Lighting Question about temperature and how high I can go in wattage

Reaction score
Hi,

Will in a few weeks time be starting my microgrow. Just takes a lot of time to get all the parts together with international shipping. Also I will have to travel first to get seeds, not even going to attempt the mail in Norway.

Anyway, I have a question regarding heat development from LED light. I want to know how much I can get away with in my tiny growbox.

HEIGHT =101cm DEPTH =40cm WIDTH = 92cm

Vent: 1 x High powered 4" Turbines Inline TT Extractor Fan - 100 mm A1 = 175 m3, adjustable
Active intake: 1 x 40mm turbo inlet fan
Plus another passive intake, here I can add more if need be, both active and passive.
ambient temperature in room where the growbox will be - 17 celsius, with a window that can remain open at all times perhaps taking it down to 15 celsius, depending on season.

So I want to go with a 300w LED minimum, will that work? And if so, how much higher can I realistically go?

Last edited:
Define "300w LED minimum" as 300 ACTUAL watts of led power will cremate anything in the box, and a "300w led" can vary from 40w actual power draw. Even then, even the lower wattage "Shenzhen Specials" need space for air circulation so, between that and your pot, there goes half your grow height without even thinking. That's a LOT of bondage needed to keep everything within 50cm of height, can't you make it taller and giver yourself a bit more flexibility?

It is absolutely pre-made and at a fixed height.

How about those COBS?

And would really a 300w LED cremate everything in that box? Is it because of heat or because of it being too much light?

My last grows were in a big room with 6 x 600w HPS of Cindarella99 papaya pheno by clone...but thing is, that was 2008, before that, and also during, I mainly focused on outdoor nordic climate strains.

So that is more than 10 years since my last grow experience indoor, I had a cfl cardboard box before that as teen reading Icmag, but other than that no experience.

So growing in this small ass cabinet is totally new to me, the equipment is totally new minus the odour control bit, the scale and form certainly different etc.

So thing is, I really don't know about using stuff as LED, what is good growing wise, what is the way to go for medium (coco, soil mix) etc.

Controlling height wont't be an issue though, square 1gal grow bags with plants grown in thight SOG and lollipop format, that is the one thing I've had time to study up on, some amazing micro sog's with high plant numbers and small space going on out there, some of the archive stuff on icmag is great stuff, had one guy who had perfected it there and had like a cult following, forgot his name. It is all about picking the right strain and do it 12\12 from day#1 in small containers.

It is absolutely pre-made and at a fixed height.

How about those COBS?

And would really a 300w LED cremate everything in that box? Is it because of heat or because of it being too much light?

My last grows were in a big room with 6 x 600w HPS of Cindarella99 papaya pheno by clone...but thing is, that was 2008, before that, and also during, I mainly focused on outdoor nordic climate strains.

So that is more than 10 years since my last grow experience indoor, I had a cfl cardboard box before that as teen reading Icmag, but other than that no experience.

So growing in this small ass cabinet is totally new to me, the equipment is totally new minus the odour control bit, the scale and form certainly different etc.

So thing is, I really don't know about using stuff as LED, what is good growing wise, what is the way to go for medium (coco, soil mix) etc.

Controlling height wont't be an issue though, square 1gal grow bags with plants grown in thight SOG and lollipop format, that is the one thing I've had time to study up on, some amazing micro sog's with high plant numbers and small space going on out there, some of the archive stuff on icmag is great stuff, had one guy who had perfected it there and had like a cult following, forgot his name. It is all about picking the right strain and do it 12\12 from day#1 in small containers.
I have a 1000 wide 600 deep 1200 high with 400 watts led, I just keep the lights tight to the top and adjust pot heights. I try to maintain 300mm to light in flower, 250mm pot height, leaves me 650mm for the plant to grow in.

Sent from my comfy chair
[emoji41][emoji2956][emoji848][emoji12][emoji42]

Yeah, height limitations will be an issue, I would probably be best off just growing the smallest of autos, but I really love some of these 'quick' and 'fast' versions from Dinafem and Seedsman.

1 gal grow bag might be too much actually for a micro sog, I've seen fairly big plants in 1gal containers.

I grow in soil with about 20% Coco and 10% vermiculite. I use old timer nutes which are easy. Easiest with least amount of work imo. Very forgiving too. Biobizz nutes are good too. @archie gemmill has a small space too.

Sent from my comfy chair

Here is my space, I use 5 litre plastic pots with a few extra holes. Girls are about 300 to 450 tall.
1731f706f747bfa1dd297feb21494017.jpg

Sent from my comfy chair

That is some nice plants, which lightning and which strain?
Four homemade cobs 50 w Chinese specials and a roleadro 200w cob. Plants on the back is msnl Bluetooth, back right autoseeds purple Stilton and in the front is Bombseeds THC Bomb. I lst and top if they look like they will be really tall. Otherwise I just lst.

Sent from my comfy chair

hi and :welcome: all led are different,watts isnt really watts,and with leds being measured in mfi,B&Q and luxems.
could change that belguim to throw the fuzz off your tail :eyebrows:

i grow in a 50x100x its taller than the number but i hang the light from a shelf not the roof.the light is 120cm from the floor 98cm from top of pot.seedlings really dont like to be closer than 70cm from the light,but as they grow upo can get to 25cm from the light late in flower.light is 180w i grow in 1,3,6 L pots.
:pighug:

Back