New Grower post harvest root exam

im not making any compost piles..i don't have a farm or garden . I took the rootball out, its only soil left..2 months old. Why would I have to discard 2 month old soil? Thanks for the replies..i'll get the cannazym and add it..apparently it should be done at least 2 weeks prior to re-planting in it. I have read dozens of posts saying that its perfectly ok to reuse soil, provided that there isn't a salt build up or infestation in it..i just didn't know if one must add something to get rid of the remaining bits of older roots. Thanks for the replies, happy growing!:)
@Vlad The Inhaler

Do you re-use your soil?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I read some people just leave them in (minus the rootball), and its ok...some say to add a specific chemical...names vary, to the soil, and it will turn the roots into nutes (mainly nitrogen) for the future plant. 1 week into an unknown seedling, will transplant soon into bigger container, and then final transplant will be back to this soil that the others were growing in. Was thinking of adding about 20% coco coir to the mix as well, but not sure if I will.
@Bailey

Do you do this?

I recycle all my soil. Properly amended, its fine. soil doesn't wear out. It can be somewhat depleted of NPK occassionally is low in trace minerals, but those can all be added back. I put rootball and all in a bin and yep, compost them a while, add some dry, organic nutrients like Grow More Organic Soil Builder, or Doctor Earth, a little Azomite, lime, epsom salts, and blood meal and or alphalfa meal, and let it cook 60 days or so. When ready mix with worm casting. Second use soil goes into another bin and composted again. 30% new soil is added along with the nutes/amendements.

The soil in this plant is 70% recycled............

DD-Cheese-pic1-1-30-2015.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I do plan on re-using it as it seems pretty common to re-use soil amongst growers. It would be quite impractical if I have to buy new soil for each plant each grow:) I just wasn't sure if adding a chemical like the one I mentioned is a must to get rid of the bits of roots leftover.

Ever see a house plant, that's lived in the same pot for years and still looks fine? How is that possible? People don't give soil enough credit What is it living on? I think I feel an experiment coming on.......

im not making any compost piles..i don't have a farm or garden . I took the rootball out, its only soil left..2 months old. Why would I have to discard 2 month old soil? Thanks for the replies..i'll get the cannazym and add it..apparently it should be done at least 2 weeks prior to re-planting in it. I have read dozens of posts saying that its perfectly ok to reuse soil, provided that there isn't a salt build up or infestation in it..i just didn't know if one must add something to get rid of the remaining bits of older roots. Thanks for the replies, happy growing!:)

I totally agree with @pop22 reused soil is absolutely fine some would even say it is better including my mother she uses her soil 3 times over before discarding it and she uses organic nutes like pop suggested. My mother uses biobizz and swears by it she just pulled 148 grams from her mazar using reused soil with only 250w hps

anyone who grows in soil should at least take a look at No Till growing, its even done in containers! I'm writing up an experiment along those line right now in The Lab!

I totally agree with @pop22 reused soil is absolutely fine some would even say it is better including my mother she uses her soil 3 times over before discarding it and she uses organic nutes like pop suggested. My mother uses biobizz and swears by it she just pulled 148 grams from her mazar using reused soil with only 250w hps

It doesn't look root bound to me, but I don't do soil. I could be wrong...

Why don't you try hydro? No need to mess with soil, and you can re-use the pebbles. ;)

It was my first grow and its complicated enough in soil..i have no idea how hydro would work and I don't live in a house with a yard and hoses to setup a waterpark in my small place:) Soil seemed the easiest to do it in. Upon further reading I will in fact get another bag of soil..its only 5$. It will be more expensive to buy all the ammendments and such to 're-condition' this soil it seems. A new bag of soil it is..im gonna exchange the coc I got last week for new soil. Thanks for the tips guys!

I re use my soil and coco with no problems at all . You only need to flush it right give it some enzymes n mycos and set it back to the correct ec n ph value and all good. Wouldnt do this if the plant in that soil had problems but with a normal vital plant i dont see any issues. Roots look ok to me there could be some more and more fishbone looking but they look normal for the normal Plastic containers..... get some Airpots and discover roots madness

It was a clump, but that's just because the rootball was holding everything together..in 5 minutes i shook the dirt off with some squeezing now and then and was left with just roots in my hand. My soil wasn't amended with anything to begin with..just mycchozziae?-whatever its called, so nothing to be depleted of. Since I was going to get something to get rid of the bits of roots left, it will actually be cheaper to get a new bag of soil rather than the chemical for the roots. I was going to grow in coco, but only after buying it I realized that they have to be watered everyday (which I knew), but they also HAVE to be fed with every watering, which in the end will cost more than what the plant may produce, if its a female..so returning the coco and getting new soil. The main reason I wanted to reuse is that I didn't want to drag home another bag of soil from the store as its not that light and its a long walk, and I live on the top floor and its summer and I cant stand heat lol. Thanks for all the help guys..new soil it is:)

Back