New Grower post harvest root exam

Reaction score
just finished my first harvest and was wondering what others opinions are with regards to the roots. Do these pics show rootbound? Does there appear to be anything wrong with the roots at all?
Was also wondering if the soil is ok to reuse as is. Most of the roots stayed together and there is very little in the soil. Is getting a chemical like Cannazym necessary? If so, how long before next use should I apply it to the soil? The soil was flushed twice prior to harvest and very little nutes were used in them to begin with (2 month grow). Thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

• AK soil.jpg
    AK soil.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 112
  • AK soil..jpg
    AK soil..jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 115
  • AK roots.jpg
    AK roots.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 103
  • WW soil.jpg
    WW soil.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 109
  • WW soil..jpg
    WW soil..jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 115
  • WW Roots.jpg
    WW Roots.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 104
As for the soil, I wouldn't use it again. Mine all goes to the compost pile and reused next year in the garden and flower beds.
Thanks for the reply. I do plan on re-using it as it seems pretty common to re-use soil amongst growers. It would be quite impractical if I have to buy new soil for each plant each grow:) I just wasn't sure if adding a chemical like the one I mentioned is a must to get rid of the bits of roots leftover.

I'm with @iampepe throw the whole root ball and soil into a compost pile and get some fresh soil, not worth the possible issues you could go through on a reuse, I've heard and seen others just chop the main stem and pop a seed into it, but imo soil should not be a shortcut to be taken

im not making any compost piles..i don't have a farm or garden . I took the rootball out, its only soil left..2 months old. Why would I have to discard 2 month old soil? Thanks for the replies..i'll get the cannazym and add it..apparently it should be done at least 2 weeks prior to re-planting in it. I have read dozens of posts saying that its perfectly ok to reuse soil, provided that there isn't a salt build up or infestation in it..i just didn't know if one must add something to get rid of the remaining bits of older roots. Thanks for the replies, happy growing!:)

I read some people just leave them in (minus the rootball), and its ok...some say to add a specific chemical...names vary, to the soil, and it will turn the roots into nutes (mainly nitrogen) for the future plant. 1 week into an unknown seedling, will transplant soon into bigger container, and then final transplant will be back to this soil that the others were growing in. Was thinking of adding about 20% coco coir to the mix as well, but not sure if I will.

Newbie to growing cannabis but...
Based on more than a few years (olderthandirt is more than a username it's a fact) of growing vegies and whatnot I gots to say ;
Those plants were by no means root bound. Overall look real good. Might could have been more developed actually but how to accomplish that will be up to others to advise.

Reuse the soil.
Only reason not to would be if you had some type of an insect infestation or fungal issue.
Give this a read for something to ponder: Endless Soil Remixing with the 3LBS

It would have been perfectly fine to have left the root ball in and simply planted next to it.
As you've already pulled the root balls out yer ready to rock it again.
Any remaining roots in the soil, leave em' be. No need to add chemicals to break em' down, they'll get used by the next plant as is.

@Eyes on Fire or @pop22 are the first members that come to mind that could walk you through the finer points of re-using yer soil.

Newbie to growing cannabis but...
Based on more than a few years (olderthandirt is more than a username it's a fact) of growing vegies and whatnot I gots to say ;
Those plants were by no means root bound. Overall look real good. Might could have been more developed actually but how to accomplish that will be up to others to advise.

Reuse the soil.
Only reason not to would be if you had some type of an insect infestation or fungal issue.
Give this a read for something to ponder: Endless Soil Remixing with the 3LBS

It would have been perfectly fine to have left the root ball in and simply planted next to it.
As you've already pulled the root balls out yer ready to rock it again.
Any remaining roots in the soil, leave em' be. No need to add chemicals to break em' down, they'll get used by the next plant as is.

@Eyes on Fire or @pop22 are the first members that come to mind that could walk you through the finer points of re-using yer soil.
Thanks for the write-up!:) Yes, the plants didn't reach their full potential..i did underfeed them quite a bit as it was my first grow and went with less is more, I just wasn't sure if the roots were an issue at all. There was no insect infestation though, and I really cant be sure, I may have smelt something of a 'basement' smell once I took the soil out..I guess you can see 'moldy' smell, but again..not sure, it may have been an 'earthy' smell that im not used to. Plants otherwise grew fine..but ya..they didn't reach their full potential...they were auto's and I was using cfl's only.

Thanks for the reply. I do plan on re-using it as it seems pretty common to re-use soil amongst growers. It would be quite impractical if I have to buy new soil for each plant each grow:) I just wasn't sure if adding a chemical like the one I mentioned is a must to get rid of the bits of roots leftover.
It doesn't look root bound to me, but I don't do soil. I could be wrong...

Why don't you try hydro? No need to mess with soil, and you can re-use the pebbles. ;)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Back