anyone have tips for breeding? I'm definitely a learn-by-doing person so I'm winging it a little bit, but would love to hear about your experiences/pitfalls when it comes to breeding and seeding.

Pics below! IMG_20200423_110930749_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110927655_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110924670_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110917348_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110913904_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110910067_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110414288_HDR.jpgIMG_20200423_110408080_HDR.jpgIMG_20200422_205617436.jpg

Hey mate that sounds like a great idea :smoking:I have read that it can be a little bit tricky to cross autos, but never done it myself. Ill be watching to see how it goes :cooldance::D

I've read the same, but I think a lot has been in the context of trying to create an auto from a photo or cross auto/photo. The auto trait is recessive and takes a few generations to stabilize.

Crossing autos with autos should keep the autoflowering trait, hopefully someone will let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks for hopping in for the ride!

After 3 days in starter cells on the warming mat under the 24/7 T5, NL and Afghani have both sprouted. Will probably leave them inside for at least a week waiting on a good patch of weather to put them outside in the beds.

The last Russian Auto CBD has been struggling for a couple of weeks now. It'll make its way to the trash if it doesn't fully poke its head out in the next 2 days.

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_145153652_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200426_145153652_HDR.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 64
Looks good man, good luck with the breeding. Pollen chucking can be fun, but can be a disaster also. You could end up with everything being seeded no matter how careful you are with pollen. If seeds is what you're after then seeds you will get. If this is going to be outdoors I would wait until the sacks on the male are about to explode. Then get abfan and turn it towards the intended plants to be pollinated turn that sucker on and spread some of that pollen and boom, approximately 800 million seeds per square inch lol I'm exaggerating but you get the drift. Good luck bro.

Looks good man, good luck with the breeding. Pollen chucking can be fun, but can be a disaster also. You could end up with everything being seeded no matter how careful you are with pollen. If seeds is what you're after then seeds you will get. If this is going to be outdoors I would wait until the sacks on the male are about to explode. Then get abfan and turn it towards the intended plants to be pollinated turn that sucker on and spread some of that pollen and boom, approximately 800 million seeds per square inch lol I'm exaggerating but you get the drift. Good luck bro.

Thanks FreeFlow, the intent right now is definitely to get some seeds, but hopefully not fully seeded plants :)

After reading a thread where @GeorgeCloney was breeding with the same Russian Auto, I may abandon trying to Chuck with it. It may be too wild to be useful.

Currently thinking of popping some of my Sensi Ruderalis Indica beans to look for a male. I think it would probably be a vast improvement on the F1 Chuck results

I had a great first year last season. I wound up harvesting near 1/4lb from three plants. 2 Seedsman Pink Kush Auto CBDs, which wound up purple, and 1 Babushka Black freebie from Kalashnikov Seeds.

This year, I'm interested in making my own seeds and crosses with the goal of having strains that have a reasonable amount of CBD (5% or better) and low THC (10% or less). I ordered some Russian Auto CBD reg seeds by NativCanna from Cannapot last year and will be using those for broodstock. I germed 5 seeds, 4 have popped and one is a late bloomer still on the warming mat but about to pop.

Of the 4 RAs that have popped, one is definitely a standout for starting strong, 2 seem so-so, and one seems to be a runt. I'm hoping the strong starter is a male so I can have that hardiness. This strain seems to be a pure ruderalis, so it'll be interesting to see how they grow. They'll be in 2-3gal pots with Fox Farm Coco Loco mix.

My first cross attempts will be a Sensi Afghani #1 auto and a RQS Northern Lights auto. Those will be in my raised bed with reammended super soil from last year. I started one of the Afghanis last year, but it was a runt and wound up no more than 8" tall. Hoping for better luck this time.

Does anyone have tips for breeding? I'm definitely a learn-by-doing person so I'm winging it a little bit, but would love to hear about your experiences/pitfalls when it comes to breeding and seeding.

Pics below!View attachment 1182221View attachment 1182222View attachment 1182226View attachment 1182227View attachment 1182228View attachment 1182229View attachment 1182230View attachment 1182231View attachment 1182232

First thought as a "trick for breeding" is: plant as many seeds as you can!
You dropped five, but said only one is strong, and not sure if it's male or female.
Drop fifty, get 10 strong, and then pick the very best.
It's a numbers game, and the more numbers you have, the better you can pick.
Otherwise there's the chance that the genetics will drift to poor quality stock.
Drop 50 beans, maybe get 40+ germinating.
At 2 weeks old, pick the best 30 for general strength.
Then again after another couple of weeks, look for the size and shape you want, cull down to 20.
As they flower, you're going to maybe have 10 f and 10 m, separate the males out.
Watch them flower, and see what qualities you want, e.g. fast or slow flowering, color, structure, flavors, etc.

First thought as a "trick for breeding" is: plant as many seeds as you can!
You dropped five, but said only one is strong, and not sure if it's male or female.
Drop fifty, get 10 strong, and then pick the very best.
It's a numbers game, and the more numbers you have, the better you can pick.
Otherwise there's the chance that the genetics will drift to poor quality stock.
Drop 50 beans, maybe get 40+ germinating.
At 2 weeks old, pick the best 30 for general strength.
Then again after another couple of weeks, look for the size and shape you want, cull down to 20.
As they flower, you're going to maybe have 10 f and 10 m, separate the males out.
Watch them flower, and see what qualities you want, e.g. fast or slow flowering, color, structure, flavors, etc.

That's very true, unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to work with. I wonder if I could scale it down to Solo cup size grows to allow for larger numbers in the same space. Or if that would restrict things too much

That's very true, unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to work with. I wonder if I could scale it down to Solo cup size grows to allow for larger numbers in the same space. Or if that would restrict things too much
A lot of your selection will take place when they are relatively small.
Don't have to grow out to full maturation all 30 plants.
But at least let a few of them get that far, choosing the best at each step on the way.

Back