Harvest & Curing Moisture of dried/cured buds?

Badfinger

High as a Kite
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
After searching the web for the moisture content during the dry cure process. I am getting conflicting %'s.
The two process's that keep coming up:
12-15% for drying and 10-12% after curing vs 10-12% drying and 6-9% after curing.
To me those numbers are worlds apart.
Need some feedback from AFN as I'm going to be using a moisture meter for this next harvest in the next week or two.

I'm with @Dale's Proper Bud. When bud moisture content drops down to 10-15%, it goes into the jar where I maintain 62% relative humidity.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_101408770.jpg
    IMG_20200620_101408770.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
  • HyLid.jpg
    HyLid.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
Ive also read that conflicting info on Google. Confusing. I feel 13 to 15 is too wet. I aim for 11 percent moisture in the bud stems. I learned that from @Mañ'O'Green and grove bags teaches this also on there site and youtube videos. If your 13 to 15 percent your gonna need to be burping. When they hit 11% then seal in grove bags or jars til done. Sweat buds in brown bags before curing to prevent mold also i learned.. If its 11 percent moisture on my meter a joint dont stay lit i found. So after the cure about 8 or 9 percent im guessing is ideal for joints. If vaping higher is ok.

After searching the web for the moisture content during the dry cure process. I am getting conflicting %'s.
The two process's that keep coming up:
12-15% for drying and 10-12% after curing vs 10-12% drying and 6-9% after curing.
To me those numbers are worlds apart.
Need some feedback from AFN as I'm going to be using a moisture meter for this next harvest in the next week or two.
You want the finished product to measure 58% RH in a jar for smoking and 62% RH for pressing rosin.

As far as reading this on a wood moisture meter 11% ~= 62% RH but this might be misleading depending on the bud structure. I put my buds still on stems but trimmed of all stemmed leaves in Brown paper bags at 12%-13% on my wood moisture meter. When they hit 11% on the meter I give them the final machine trim. Then into Grove Bags with a hygrometer to verify they are in the range of 58% RH to 65% RH overnight. If still in range I remove the hygrometer and seal the bag. If RH is too high take out and dry more if too low add Boost 62. Seal when corrected.

You want the finished product to measure 58% RH in a jar for smoking and 62% RH for pressing rosin.

As far as reading this on a wood moisture meter 11% ~= 62% RH but this might be misleading depending on the bud structure. I put my buds still on stems but trimmed of all stemmed leaves in Brown paper bags at 12%-13% on my wood moisture meter. When they hit 11% on the meter I give them the final machine trim. Then into Grove Bags with a hygrometer to verify they are in the range of 58% RH to 65% RH overnight. If still in range I remove the hygrometer and seal the bag. If RH is too high take out and dry more if too low add Boost 62. Seal when corrected.
This is how I did it. After 5 weeks, my meters in the grove bags read 57-62%

My wood moisture meter switches between Building and Wood. When it's set to Wood, I can choose from a handful of different species which sets the meter to "B", "E", and a couple of others. What's the recommended setting?

My wood moisture meter switches between Building and Wood. When it's set to Wood, I can choose from a handful of different species which sets the meter to "B", "E", and a couple of others. What's the recommended setting?
What brand of meter?

in my very limited experience making sure you get a good sweat on in the process is super important. my best result has been hang dry, paper bag sweat, trim, grove bags.

next harvest I'm gonna try hang dry, trim, turkey bag bucket sweat, grove bags. thought process: trimming before sweat = crispier/easier trimming.

Im not sure. Id do it in wood setting but id just try the diff settings and see what happens. If theres different readings un the same stem from different settings id look at your manual book. Im guessing setting A but im not 100 percent sure. Id play around with it. Mine only says wood or building setting. Not a bunch of options on mine.

Back