BigSm0

C O B S H O P . N E T
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Website
cobshop.net
I'm a huge fan in efficiency. It's one if the main factors in lighting besides spectrum.

So from my reading and reading I came across credible documentation stating kind led were 22.5% efficient. Now that's 22.5 X wall wattage which equals the par watts which is the key number. The remaining percentage is heat. Hps varies anywhere from 20-40% efficient putting most of them as a better choice over kind LEDs. Crazy right? People say led is cooler, well watt for watt its not unless it's more efficient. Now I have read tons on Mars and they have the same diodes if I'm not mistaken. Which would put them in the same class as kind. Or according to price a lot lower.

I'm not trying to cut anyone up but I'm really trying to figure why most led companies say they are equal to higher wattage lights when the math states otherwise.

An argument I have come across is well my plants are monsters under them. Well that's great but what if your room was 5 degrees cooler or your plants had 20% more light? Sure it could be better.

I tried hps and ditched them after my first grow. I didn't like the heat. I switched to 2 $1695 led panels which made my temps jump 4-7 degrees. The yield was less but not by much. To what I have now. Which are cob based. Cree 3070 cobs which are over 50% efficiency the heat is now controlled Which leads me to the next question. The blurple. Blue and red which makes led "blurple" I have read that 3500k is the way to go. Why are newer panels white while others still carry such sharp colors?

The argument of the ages. I would love to see some real testing.

The argument of the ages. I would love to see some real testing.
I would love to see some real testing. Not everyone owns a couple million dollar sphere to test in. But side by sides are good too.

I'm a first-time grower on my second run I use Mars Hydro I used 144 x 5 reflector series and I also use the Mars 2 1200 watt and a Mars 2 400 watt so far everything about the LED is awesome I can't see switching to something else to get a little bit more yield I'm not about yield all I know is Mars Hydro on my first run gave me some really dense hard nuggets and I'm not just tooting my own horn that's real talk

Like I said I'm no professional this is my second time I don't know if everything looks OK or not

Attachments

• 20160810_184113.jpg
    20160810_184113.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 224
I would love to see some real testing. Not everyone owns a couple million dollar sphere to test in. But side by sides are good too.

Side by side would be good for sure. Assuming all conditions the same which I don't think would be too tough...

Bis SmO What do you think of the new epiled cree look a like in the pictures it is a totally different light then there 64X3 epiled COB. It is a 66X3 watt COB very bright 400 watt is a 180 watts draw from the wall but wicked bright bro By epiled changing up the spectrum does that make it more efficient?

Bis SmO What do you think of the new epiled cree look a like in the pictures it is a totally different light then there 64X3 epiled COB. It is a 66X3 watt COB very bright 400 watt is a 180 watts draw from the wall but wicked bright bro By epiled changing up the spectrum does that make it more efficient?
Changing the cct does not necessarily mean they are better or worse. By nature creating different colors requires them to add different materials to them which within their own specs they can increase or decrease on efficiency by around 10% and that's just based on how they are created.

Sounds great gunnerboy. Did you buy them all new? Because there is also another part to all this. I just wish I could get some help. I'd really like to get some insight from the real led makers.

Last edited:
I'm a first-time grower on my second run I use Mars Hydro I used 144 x 5 reflector series and I also use the Mars 2 1200 watt and a Mars 2 400 watt so far everything about the LED is awesome I can't see switching to something else to get a little bit more yield I'm not about yield all I know is Mars Hydro on my first run gave me some really dense hard nuggets and I'm not just tooting my own horn that's real talk
That's a lot of light in there. Are you using extraction fans? It looks like a big tent too. The part that interests me the most is the par watts. That's basically the measurement of usable light. So for every 100 wall watts your plants are seeing about 20 par watts and 80 heat watts. That's the efficiency

Back