Outdoor My first all auto outdoor grow

This will be one of the deciding factors for me in terms of growing autos indoors. With my photo grows I've pretty much got my system down, I aim for simplicity in terms of time/effort/overhead, and quality in terms of the bud/medicine. I've been growing for about 4 years and I've had a fair amount of time to experiment in the past, but currently I don't have as much. So hopefully the autos won't take more than a few adjustments (if anything at all other than light periods?).

On another note, I'm a little disappointed with my Mephisto seeds so far. I've attempted to germinate 15 seeds altogether from a bunch of different breeders. Of my "non-Mephisto" seeds 8 out of 9 have sprouted, with my Mephistos only 4 out of 6 popped. Oddly, the two that have not popped are both Whites -- one Walter and one Skylar. I'll keep them in damp soil for a while, I've had some really late starters in the past, but most of the others will go outside in a couple of days.

If you have problems with germ rates on mephisto, send them a message and tell them what happened. Wouldnt surprise me if they replaces the seeds.

Auto generally seem to be fairly light feeders. That i find to be the biggest difference. The only real trick is to start feeding young and progressively strengthen nutrients. Its all about the first 30 days to set the plant size framework. As an added benefit, growing autos will only make you a better photoperiod grower.

Well, this grow will in part be a lesson in what happens when I do things in less than optimal ways... I was reading and learning as I was moving along with this grow, and I found some information too late to be useful. I was operating under the primary objective that I should not let the plants stay in their sprouting pots long enough for the tap root to hit the bottom of the pot... what I did not know at the time that I planted them, were techniques like double potting with a pot with slits so that they could be transplanted without disturbing (best case scenario) or destroying (worst case scenario) the roots. I'm thinking in the future I could also sprout them in air pots, and then drop the whole air pot into the ground.

I've been a gardener for most of my 50+ years, and I don't ever recall intentionally transplanting plants this young. There was no way it would go well. If they were photos, I wouldn't worry too much, they'd have plenty of veg time to recover. These autos though, from what I understand, will be stunted. Well, between that and the cold nights we get here, at best they'll be "cute". But no worries, this summer grow is mostly for fun, we don't need the meds.

The one that's by itself is a Red Devil, my wife thinks those are beautiful so we put one in with the veggies.

05.26.18_main-planting-day.jpg 05.26.18_red-devil_planting-day.jpg 05.26.18_mephs_planting-day.jpg

Happy gardening! :cheers:

Hey Humanrob...

Could I just call you Rob? [emoji481][emoji482]

You know when I sprout a seed a lot of times I'll put it in a pretty good size pot usually a 1 gallon pot that's my usually transplant procedure not always but that's what I usually do I let it sit in there for a week maybe 2 at Best and then I'll transplant to a home pot. But with that being said.
myself with my experience I like to take my germinated seed and stick it in its home pot right from the get-go.
Then there is no trauma that way.
So have your soil prepared and ready especially if it's an auto although the auto of these days aren't so fickle still having a ready soil is the best option.
I've never lost one yet doing it that way....
just my two cents [emoji482]
happy growing to you .[emoji269][emoji268][emoji267]
Well, this grow will in part be a lesson in what happens when I do things in less than optimal ways... I was reading and learning as I was moving along with this grow, and I found some information too late to be useful. I was operating under the primary objective that I should not let the plants stay in their sprouting pots long enough for the tap root to hit the bottom of the pot... what I did not know at the time that I planted them, were techniques like double potting with a pot with slits so that they could be transplanted without disturbing (best case scenario) or destroying (worst case scenario) the roots. I'm thinking in the future I could also sprout them in air pots, and then drop the whole air pot into the ground.

I've been a gardener for most of my 50+ years, and I don't ever recall intentionally transplanting plants this young. There was no way it would go well. If they were photos, I wouldn't worry too much, they'd have plenty of veg time to recover. These autos though, from what I understand, will be stunted. Well, between that and the cold nights we get here, at best they'll be "cute". But no worries, this summer grow is mostly for fun, we don't need the meds.

The one that's by itself is a Red Devil, my wife thinks those are beautiful so we put one in with the veggies.

View attachment 911132 View attachment 911131 View attachment 911130

Happy gardening! :cheers:

Sent from my garden [emoji482]

Started this Brooklyn Sunrise auto under 24 hours of light(sun during the day and LED at night) for 21 days and planted the hercules airpot directly in the ground...112 grams dry
brooklyn sunrise.JPG

hercules airpots direcly planted in the ground.JPG

Hey Humanrob...

Could I just call you Rob? [emoji481][emoji482]

You know when I sprout a seed a lot of times I'll put it in a pretty good size pot usually a 1 gallon pot that's my usually transplant procedure not always but that's what I usually do I let it sit in there for a week maybe 2 at Best and then I'll transplant to a home pot. But with that being said.
myself with my experience I like to take my germinated seed and stick it in its home pot right from the get-go.
Then there is no trauma that way.
So have your soil prepared and ready especially if it's an auto although the auto of these days aren't so fickle still having a ready soil is the best option.
I've never lost one yet doing it that way....
just my two cents [emoji482]
happy growing to you .[emoji269][emoji268][emoji267]

Sent from my garden [emoji482]
Sure, anyone can call me Rob. :cheers:

I agree... except... I really wanted them in the ground. I've learned too late for this season, that there are better ways to get them there.

Last year when I put auto seeds directly into the ground the nights were too cold, and when they finally popped several were either eaten or trampled within the first few days. Sometimes it takes a couple of seasons to get it right. Moving forward I'll try one of the air-pot methods, that looks like the best compromise for autos. I'll also probably try more in pots. The problem there is I have a dozen going now, and I don't have room to start a dozen indoors in 3 gallon (or bigger) pots.

I have done both of this methods and they both work very well, especially the double planted pots(aka instatransplant pots) https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...ictorial-and-root-restriction-stunting.64509/
Looks like an excellent solution!

Weed surrounded by lettuce = sweet!!
Yeah, we're really mixing them up this year. :)

Started this Brooklyn Sunrise auto under 24 hours of light(sun during the day and LED at night) for 21 days and planted the hercules airpot directly in the ground...112 grams dry
View attachment 911206
View attachment 911205
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Most autos probably don't have that potential, but if I have one that does, I want to give it the space to be all it can be... as they say.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Most autos probably don't have that potential, but if I have one that does, I want to give it the space to be all it can be... as they say.

That was the second lowest yield I had that season. Your biggest struggle is certainly the limited direct sunlight....still though, there is certainly autos that have that potential!!

Back