Indoor Multi Strain Auto Grow by Pop22

What I believe I'm seeing is better production in smaller pots. I think it will vary with some strains but overall I'm trying to see what size pots will give the most bud per sq.ft. So far, I'm seeing 2 gallon ( 8L ) pots as being the sweet spot, but I've only been testing this the last couple of grows. Like the Pineapple Poison. Its not dry yet but estimates based on volume say 2.5 ounces from the 2 gallon pot and three ounces from the 3 gallon pot. Based on the space the canopy of each took up, I could grow 2-3 in three gallon pots ( I think 3 might be crowded ) or four 2 gallon. based on this very limited data, the 2 gallon pots will produce and ounce more. Look at that Blue Dragon CBD in the 2 gallon pot. Branches tight to the plant, the canopy is narrow, I could get at least 9 of them in my tent. 9 of them could give me damn near a pound, maybe more!

Yes, SOG is best done with a single strain. I've been growing multistrain in this tent just for fun, not even trying for any kind of production, just being happy with whatever I get. Low stress growing lol!

Damn pretty colors.
Not bad fer a small pot.
I'm eventually gonna have to wrap my head around small/er pots. I'd only go to small/er pots if I were doing a sea of green run. I don't want to grow different strains in small/er pots on one run. It's cool to see different strains in one tent and enjoy the different ways the strains grow together. I just don't want to deal with keeping light exposure even between the ladies.
That being said, I like to grow, for the most part, for production. I want to grow, whatever strain it may be, to it's maximum.............with in reason. That's why I like big pots and big pots are easier/better with organics.

A sea of green means more work in almost every aspect.

Is there a difference in the amount of production between a SOG and fewer but bigger pots growing for size. Is the more work involved in a SOG worth a production increase, if there is any.

LOL! Maybe I should start a thread about it!

What I believe I'm seeing is better production in smaller pots. I think it will vary with some strains but overall I'm trying to see what size pots will give the most bud per sq.ft. So far, I'm seeing 2 gallon ( 8L ) pots as being the sweet spot, but I've only been testing this the last couple of grows. Like the Pineapple Poison. Its not dry yet but estimates based on volume say 2.5 ounces from the 2 gallon pot and three ounces from the 3 gallon pot. Based on the space the canopy of each took up, I could grow 2-3 in three gallon pots ( I think 3 might be crowded ) or four 2 gallon. based on this very limited data, the 2 gallon pots will produce and ounce more. Look at that Blue Dragon CBD in the 2 gallon pot. Branches tight to the plant, the canopy is narrow, I could get at least 9 of them in my tent. 9 of them could give me damn near a pound, maybe more!

Yes, SOG is best done with a single strain. I've been growing multistrain in this tent just for fun, not even trying for any kind of production, just being happy with whatever I get. Low stress growing lol!
i was thinking of trying out a 8L pot in my set up i run 8-9 plants in 4x4 i use 10L pots right now but i think the slightly smaller one will work just as well
1605147140616.png
1605147300442.png

What I believe I'm seeing is better production in smaller pots..........
I look at productivity in terms of tent area, the weight (oz.) per square feet. What do you see with your grows in terms of yield (weight) per sq. foot of tent area? What do you see a normal for tent growing? What is the optimal plant size to get maximal yield in a tent?

I've often had 8 plants jammed in my 12.5 sq. ft. tent (about 1.5 sq. ft./plant) and get an average 3 oz./plant or 2 oz./sq. ft. I recall the other day someone remarking proudly that they get ~4 oz./plant, with these plants averaging 4 sq. ft. (a yield of only 1 oz./sq. ft). I want variety, quality and high yield too; and growing BIG plants indoors is counter-productive for that, particularly since I don't presume that bigger means better potency or quality.

My best yields have been with under 26 inch plants in 7.5l airpots (Hercules pots).
I've tried the same strains in the same pots ( but 1 gal). And results were considerably less.
My theory on the 2 gallon sweet spot , is that it's all about the wet to dry cycles once the plant starts to flower.
By flower, the root ball and square inches of evaporation at the leaves. Make for a plant that can drink a 1/2 gallon a day.
So, this gives us more opportunities to feed before harvest.Therefore bigger nugs & bigger yield.

I have never really pushed for yield, except for a scrog once and a SOG in a cab a couple times. Until recently I let my plant grow pretty much naturally, with maybe a topping and or some mild defoliation. So I don't have any good data yet. I'm just now getting around to looking at this and thus my interest in pot sizes. The flip of this is plant count limits across the country range from 2 to 12 plants. So obviously, what size pot will be best needs to be tailored to your plant count. With 2 plant the bigger the better without a doubt maybe up to 10 gallon. With a 12 plant count, right now, I'd go with the 2 gallon, but again, that can vary with strain. It's hard for me to quantify as I tend to grow something different almost every grow. Most commercial strains rarely get grown more than once, I have maybe 8-10 strain that I've grown more than once and never in continuous cycles. That's going to change in the near future, after I through the test grows i have lined up lol!

I look at productivity in terms of tent area, the weight (oz.) per square feet. What do you see with your grows in terms of yield (weight) per sq. foot of tent area? What do you see a normal for tent growing? What is the optimal plant size to get maximal yield in a tent?

I've often had 8 plants jammed in my 12.5 sq. ft. tent (about 1.5 sq. ft./plant) and get an average 3 oz./plant or 2 oz./sq. ft. I recall the other day someone remarking proudly that they get ~4 oz./plant, with these plants averaging 4 sq. ft. (a yield of only 1 oz./sq. ft). I want variety, quality and high yield too; and growing BIG plants indoors is counter-productive for that, particularly since I don't presume that bigger means better potency or quality.

you're bringing up a very good point about yield vs quality.
And this is something many people do not diferentiate properly.
A pound of crap isn't worth much, compared to an oz. of gold.

Another point to be made is light height vs strain.
Most strains I grow are at or under 28 inches.
My 4x4 now has 4 strains (Auto super hash / Hash plant / Hash passion/ & Micron/Dr.Feelgood hybrid F2).
I expect 3 of the 4 to be over 28 inches, so I have to LST the taller ones.

This is turning out to be quite a study.
2 regs, 2 autos,...none of the same height in a 4x4.
AND, there is the issue of the regs flowering in 12/12.
Should be interesting to see how the autos react.
LMFAO.

Sounds like my kind of experiment!

:cheers:

you're bringing up a very good point about yield vs quality.
And this is something many people do not diferentiate properly.
A pound of crap isn't worth much, compared to an oz. of gold.

Another point to be made is light height vs strain.
Most strains I grow are at or under 28 inches.
My 4x4 now has 4 strains (Auto super hash / Hash plant / Hash passion/ & Micron/Dr.Feelgood hybrid F2).
I expect 3 of the 4 to be over 28 inches, so I have to LST the taller ones.

This is turning out to be quite a study.
2 regs, 2 autos,...none of the same height in a 4x4.
AND, there is the issue of the regs flowering in 12/12.
Should be interesting to see how the autos react.
LMFAO.

Seeing that they are sharing nthe tent with my other plants, I'll posts pics of the Blackberry Gum here. But the real news is the 20 Blue Dragon I planted last night. seeds were started in my modified paper towel method. My only variation is that I place the paper towel into a ziplock sandwich bag and place it vertical in a cheap, black plastic tool box. I support the baggie with 5 ounce plastic cups I keep in the box ( along with DipnGrow, a small strainer,
three old small pill bottles ( I soak my seeds in them before going to paper towel ). When they sprout, the radicles are usually pointing downward, making the seeds job a little easier.

I'm planting another 10 or so today, as these are regs, my goal is 20 females.

And the little Short Stuff CBD Kush that I took clones of from is looking good, all seems well in the tent!

Blackberry gum pic1 -11-16-2020.jpg
Blue Dragons pic1 -11-16-2020.jpg

Back