Lighting Modular Cree COB build

Modular Cree COB build with parts from Northern Grow Lights.

Ive started ordering components needed for a 2 cob, modular build.

72v Cree cobs, holders, reflectors, and passive heat sinks have all been ordered and received from Northern Grow Lights.

I ordered the 120 passive heat sinks my first order but wanted to show everyone how well Northern takes care of customers orders. I got my second order today and took photos as i opened the package.

@Dudeski Don't you just love getting packages? I know I do. Can I ask why you went with the 72v COB's over the 36v?

I would say that cobs to cover the edges would rock the tent!

I should have been more clear lol, I will probably get like 4 or 5 super cob's to go in my 400 square foot indoor greenhouse with the 1400 watts of LEC lights. I think they will be amazing it will probably end up being a mix of three different lights, CMH, COB and the new Grow Northern LEDs. I want to have enough wattage that I could do a full run with just the artificial light but also give them natural greenhouse sunlight half the time. muuuahahahahahhahahah

HLG-120H-1050B should work well for 2x 72 V cob.
120mm heatsink may get a little hot to touch. 140 can handle that power Better.

With B you need a 1-10V dimmer. Or a 100K ohm potentiometer. Linear Taper. If possible add a 10k ohm resistor in series with Potentiometer to limit min intensity to 10%.
If you do not dim frequently then you can consider type A driver. HLG-120H-1050A. With A you can use screw driver to dim.
Good luck with your project

Edit
With type A you can control power between 50% - 100%
With B using 100k potentiometer and 10k resistor. 10% - 100%

Last edited:
. With A you can use screw driver to dim.

I TRIED to screw my driver but she was too dim already. hahahhahaahahha ok ok I am really done now. @PhotonLabs do you guys sell prefab cob things, if I tried to do what @Dudeski is I would either cause a massive fire or break expensive stuff. SOoooooooooooo the prefab ready to plug in type stuff is what I am all about lol

I TRIED to screw my driver but she was too dim already. hahahhahaahahha ok ok I am really done now. @PhotonLabs do you guys sell prefab cob things, if I tried to do what @Dudeski is I would either cause a massive fire or break expensive stuff. SOoooooooooooo the prefab ready to plug in type stuff is what I am all about lol
Replace your driver. Check if covered under warranty
:cheers:
I do not like semi pre fab DIY components. If you do not feel comfortable with DIY then just pay a little more and get a fully assembled and enclosed fixture.

Replace your driver. Check if covered under warranty
:cheers:
I do not like semi pre fab DIY components. If you do not feel comfortable with DIY then just pay a little more and get a fully assembled and enclosed fixture.

Yes that is what I am sayin, I need a fully put together one or 6. But I really haven't seen too many companies putting out these type of complete packages that anyone is willing to say is reputable. Can I pay yall to put em together for me?

HLG-120H-1050B should work well for 2x 72 V cob.
120mm heatsink may get a little hot to touch. 140 can handle that power Better.

With B you need a 1-10V dimmer. Or a 100K ohm potentiometer. Linear Taper. If possible add a 10k ohm resistor in series with Potentiometer to limit min intensity to 10%.
If you do not dim frequently then you can consider type A driver. HLG-120H-1050A. With A you can use screw driver to dim.
Good luck with your project

Edit
With type A you can control power between 50% - 100%
With B using 100k potentiometer and 10k resistor. 10% - 100%
Thank you! I appreciate the help. I may just go with a type A Since i had not planned on dimming that much and really dont understand why i would want less light either.

Will the 120 sink be enough to keep the cobs cool?

@Dudeski Don't you just love getting packages? I know I do. Can I ask why you went with the 72v COB's over the 36v?

No particular reason. I bought the 72v for a conversion them bought more for the modular build. My lack of knowledge as well.

But, this section of the fourm will help us all learn and build better so we can grow better!

Thank you @PhotonLabs !

120's will get a little hot. Depends on how much air flow you have. 140 would have been better for 72v COB at 1050ma
You can always Dim down if they get too hot.

I still have to get a driver and dimmer. The driver im looking at is the Meanwell HLH 120h C1050B. I will get it once i figure out which potentiometer is compatible.
Get the 140 for 2 COB's.. Are you going to get a B version driver so you can dim it and crank it up? I would also have you look at the SST junction box at northern grow lights.. They build them to suit so click on it and read what it does..

Back