Lighting Mars Reflector 48 hack

Slater

Flowery Twats
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
That's it I'm now not only obsessed with growing canna, I have now also picked up a fetish for building my own lights. I'm not pretending to understand the geek side of cobs, I get the gist but most of it makes my head hurt. But I do love building stuff and putting these lights together is so much easier than expected...its not rocket science.

So I've got my self 5x Citizen CLU048-1212 90 CRI 3500k hooked up in my main tent and I need a veg light for my propagation tent (120cmx60cmx100m). I do own 2 Mars Hydro's, one Reflector 48 and a Classic 600w both waiting for a hacking. I'm leaving the 600w, I really want to pimp her up and take my time on that build. But to get thing started I thought I would rip my Reflector 48 apart and do a quick and cheapest possible hack I can do.

So what do we get in a Mars reflector 48 claiming to be 150w. Not much really for £80... I didn't spend that much, only 40 notes on ebay, second hand...one grow old... they all say that.
Well you get 2 x 50w drivers for the lights and one 12v for the fan, you don't even get a heat sink.

2017-02-26 07.23.21.jpg

Here's the driver specs for the LED's

2017-02-26 07.23.06.jpg

2017-02-26 08.54.58.jpg

Where is my heat sink...pffft...Looks like I'm going to have to buy a heat sink that fits... So my idea so far is one cob per driver at 4000k, @BigSm0 has advised to go with using the 1812's ... good thing is i have 2 switches so i can turn one off when not need... no dimmer though, will that be an issue with my high restriction of only a meter ?
If any one has any cool pimping idea's towards this hack please speak up

I want to keep the cost as low a possible, so the shopping list so far will be
1 x heat sink... @2Stoned2Care where did you get your from dude ?
2 x citizen 1218 at 4000k plus holders... this can be a little tricky in the UK to source, speak up if you know where.
And I may upgrade the fan to something quieter, that's not a big cost.

To be honest that is not much to ask for to do a conversion and turn a cheap light into a kick ass light... would be even cheaper if it came with a heat sink...

Once I get the parts sorted I shall document the build step by step so hopefully I can encourage some of you over to the cob side of light and rip those Mars lights apart for there guts.

Here's pic of a cute dog to look at wile I source these parts...
1564012a2a780ee83de9cacbf2e0e7ba.jpg

Now this is what I've been thinking about I've got three of those old Mars II 700's and I using for sidelights once in a while but it would be a lot better to replace them with cobs I think. I could even build them into the walls in my grow room.

Now this is what I've been thinking about I've got three of those old Mars II 700's and I using for sidelights once in a while but it would be a lot better to replace them with cobs I think. I could even build them into the walls in my grow room.

Gtowmau5 might be doing one with a 700? Not sure where I saw a little teaser...or who it was lol. Damn!
...@slater that's a good idea man, thanks for looking in to the conversion for folks!

When you cost it up and use those guts from the mars it just makes to upgrade them, its not hard to do.
@jingo this is what @Coffee&Kush is referring to.

Back