Mephisto all hype?

I've no experience with Mephisto but I can't see myself buying from them in the near future despite their proven quality genetics. The reason is the whole 'Monday madness' sales technique. Getting their customers to jump through hoops rubs me the wrong way. This is obviously an 'it's me not them' thing but i don't have any enthusiasm for that kind of environment.

I can browse many other seed providers in a relaxed manner and choose from quality genetics 6 days a week. The other sellers like Fast Buds, Sweetseeds, Seedman et al seem, to me, to be more appreciative of their customers. That being said, I'm new (or returning after 25 years hiatus) to the whole game and this is really just a personal opinion on what suits me, and not to whether Mephisto genetics are over hyped.

As to the hype, I think the quality difference to the other premium seed sellers is slight, yes good genetics are essential but looking at the experienced growers on this site who have their environments and techniques locked down, you could almost throw them a pumpkin seed and they'd produce two pounds of dry primo bud from it in two weeks.

I am obviously a newbie and my opinion is not worth the digital space it takes up but as a newbie i feel compelled to share my ill informed wisdom.
Everyone's opinion is worthy. They are great seeds. There are a lot more breeders out there than there were 5 years ago. A lot of them use Mephisto in their strains as well. I was back after a 15 years hiatus as well and boy have things changed. There is a lot of choices out there. So if everybody is hung up on a few vendors we could miss out on some new fantastic strains.

I grew mephisto exclusively for years. But that was a long time ago, and after I tried many other breeders.
As @olbobcat said, things have changed. And they change quickly in the auto flower world.
But it’s all about preference. In my opinion you have to trying different things/ strains, to know what you like.
@Clem Fandango . No I do not like jumping through hoops to get seeds….. shoes, cars…. Or anything else for that fact. It appears to be a new marketing trend. It works.
With that said, autos are in high demand right now. New breeders are popping up daily to capitalize on the surge in demand for auto seeds. There are plenty of great new autos being offered now. All you have to do, is see for yourself. Depending solely on someone’s else experience with cannabis is definitely the wrong thing to do. Just my opinion.

I most certainly hope that the hype is right :smoking:
I just started my very first Mephisto yesterday, Port & Stilton from their Illuminauto range so I'll probably try and make a few seeds from each of the 6 or 7 original seeds just in case phenos are very different, but for now it is just one.

I've no experience with Mephisto but I can't see myself buying from them in the near future despite their proven quality genetics. The reason is the whole 'Monday madness' sales technique. Getting their customers to jump through hoops rubs me the wrong way. This is obviously an 'it's me not them' thing but i don't have any enthusiasm for that kind of environment.

I can browse many other seed providers in a relaxed manner and choose from quality genetics 6 days a week. The other sellers like Fast Buds, Sweetseeds, Seedman et al seem, to me, to be more appreciative of their customers. That being said, I'm new (or returning after 25 years hiatus) to the whole game and this is really just a personal opinion on what suits me, and not to whether Mephisto genetics are over hyped.

As to the hype, I think the quality difference to the other premium seed sellers is slight, yes good genetics are essential but looking at the experienced growers on this site who have their environments and techniques locked down, you could almost throw them a pumpkin seed and they'd produce two pounds of dry primo bud from it in two weeks.

I am obviously a newbie and my opinion is not worth the digital space it takes up but as a newbie i feel compelled to share my ill informed wisdom.
I guess you don't want any RocBud by those standards. :biggrin: :rofl:

I've not had any problem getting either breeder's beans.
I prefer buying from the breeder directly, but both are available from other seed companies.
I ARE missing out if you don't try some. I'm vaping some fuggin KILLER Sour Stomper and canna coffee made from Hubbabubbasmelloscope that made a bunch of bud and tons of hash, despite having a severe lockout from using Earthbox's recommendation for dolomite. Without the lockout, both could have easily been pound+ girls...............and I'm a canna newbie.
I have a Stomper in the current grow to reverse to make more seeds. She was that good.

Are there other great breeders out there? Sure! But the hype is real! Just like olbobcat said, there are a larger selection of high quality breeders of autoflowers out there.

I most certainly hope that the hype is right :smoking:
I just started my very first Mephisto yesterday, Port & Stilton from their Illuminauto range so I'll probably try and make a few seeds from each of the 6 or 7 original seeds just in case phenos are very different, but for now it is just one.
Haven't seen that girl yet!

I can browse many other seed providers in a relaxed manner and choose from quality genetics 6 days a week

Mephisto is stocking seedbanks, too. While people are bellyaching about how hard it is to get seeds off their website, Harvest Mutual, Supreme, and Seed Cellar have had a half dozen different strains in stock for weeks, and they get restocked periodically. You don't need to deal with the website at all to get their seeds, except for a couple very limited releases, and IMO their best stuff is mostly in the Originals, Artisanals, and Reservas.

The switch to weekly Monday opening is to reduce order processing times -- before that, they would open, get absolutely slammed with orders, close, and then need 3+ weeks to process the backlog before they could open again. The demand greatly exceeds what the US direct store can handle on its own, especially with hugely populous states like New York and Virginia legalizing all of a sudden.

Makes sense and hey, all power to them. They are popular for a good reason. However at this point in time, that way of purchasing seeds is not for me. Perhaps to my own disadvantage but I just can't be arsed.

Many good auto breeders nowadays. I am really looking forward to acquiring and dropping some Mandalorian, Night Owl, and Firebudz genetics. I have had good experiences with FastBuds as well. I really like Mephisto, but have the worst germination rates among all the auto-breeders I have tried.

Nevertheless, once you get to flower, "hang on to your ass, Fred." This Sour Stomper was grown in a 2 sq. ft. cab:

20210606_152109.jpg

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

:smoking:

Many good auto breeders nowadays. I am really looking forward to acquiring and dropping some Mandalorian, Night Owl, and Firebudz genetics. I have had good experiences with FastBuds as well. I really like Mephisto, but have the worst germination rates among all the auto-breeders I have tried.

Nevertheless, once you get to flower, "hang on to your ass, Fred." This Sour Stomper was grown in a 2 sq. ft. cab:

View attachment 1332088

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

DAMN!
Well done Sir!!!!
Is that DWC?

View attachment 1332088

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

HOLY CRAP!

That must be the larger pheno!

That's some killer smoke and you have LOTS!

Back