Status
Not open for further replies.
@The Elvis that's awesome brudda! Thanks for sharing! That's golden stuff right there!

We I was a wee old age of 22 I was inadvertently the production manager for the Drifters (you posted Ben E King days ago so I imagine you know who I'm talking about) the previous PM I had been apprenticing with in his recording studio and one night after a few bottles of JD (he'd guzzled Jack like water out of a bottle. No shit) he was drunk and belligerent... The Drifters being so professional and old school were getting fed up. Russell Henry politely asked "hey man maybe we should finish up tomorrow when you dry up". With that the asshole says to him "why don't you shut up and just sing N*****. Yeah. Went there. My jaw dropped. I'm instantly embarrassed and angry. So as I'm telling him in done with him. I'm not busting my ass for some bigoted pos... The guys pull me outside and ask me to take his place. So I said YES! are you kidding me?!

So literally 3 days later im on a plane with the Drifters flying to Jackson MS to play at the Fitzgeralds there on the Mississippi river. You know how close that is to Memphis!

The next day after sound check Bobby Ruffin asks me if I know of Sun Records. Well of course! First recording studio! Did blue suede shoes, etc... So he says "good answer, get in the limo" lol we get whisked away to sun records and I got a personal tour! I'll never ever forget those 3 days! Those guys treated me so damn good. I'll always have crazy love for the Drifters! I met a lot of famous Motown acts all because of them. I remember that first night in the hotel room. Had my own room... Just on the phone with my parents freaking out. Lol lived the dream!

Music is amazing. Music and weed. No two things bridge gaps between people more than those two things. Speaking of we EACH got an 1/8 of bomb ass regs for $10!!! Weed is good and cheap in Memphis!!

@The Elvis that's awesome brudda! Thanks for sharing! That's golden stuff right there!

We I was a wee old age of 22 I was inadvertently the production manager for the Drifters (you posted Ben E King days ago so I imagine you know who I'm talking about) the previous PM I had been apprenticing with in his recording studio and one night after a few bottles of JD (he'd guzzled Jack like water out of a bottle. No shit) he was drunk and belligerent... The Drifters being so professional and old school were getting fed up. Russell Henry politely asked "hey man maybe we should finish up tomorrow when you dry up". With that the asshole says to him "why don't you shut up and just sing N*****. Yeah. Went there. My jaw dropped. I'm instantly embarrassed and angry. So as I'm telling him in done with him. I'm not busting my ass for some bigoted pos... The guys pull me outside and ask me to take his place. So I said YES! are you kidding me?!

So literally 3 days later im on a plane with the Drifters flying to Jackson MS to play at the Fitzgeralds there on the Mississippi river. You know how close that is to Memphis!

The next day after sound check Bobby Ruffin asks me if I know of Sun Records. Well of course! First recording studio! Did blue suede shoes, etc... So he says "good answer, get in the limo" lol we get whisked away to sun records and I got a personal tour! I'll never ever forget those 3 days! Those guys treated me so damn good. I'll always have crazy love for the Drifters! I met a lot of famous Motown acts all because of them. I remember that first night in the hotel room. Had my own room... Just on the phone with my parents freaking out. Lol lived the dream!

Music is amazing. Music and weed. No two things bridge gaps between people more than those two things. Speaking of we EACH got an 1/8 of bomb ass regs for $10!!! Weed is good and cheap in Memphis!!

Now that sounds like a hell of a time wow!

Your stories are crraaaaaaazzy!! That's awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back