Mephisto Genetics Mephisto Grower of the Year 2019

I will be curious as well. I just did an RQS N. Lights that filled the 7.5 with roots and they were growing out the bottom drainage holes. I am using KIS Organics Water Only soil, so I did not amend in anything in addition to what came in the bag from them.

Good size pot ..... same I have going on a couple but only using about 5 gallons of soil with extra drainage and room allowed room for mulch and amendments on top. The strains, Strawberry Nuggets, Gold Glue and 3 Bears are all on smaller side ..... be curious as to how filled with roots they will be?

@bushmasterar15 - Week 3 update. 4-Assed Monkeys. Not much progress since last week. The originals ([HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG]) are still alive, barely. Of the replacements, only [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] made it. [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG] started to emerge, but then stalled and is officially dead. Damping-off I suspect. :smoking:

26.4AM1 a.JPG
26.4AM2 b.JPG
26.4AM3 (6) b.JPG
26.4AM4 (6) a.JPG

I will be curious as well. I just did an RQS N. Lights that filled the 7.5 with roots and they were growing out the bottom drainage holes. I am using KIS Organics Water Only soil, so I did not amend in anything in addition to what came in the bag from them.

Yea I wouldn’t add anything to such a well built soil except some of my own compost from worm bin and some mulch ..... I am adding EM1 regular and a touch of Mammoth P to the water .... In a another week I’ll add some a little more compost on top of the mulch and mulch again, food for the worms and I’ll probably toss in some kelp from the bag I got at the feed supply store, cheap fertilizers are at your local feed store!

D6CA2879-D9D9-42F6-85BB-277CEFBAC5E0.jpeg

@Only1Sky ... Bummer, hope they improve. I’ve never had any success with those starter plugs myself.

I’ve had great success with Rapid Rooters IF you soak your seeds And pop them in a paper towel/dvd case b4 you plant in the starter pod. That’s the trick to succeeding with them. Really helps out your seedlings roots in the beginning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did hydro I used RR plugs. They worked great for clones. I don't see a point for them in soil so I dont use em. I figure soil is better than a plug so I make a starter mound of just soil no hydroton on top of autopot and put a popped seed in there.

@ClydeWalters i am probably too old fashion for the rooters and my mind though negative and I failed with them .... I kinda think like @TreyDogg what’s advantage over soil? I can see they will keep seed moist but then so does a piece of plastic over the pot or a humidity dome ....

Now if / when I do a hydro grow I can see defendant advantage of plug over soil, or is there? What’s wrong with putting say start in jiffy pot and when ready to pop into the net pot just bare root the plant, ie soak pot in water until dirt washes off and then transplant? I’ve barefooted outdoor plants that way so I could transport a lot of plants in a single bucket and replanted back into soil and they did fine??? In fact I’ve soaked for a day or two in five gallon bucket outside with some seaweed in the water and they yanked them out, man handled and replanted .... would manhandle an auto?

Autos would never tolerate being treated like that

They are MUCH more fickle

The advantages of rapid rooters in soil are this...

You can fit 50 rapid rooters in a small humidity dome. 80% RH is GREAT for seedlings, and rapid rooters have a light rooting hormone in them actually, so it accelerates the first week of like, By I’d say 1-2 good days :)

Sonetimes soil can be WAY too hot for auto seedlings! Ocean forest is a no no for seedlings for example. But start it in the rapid rooter... let it root for 5-7 days, and boom! Ur seedling can now handle the ocean forest more readily.

That’s just one example of why their good for soil. Their also good for space conservation when propagating..

I run large numbers of plants... so I actually DONT want to have to spread T5 lights out over a 4x4 space because I started all my seeds in their soil pots... as autos HATE being transplanted. If you interrupt the initial taproots race str8 downward, it effects the height and width of your plants later on in life. Fact.

So that’s why I use them.

But there’s SOOO many ways to skin a cat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ClydeWalters i am probably too old fashion for the rooters and my mind though negative and I failed with them .... I kinda think like @TreyDogg what’s advantage over soil? I can see they will keep seed moist but then so does a piece of plastic over the pot or a humidity dome ....

Now if / when I do a hydro grow I can see defendant advantage of plug over soil, or is there? What’s wrong with putting say start in jiffy pot and when ready to pop into the net pot just bare root the plant, ie soak pot in water until dirt washes off and then transplant? I’ve barefooted outdoor plants that way so I could transport a lot of plants in a single bucket and replanted back into soil and they did fine??? In fact I’ve soaked for a day or two in five gallon bucket outside with some seaweed in the water and they yanked them out, man handled and replanted .... would manhandle an auto?
You can do almost anything you want with autos. There are people who have journals where they've taken their autos auto of hydro set ups and then planted them in soil. What I haven't seen yet is an auto die from transplant shock. Stunt? Yes. But die? Haven't seen it yet. I encourage everyone to experiment on their own. Remember 3 years ago when they said you can't top autos? Lol. Now we top 3 and 4 times with no issue. I say try it all!

Back