Outdoor New Alaskan Autos Mk.II

Essentially, I have MANY auto beans to run. I want to run them under Alaskan sun with some assistance. I'm not afraid to set one aside(not breed) due to an inability to deal with Alaskan summers. Next year I will procure a batch of the raw indica x ruderalis beans. I have to wait for the perfect window of the 104 days of growing season we now have. If it ends up being only 90 days of acceptable growing season I will not complain. That's what the hut is for. 12 weeks is plenty good, if you ask me. I'm going to pick and choose for the beans of the mother that rode out the Alaskan summer with the least problems. IF I run Stardust and JoHo auto, and crossbreed, I will run the sons and daughters of the JoHo auto hybrids with Stardust next year. I have far too many tried and true photoperiods I could play with, hybrid, or backbreed during the cold months. When/if the Stone Dragon Moonstone bundle arrives, I may change my tune to Moonstone auto x Jock Horror fem auto. Hard to say. I want to give Flash a fair shake.

Whoah! These guys mean business! Thanks for all the freebies! I'm itchin' to try some of these out. Spot on, trailanimal, thanks for the recommendation! Definitely going to be breedin' the piss out of these.
IMAG0407.jpg

/edit Moonstone Bundle with 4/20 promo.

Today: Low of 44f, high of 67f. Another week or two perhaps. As much as I'd like to run some Moonstones this summer, I will stick with the Stardust x Jock Horror & Stardust x Stardust cycle. It's good to have extra ammo in case of germination failure, though. Time will tell. Anyone have any anecdotes of outdoor growing at somewhat low temperatures?

It's been a couple of days since I cut in the vents. The high and low have been pretty good just with the vents wide open. I'll cut a little triangle of plywood, paint it white, and mount it on hinges to cover the gable peak vent. I'll get a little rubber boot to cover the 4" intake vent. I may cut in a second 4" here in a few weeks when it gets hotter, based on temperature observations. Should still be on track to germinate this weekend or next. I have four of these little solar powered fans to use for circulation and agitation, they only work very well in high sun, but they're better than nothing. :D

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

/edit The "indoor" sensor is on the water thermal trap. The "outdoor" sensor is on the soil surface of one of the five gallon buckets. I'll switch the "indoor" sensor to the soil surface and the "outdoor" to the floor of the hut tomorrow and leave them there for a few days. Just getting a feeling for the late-spring/early-summer temps right now.

/edit/edit I have this sneaking suspicion that tomato cages or staking/tying will be necessary at some point. The Flash Stardust genetics are purported to be medium in size, the Nirvana Jock Horror are purported to be super-autos. Time will indeed tell. Flash used to have a pretty crappy reputation on size and yield, however auto. Nirvana Jock Horrors seem to be of semi-auto genetics with a leaning to the auto side. Germination will determine the specimen actually planted. If beans don't germ, they will be replaced until beans do.

Last edited:
Looking good mate, having plenty of vents and intakes that you can open and close sounds like it will give you a little more control over temps. The fans might need an upgrade though, what kind of max temps are you expecting?

Just trying to be sure I can keep the temp under 90f in case we get one of the oddball summers in which we may see 85f in July. That would cook my little plant hut for sure.

Back