New Grower NugNoob's - First Grow Adventure! AK-47's

You'll love Coco if you make the switch. The advice on the domes is correct they can cause damping off and wilting you have to be careful with their usage. However, if you use them correctly they really help you get a good fast start. The key is when they get to the point where they're losing their seed shells you need to raise that Dome up and let air underneath that's what the Pebbles do automatically so it's really great. I just lift those domes up a little bit each day and then remove them once the seedling is growing well.

OMG. I'm sorry bro. And scared as well. My next trip to the tent will be with a magnifying glass and bright tactical flashlight. So far I've only had the disgusting but harmless house centipedes. I've killed 3 in my tent in the past 2 weeks. Supposedly they only eat other insects, so I'm not too worried about them at the moment. But gnats, that's another story. By coincidence, earlier today I ordered up the sticky paper strips, and I think the next order will be for some mosquito bits to have readily on hand. Sending good vibes to Mercury and Jupiter.

OMG. I'm sorry bro. And scared as well. My next trip to the tent will be with a magnifying glass and bright tactical flashlight. So far I've only had the disgusting but harmless house centipedes. I've killed 3 in my tent in the past 2 weeks. Supposedly they only eat other insects, so I'm not too worried about them at the moment. But gnats, that's another story. By coincidence, earlier today I ordered up the sticky paper strips, and I think the next order will be for some mosquito bits to have readily on hand. Sending good vibes to Mercury and Jupiter.

I wouldn't stress, seriously. Unless you are over watering or have some crappy (stored outside) soil like I did (I just can't imagine that their was a gnat randomly in my house that found my grow tent and laid eggs) you shouldn't worry. Like you said, you've already procured a few "cautionary measures" to combat this. Also, I'd say get clay pebbles, they aren't expensive and they seem to work wonders for this sort of problem.

You'll love Coco if you make the switch. The advice on the domes is correct they can cause damping off and wilting you have to be careful with their usage. However, if you use them correctly they really help you get a good fast start. The key is when they get to the point where they're losing their seed shells you need to raise that Dome up and let air underneath that's what the Pebbles do automatically so it's really great. I just lift those domes up a little bit each day and then remove them once the seedling is growing well.

I know you said this on my "intro post" about considering switching to Coco. I guess I just didn't read up enough on it. I still don't fully understand why Coco is better than regular (low or no nute) potting soil, just better at allowing roots to grows better/faster I suppose? But yeah, I'll give it a shot for sure. Also I guess I kind of did the same thing as what you are saying, just a different way. I would leaf the dome on for 6 hours, come home for lunch during work, take it off... and put it on the next morning and take it off 6-8 hours later. Also I cut 3 holes into the dome so it would be able to evaporate a little bit.

Regardless, It sounds like baking the medium before is a way to "nuke" it of eggs. Ensuring a fair seedling stage.

Last edited:
Like me, you're assembling stretegies for your next grow. And so in time (hopefully sooner) we'll be winning awards, counseling others, and growing some of the finest weed to be had. Fortunately, I started with coco, so lucky there. But after spending more time in the forums, I'm thinking of switching from frabric pots to auto pots for my 2nd try.

I was just scrolling through, I also killed a baby in my first grow. A badge of honor... ish...

Are your soft pots sitting in your run-off? That could absolutely aid in the fungus, unless your soil has myccrohorzea.. whatever that damn word is. That's a somewhat symbiotic fungus that aids root growth

:pass::vibe:

I wouldn't stress, seriously. Unless you are over watering or have some crappy (stored outside) soil like I did (I just can't imagine that their was a gnat randomly in my house that found my grow tent and laid eggs) you shouldn't worry. Like you said, you've already procured a few "cautionary measures" to combat this. Also, I'd say get clay pebbles, they aren't expensive and they seem to work wonders for this sort of problem.

I know you said this on my "intro post" about considering switching to Coco. I guess I just didn't read up enough on it. I still don't fully understand why Coco is better than regular (low or no nute) potting soil, just better at allowing roots to grows better/faster I suppose? But yeah, I'll give it a shot for sure. Also I guess I kind of did the same thing as what you are saying, just a different way. I would leaf the dome on for 6 hours, come home for lunch during work, take it off... and put it on the next morning and take it off 6-8 hours later. Also I cut 3 holes into the dome so it would be able to evaporate a little bit.

Regardless, It sounds like baking the medium before is a way to "nuke" it of eggs. Ensuring a fair seedling stage.
Hey folks apologies if ivr misread this but l found cutting the arse off a plastic bottle and puttin it over young plants keeps em moist but lets em breathe

I was just scrolling through, I also killed a baby in my first grow. A badge of honor... ish...

Are your soft pots sitting in your run-off? That could absolutely aid in the fungus, unless your soil has myccrohorzea.. whatever that damn word is. That's a somewhat symbiotic fungus that aids root growth

:pass::vibe:

No I never let them sit in run off for long. The picture yesterday where I did a mini flush has them raised up for quicker drainage, then I took away run off and checked on them a few times to make sure there was no more water underneath. I also always keep them raised up about a quarter if an inch on a few bamboo sticks underneath.
Hey bro,

how are you doing today?

Fine I guess, no sign of snymore gnats so far. Thanks man!

Hey folks apologies if ivr misread this but l found cutting the arse off a plastic bottle and puttin it over young plants keeps em moist but lets em breathe

Yeah if you look at some of my earlier posts I had humidity domes early on. This grow has hit a few snags recently and has been slow from the start. Thanks for stoppong in!

Coco let's you feed it more, so the plants can grow pretty fast. You also feed hydro nutrients in Coco.

Back