Mephisto Genetics Organic & DWC with a side of COBs - 4 Mephisto strains

Reaction score
This will be my second grow! First grow went extremely well, so I have high expectations for this grow as well and am expecting my ManBearAlienPig to be LARGE.

I am growing the following 4 mephisto strains along side 2 other strains found in my other logs.

Strains:
ManBearAlienPig
Heisenberg Special
Skyrone Stomper (Skywalker OG x TyroneStomper)
Northern Cheese Haze

Lighting:
8 citizen 1212 4k and 3.5k COBs, powered at 50 watts each. I will supplement with 2 blurple lights (mars hydro and vipar). For a total of 400 watts of COBs and 260 watts of blurple lights.
Total = 660 watts, 6 strains :)

Lighting Schedule:
19 hours on - 5 hours off (19/5)

Medium:

MBAP will be grown in a homemade 10 gallon hydroponics - 5" netpot, expanded clay pebbles, EcoPlus Eco Air 2 126GPH, 2 giant air rocks

Heisenberg, Skyrone, and NCH will be grown in 3 gallon fabric pots with 1/3 cocoloco, 1/3 cocoloco gbd's supersoil half strength, 1/3 cocoloco gbd's supersoil slightly stronger than full strength (Thanks @gbd )

EDIT!!! --> We ran out of CocoLoco in the last 1/3 layer. So all plants will now have a 1/3 layer of Botanicare ReadyGro CocoCoir Moisture. This will be the TOP LAYER, un-amended. -- (http://www.botanicare.com/ReadyGrotrade-Moisture-P67C5.aspx)

Nutes:
DWC will use AN Sensi Bloom A&B, AN Overdrive, AN Sensi CalMag, and Hydroguard. I do not plan to control the reservoir temps. Hopefully that will not hurt me!

Organic's will use AN CarboLoad, GeneralOrganics CalMag, and Recharge.

Extraction:
6inch ActiveAir 400CFM inline fan
iPower 1050+ IAV Virgin Charcoal

Tent:
48"x48"x80" (4x4x6.6)

Water:
I will be using RO water. I have decided to go this route because my tap water is extremely mineralized (300PPM). I will use extra CalMag in the organics to supplement for this.

Follow this grow if you enjoy high quality photos and fairly frequent updates!

Last edited:
Thanks @sanguine and @greengrassgrow
Let me know if you guys have any feedback for me as we go along! :)

First update!!
All of the seeds have been planted except for my Heisenburg... She hasn't germ'd yet and I think it has been over 48 hours. No signs of life. She would be my very first failed germination :(
MBAP is starting to sprout, not really to call it day 1 yet though.

All of the plants received a light spraying of RO water.

Also, last night when setting up the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 amendment layering, we RAN OUT of CocoLoco. Apparently the local hydroshop also shut down this month, so I stopped at another local place. They do not carry CocoLoco, so now we have 1/3 slightly over full strength supersoil with cocoloco, 1/3 half strength with cocoloco, and 1/3 Botanicare CocoCoir Moisture.
(http://www.botanicare.com/ReadyGrotrade-Moisture-P67C5.aspx) Every plant received the same soil and same 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 layering.

Thanks @sanguine and @greengrassgrow
Let me know if you guys have any feedback for me as we go along! :)

First update!!
All of the seeds have been planted except for my Heisenburg... She hasn't germ'd yet and I think it has been over 48 hours. No signs of life. She would be my very first failed germination :(
MBAP is starting to sprout, not really to call it day 1 yet though.

All of the plants received a light spraying of RO water.

Also, last night when setting up the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 amendment layering, we RAN OUT of CocoLoco. Apparently the local hydroshop also shut down this month, so I stopped at another local place. They do not carry CocoLoco, so now we have 1/3 slightly over full strength supersoil with cocoloco, 1/3 half strength with cocoloco, and 1/3 Botanicare CocoCoir Moisture.
(http://www.botanicare.com/ReadyGrotrade-Moisture-P67C5.aspx) Every plant received the same soil and same 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 layering.

For a 10 gallon res you will need more air, one thing that you have to keep in mind is your rez temps. If you do not have enough air and your temps are too high you will get root rot. I don't know if you have ever seen my autoxtreme journal you should check it out(it is where my 1lb plant badge came from lol) so I am assuming by going super big with your rez size you want really big roots. It will be a waste of rezivour space if you do not have adequate air supplied. I have a maximum O2 method that has been proved, basically 10 LPM per gallon of rez water you have. So for each 10 gallon site that would be 100 lpm,now that is not required to grow in DWC by any means however it would be counterintuitive to have a 10 gallon rez and not have enough air to fill it with roots. In my 10+ years of growing in DWC I find that the most common mistake DWC growers make is not having enough air. That is the whole point of DWC, more air to the rootzone, that is the thing that cannabis loves almost above all else air to its roots. Hence the emergence of the airpots and such. This is a picture of my roots from one of my autox's I was root bound in a 5 gallon bucket lol.
roots.jpg
I am subbed up for this one for sure, sorry if I sound like I am giving a lecture lol. Most who know me here know that I care about one thing and one thing only when it comes to DWC and that is sufficient air to the roots to get the biggest plants possible : ) happy growin and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

For a 10 gallon res you will need more air, one thing that you have to keep in mind is your rez temps. If you do not have enough air and your temps are too high you will get root rot. I don't know if you have ever seen my autoxtreme journal you should check it out(it is where my 1lb plant badge came from lol) so I am assuming by going super big with your rez size you want really big roots. It will be a waste of rezivour space if you do not have adequate air supplied. I have a maximum O2 method that has been proved, basically 10 LPM per gallon of rez water you have. So for each 10 gallon site that would be 100 lpm,now that is not required to grow in DWC by any means however it would be counterintuitive to have a 10 gallon rez and not have enough air to fill it with roots. In my 10+ years of growing in DWC I find that the most common mistake DWC growers make is not having enough air. That is the whole point of DWC, more air to the rootzone, that is the thing that cannabis loves almost above all else air to its roots. Hence the emergence of the airpots and such. This is a picture of my roots from one of my autox's I was root bound in a 5 gallon bucket lol. View attachment 752115 I am subbed up for this one for sure, sorry if I sound like I am giving a lecture lol. Most who know me here know that I care about one thing and one thing only when it comes to DWC and that is sufficient air to the roots to get the biggest plants possible : ) happy growin and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

Hey Derek! First, thanks for the feedback and advice! I appreciate the post and I wanted to detail my setup, just in case I missed something. :)

I had thought I had done my math right in getting this particular model. It seemed to put a shit load of air out for the water in my tank on my small photoperiod test drive, but that plant was only in the setup for a short period...
In your autoxtreme thread, you refer to liters per hour (LPH) but here you are referring to LPM. 10 LPM per gallon of rez water would be a LOT more than what I have by an order of magnitude... Can you clarify what unit measurement I should be looking at? Any pump suggestions for 5 gallons of water?

@derek420colorado

Last edited:
Update!!!
All of my Mephisto seeds, except Heisenberg Special, have been germ'd and sprouted! Today will be DAY ONE!
I have pretty much given up on the Heisenberg Special seed. I will try to germ another tomorrow most likely. I use the paper towel method and my TV receiver. Basically the same method that Mephisto uses... This was my failed germination in 14 total seeds. I don't think I should be un-happy with that? Anyways...

Of the Mephisto seeds that have sprouted, the MBAP is taking off the quickest. Neck and neck with the BlackBerry Kush that I also germ'd with it. Currently running half of the COBs at around 40 inches with humidity domes on them. My house is general fairly low humidity and even with my small humidifier, I want more humidity at this stage. Last note, it appears as though one of my media's has introduced some fungus gnats. I have some fly catchers hung up and the problem has contained itself in my tent so far and does not appear to be worsening.

I shall post some pictures when things become a little more exciting.

Back