Lighting No more mysteries about Emerson Effect, Flower Initiation, 80 vs 90 CRI

Hi pal ,,,, why wouldn't I want to use driverless cobs , the ones used in flood lighting for example,,:pop:

It depends on how much they cost, how hot they get, and how efficient they are. No matter what type of LED you're considering I recommend asking the same 3 questions about any LED fixture.

This is fundamental shit that every LED manufacturer knows about their fixtures. If you don't get an immediate, straightforward answer then they're hiding something so don't buy that light! If it's $2/Watt or more then don't buy that light! Not because it won't grow weed, but because there are much better deals out there. I'll include the specs from The Cannon as a basis for comparison:

1. What is the cost in dollars per watt (using the wattage at the wall, at full power) $319/240W = $1.33/Watt for a single Cannon (11/5)
2. What is the efficiency in umol/J at full power? 2.0umol/J for The Cannon
3. What is the heatsink temperature at full power? ~120F for The Cannon

Compare these figures to the flood light to see if it's a good buy for the garden. Honestly I doubt it will be. I've looked into a few different potential hacks/money-savers like LED bars for the top of your truck, but in my experience there's always something about them that makes it a bad idea. My guess is the floodlight will be hot, inefficient, and not much cheaper than an LED growlight with a driver.

If the first three questions check out, then make sure the color temperature is somewhere around 3000K-3500K, the maximum I'd use for growing is 5000K.

Happy growing!

was this last post the definite answer because it's been years since this write-up and this entire post has no photos!

Just saying, the Emerson Effect does really work, even with Autos! You can even now source your own parts for one for under 30$ or hit me up, I can build one fairly quickly and almost any spectrum including UVA/B/C.

Cheers.
20211022_010354.jpg

I just sprouted a bunch of banana pepper and jalapeno seeds and my goal for tomorrow is to come up with a way to build 3 little chambers to test 3 different Quantum Boards: 3000K 80CRI, 3000K 90CRI, and 4000K 80CRI.

If all goes to plan I'll have plants under lights by the end of the weekend and we'll see how they do. I'll see if I can get some PPFD measurements as well.

I just sprouted a bunch of banana pepper and jalapeno seeds and my goal for tomorrow is to come up with a way to build 3 little chambers to test 3 different Quantum Boards: 3000K 80CRI, 3000K 90CRI, and 4000K 80CRI.

If all goes to plan I'll have plants under lights by the end of the weekend and we'll see how they do. I'll see if I can get some PPFD measurements as well.
Doing that test with a bunch of clones might be more applicable, but have fun, and I will be curious to see what you find out. :pighug:

Back