Mephisto all hype?

A guy i know grew 2 of the strawberry nuggets and both hermied.
Yeah, Meph is trash!
Just look at this junk!
MrOldBoy.jpeg

A guy i know grew 2 of the strawberry nuggets and both hermied.
Strawberry nuggets are a cross between 24 carat and sour strawberry kush...
Sour Strawberry kush is a cross between strawberry cough X sour bubble X sour diesel.

Strawberry cough is known to herm... gotta do some research on strains your running.
Herms are in most of the "desirable" photo lines. Bring them to autoflower and you get herms in the autoflowers. Just genetics.

My manbearalienpig looks the part b
Yeah, Meph is trash!
Just look at this junk!
View attachment 1291201
Hey I never said they are trash, just questioning after my grow was a bit disappointing. I mean my man bear alien pig looks awesome but it's not dense at all. Sour diesel in the back from fastbuds turning into a monster.

Attachments

• IMG_20210225_211445.jpg
    IMG_20210225_211445.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
My manbearalienpig looks the part b

Hey I never said they are trash, just questioning after my grow was a bit disappointing. I mean my man bear alien pig looks awesome but it's not dense at all. Sour diesel in the back from fastbuds turning into a monster.

You missed the sarcasm lol

Strawberry cough is known to herm... gotta do some research on strains your running.
Herms are in most of the "desirable" photo lines. Bring them to autoflower and you get herms in the autoflowers. Just genetics.
Also GSC, also GG#4, probably several others. It shouldn't be that surprising in photo lines that _came from bagseeds_ (why do those happen, again?). The tendencies could be bred out better, but I get annoyed when people act like it's coming from ruderalis corrupting the photoperiod cuts' genes.

Edit: likely not a single trait, so "tendencies" is probably a better fit.

Last edited:
Also GSC, also GG#4, probably several others. It shouldn't be that surprising in photo lines that _came from bagseeds_ (why do those happen, again?). The trait could be bred out better, but I get annoyed when people act like it's coming from ruderalis corrupting the photoperiod cuts' genes.
Even if worked to get rid of the trait, it'll still pop up. Like blue eyes in the Roanoke Indians. Was introduced a long time ago, still pops up from time to time.
Blueberry... anything blueberry has the gene, gelato, anything crossed with OG kush. Probably the majority of photo strains have been polluted.

If your running something your worried about tossing a nanner, Optic Foliar product called "switch" switch-gallon.jpg will suppress any weird hormones and keep her a her.

From everything I've read, it doesn't sound like a single gene, but rather a bunch of independent traits. Using silver-based chemicals (colloidal silver, silver thiosulfate) to block ethylene in the plant causes female plants to produce male flowers, but lots of stresses can also cause similar hormonal changes and trigger intersex traits in female plants. The genes may affect the thresholds for panic responses to particular stresses, rather than being some "herm"/"not herm" genetic switch -- some will get stressed out very easily by topping or excess nutrients, some might need really intense temperature or pH swings before they're stressed enough to do it? Also, in Marijuana Botany, Clarke mentions several landraces being really prone to it (especially Thai), to the point of being practically monoecious.

I tend to think of it more like the cannabis equivalent of some people getting cold sores when their immune system is busy fighting off other things, but that's me. (Granted, that's viral rather than genetic, and from the plant's standpoint it's a last ditch effort to reproduce and survive, but the idea is that from the grower's standpoint it's a usually-dormant annoyance that can be triggered by stress.) Thinking of it in terms of human sexual expression is probably a misleading mental model.

Last edited:
Back