Status
Not open for further replies.
Your stories are crraaaaaaazzy!! That's awesome!!

When I was 17 I knew I wanted to be a recording engineer. I figured everyone and their mother plays guitar. If I wanted to really GET IN the business I needed an outlet to expose myself (get your mind out of the gutter @Son of Hobbes) to everyone I could. Took me 5 yrs to build up the courage to leave NY. First time I actually backed out. Two weeks later I tried again. I literally threw myself to the wolves in Vegas. That producer I was apprenticing for taught me more about what NOT to do but hey if he wasn't a racist asshole I never would have gotten that gig. Which in turn got me 6 more gigs after and that got me where I was when I left. Which was pretty high up for 25 and no engineering school. I was fortunate enough to be born with golden ears lol

I wish you all could see my memorabilia room. Autos, pics, and such from everyone I ever worked with. I'd take pics but I'm in them all lol I'll have to do some heavy editing lol

Moral of the story. Grab life by the short hairs. Make it YOUR own. No ones gonna make it for you!

The studio was kiva, house of Blues before that. Joe walsh recorded there amongst many others.

Oh man... That stuff just turns my stomach. Another historical landmark gone...

When I was 17 I knew I wanted to be a recording engineer. I figured everyone and their mother plays guitar. If I wanted to really GET IN the business I needed an outlet to expose myself (get your mind out of the gutter @Son of Hobbes) to everyone I could. Took me 5 yrs to build up the courage to leave NY. First time I actually backed out. Two weeks later I tried again. I literally threw myself to the wolves in Vegas. That producer I was apprenticing for taught me more about what NOT to do but hey if he wasn't a racist asshole I never would have gotten that gig. Which in turn got me 6 more gigs after and that got me where I was when I left. Which was pretty high up for 25 and no engineering school. I was fortunate enough to be born with golden ears lol

I wish you all could see my memorabilia room. Autos, pics, and such from everyone I ever worked with. I'd take pics but I'm in them all lol I'll have to do some heavy editing lol

Moral of the story. Grab life by the short hairs. Make it YOUR own. No ones gonna make it for you!

Oh man... That stuff just turns my stomach. Another historical landmark gone...
have a friend that is in a band called lostalone was sighned with WB a few years back

@The Elvis that's awesome brudda! Thanks for sharing! That's golden stuff right there!

We I was a wee old age of 22 I was inadvertently the production manager for the Drifters (you posted Ben E King days ago so I imagine you know who I'm talking about) the previous PM I had been apprenticing with in his recording studio and one night after a few bottles of JD (he'd guzzled Jack like water out of a bottle. No shit) he was drunk and belligerent... The Drifters being so professional and old school were getting fed up. Russell Henry politely asked "hey man maybe we should finish up tomorrow when you dry up". With that the asshole says to him "why don't you shut up and just sing N*****. Yeah. Went there. My jaw dropped. I'm instantly embarrassed and angry. So as I'm telling him in done with him. I'm not busting my ass for some bigoted pos... The guys pull me outside and ask me to take his place. So I said YES! are you kidding me?!

So literally 3 days later im on a plane with the Drifters flying to Jackson MS to play at the Fitzgeralds there on the Mississippi river. You know how close that is to Memphis!

The next day after sound check Bobby Ruffin asks me if I know of Sun Records. Well of course! First recording studio! Did blue suede shoes, etc... So he says "good answer, get in the limo" lol we get whisked away to sun records and I got a personal tour! I'll never ever forget those 3 days! Those guys treated me so damn good. I'll always have crazy love for the Drifters! I met a lot of famous Motown acts all because of them. I remember that first night in the hotel room. Had my own room... Just on the phone with my parents freaking out. Lol lived the dream!

Music is amazing. Music and weed. No two things bridge gaps between people more than those two things. Speaking of we EACH got an 1/8 of bomb ass regs for $10!!! Weed is good and cheap in Memphis!!
great story Rebel

Mornin @Ozone69 how are you this fine day sir?

Doing ok. Little bananas.

200.gif

How 'bout you? Hash banger got you shooting rainbows out of your hands yet? :baked:

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back