Must read! Lst difficulties

Marthajeep

Americannabis
Reaction score
Hey AFN folks! It’s been over a decade since I’ve grown last and times have changed to say the least. So it’s time to grow! So I have two plants growing both around 3 weeks from germ. My setup is a 1,000w led 30” above with dimmers, my temp stays around 77 and humidity right about 50. No nutes. I’m growing RQS gorilla auto and Autoseeds dreamberry (trifoliate) both of which are just bellow 3.5 inches currently at day 20. Last night I started lst with no problems, but this is my question, I understand the point behind lst is to provide more light to the under sites, but my plants are so short and bushy that even after tying down I’m not really getting much more light to lower nodes. So is the fact that the top is being held down going to allow for the lower nodes to grow through the leaves even though they aren’t really getting much more light? I’ll include a pic of each (gorilla, gorilla side, dreamberry), post lst. Advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 42A285B8-BEEE-4F60-9A52-1089E5AABE74.jpeg
    42A285B8-BEEE-4F60-9A52-1089E5AABE74.jpeg
    731.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 9756C94A-FAFE-4550-9CA0-DE1083958E2F.jpeg
    9756C94A-FAFE-4550-9CA0-DE1083958E2F.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 147
  • ECE0E2B0-92A5-47BE-8AAA-7FC44039364D.jpeg
    ECE0E2B0-92A5-47BE-8AAA-7FC44039364D.jpeg
    919.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Welcome to the AFN and welcome back to growing. I'm in the same boat as you. New-ish to the AFN, recently returned to growing and also have a plant that's at the same stage as yours. From what I understand, the deal with LST is that by bending/lowering the top of the plant the auxins (hormones) that are heavily distributed to the top of the plant get distributed to the lower bud sites which kind of tricks them into thinking that each one is the top. So, it's not a matter of much how much light reaches them ..although the light certainly helps.

Hey AFN folks! It’s been over a decade since I’ve grown last and times have changed to say the least. So it’s time to grow! So I have two plants growing both around 3 weeks from germ. My setup is a 1,000w led 30” above with dimmers, my temp stays around 77 and humidity right about 50. No nutes. I’m growing RQS gorilla auto and Autoseeds dreamberry (trifoliate) both of which are just bellow 3.5 inches currently at day 20. Last night I started lst with no problems, but this is my question, I understand the point behind lst is to provide more light to the under sites, but my plants are so short and bushy that even after tying down I’m not really getting much more light to lower nodes. So is the fact that the top is being held down going to allow for the lower nodes to grow through the leaves even though they aren’t really getting much more light? I’ll include a pic of each (gorilla, gorilla side, dreamberry), post lst. Advice is much appreciated!

@OttoCBD is right. Small young fan leaves are immature and do not photosynthesize nor transport water as efficiently as older leaves. LST can generate new growth and more bud sites.

It's a really short plant that doesn't need any training yet imo.

@OttoCBD is right. Small young fan leaves are immature and do not photosynthesize nor transport water as efficiently as older leaves. LST can generate new growth and more bud sites.

It's a really short plant that doesn't need any training yet imo.

I gave it a day and a few tucks. I know I was told to leave them alone, but isn’t this what I should be aiming for? 5+ new main colas?

Attachments

• B77D6727-CAA1-4ED8-A3E7-A63B4A82ADC4.jpeg
    B77D6727-CAA1-4ED8-A3E7-A63B4A82ADC4.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 106
You will soon find that you have tremendous opportunities to train them. Ultimately I adjusted my training almost every day. ended up with something like this. Was totally clueless to start. The plants will tell you what you can do with them. Be patient. You will do great. Plants look very happy.

Attachments

• 20200213_065056.jpg
    20200213_065056.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for
Start training as soon as possible, here's a couple of pic's of some old grows

I start as soon as I'm confident I wont break the stem

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

Thanks for posting the photos - a huge help! It's my first attempt at growing (only 2 sweetseeds fast bud auto #2 - I'm a couple of weeks in). I first tried attaching to the side of the pot, but it's cloth & the next day I saw that the little bugger had just reverted to upright, dragging the side of the pot in Tonight I tried your method - let's see what the deal is tomorrow. Thanks again

Agreed

You will soon find that you have tremendous opportunities to train them..
That's certainly the truth. I've got one plant that's 24 days old. Yesterday, I was hard pressed to see where I might be able to train. This morning, I woke up and there were plenty of places that could be tied down.

Back