Live Stoners Live Stoner Eats !!! Let's See what's for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got tired of store bought chicken sausage. I cannot eat beef or pork due to an immune response. My wife gave me a signed book on sausage from Bruce Aidells 30 years ago. I use his recipes for the best sausage you could make. I just substitute chicken thighs with the skin. I bone them and make broth with the bones. And boneless skinless breasts at about 1.5# thighs to 1# breast meat. Cut it into pieces that will go through my Weston Meat Grinder. Mix in the seasonings and feed through the grinder. I use a fine plate for breakfast and a little courser for the Italian. I made 20# today half Italian and half breakfast. Here are the spices:
Breakfast
3# pork butt - I use chicken see above.
1# pork back fat - I use chicken see above.
3tsp salt
2tsp black pepper
2tsp sage
1tsp thyme
2tsp sugar
1Tbls red pepper flakes
1tsp cayenne - I don't use it gives me indigestion.
1/2 cup water - not needed with chicken

Italian
3# pork butt - I use chicken see above.
1# pork back fat - I use chicken see above.
1Tblsp granulated garlic
3tsp salt
2tsp black pepper
2Tbls. anise or fennel seed (I use both 50/50)
1Tbls red pepper flakes
1tsp cayenne - I don't use it gives me indigestion.
1/2 cup water - not needed with chicken
2Tbls Sambuca Liquor (this is like a secret ingredient you will only get in home made sausage. I double it.)

Fresh dried spices makes a huge difference in the end product. In other words don't use that stuff that has been in the spice cabinet for months or years!

After grinding I let it sit in the frig overnight then make into patties or log shapes and freeze. The flavors are actually better after they have been frozen.

Bon Appetite

It is only logical that I have an Italian sausage sandwich for supper.

Grill some onions and frying peppers until golden. Grate hard cheese (Pecorino and Parmigiano-Reggiano this time). In a no stick pan over medium heat add some butter and good sour dough bread slices (San Luis Sour Dough) soak up the butter on one side of the bread. Lift the bread and shape the grated cheese to fit and put the bread on top of the cheese. let it brown medium Remove the bread to a plate cheese side up. Cook the sausage to the shape of the bread. Spread a thin layer of Best Foods Mayonnaise on the cheese side of the bread. Put a slice of Swiss cheese food cheese on top of the last turn of the sausage (I know but it just works, I have tried many others). Put your sandwich together and enjoy.

s1.jpg
s2.jpg

It is only logical that I have an Italian sausage sandwich for supper.

Grill some onions and frying peppers until golden. Grate hard cheese (Pecorino and Parmigiano-Reggiano this time). In a no stick pan over medium heat add some butter and good sour dough bread slices (San Luis Sour Dough) soak up the butter on one side of the bread. Lift the bread and shape the grated cheese to fit and put the bread on top of the cheese. let it brown medium Remove the bread to a plate cheese side up. Cook the sausage to the shape of the bread. Spread a thin layer of Best Foods Mayonnaise on the cheese side of the bread. Put a slice of Swiss cheese food cheese on top of the last turn of the sausage (I know but it just works, I have tried many others). Put your sandwich together and enjoy.

View attachment 973330 View attachment 973331
Can I get 2 of those to go please? Damn that's a nice sandwich!

Chili Verde

This is one of those meals with just a few ingredients. It is all about how you cook it that makes or breaks it.

Back in the old days Ortega used to make a fire roasted Anaheim canned chili. They are steamed now with very poor flavor. So the first thing you have to do is fire roast your peppers. I use a large gas burner camp stove in my back yard to burn the outside of the peppers. Then peel, stem and seed them. I use pork butt pick one with good firm back fat - not squishy.

Here are the simple ingredients:

10 - 12 lbs. of pork shoulder butt cut into 1/2" cubes (leave about 10% of the fat)
1 brown onion diced
2 Jalapeño peppers quartered - optional
35 - 40 fire roasted peppers cut into 1/2" strips
2 Tbsp. flour
1 [HASHTAG]#10[/HASHTAG] tin of diced tomatoes.
salt to taste

The secret is in the cooking. Throw the pork into a heavy bottom pot with the Jalapeño pepper and cook until it starts to fry. Throw in the onion and brown until there is a nice brown coating on the bottom of the pot ( most people ignore the browning and this is critical). Stir in the flour. Pour in the diced tomato, de-glaze the pot and bring to a simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes until the tomato gets sweet. Salt to taste. Add the chili strips and bring back to a boil. Serve with fresh cooked buttered flour tortillas.

Chicharrones:
Take all of the solid fat trim (a little meat is good) cut into 1/2" cubes and cook over low heat until golden brown. Keep lowering the heat as they cook so they don't burn. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt. Eat while still hot. If you have never done this you are in for a treat.

Some things to know: When the pork and onion are cooked before you add the flour, Pull some out and eat in a rolled up flour tortilla. Make green chili Verde with Tomatillos (use no flour) instead of tomato.

v1.jpg
v2.jpg
v3.jpg
v4.jpg
v5.jpg
v6.jpg
v7.jpg
v8.jpg
v9.jpg
v9a.jpg
v9b.jpg
v9c.jpg
v9d.jpg

Chili Verde

This is one of those meals with just a few ingredients. It is all about how you cook it that makes or breaks it.

Back in the old days Ortega used to make a fire roasted Anaheim canned chili. They are steamed now with very poor flavor. So the first thing you have to do is fire roast your peppers. I use a large gas burner camp stove in my back yard to burn the outside of the peppers. Then peel, stem and seed them. I use pork butt pick one with good firm back fat - not squishy.

Here are the simple ingredients:

10 - 12 lbs. of pork shoulder butt cut into 1/2" cubes (leave about 10% of the fat)
1 brown onion diced
2 Jalapeño peppers quartered - optional
35 - 40 fire roasted peppers cut into 1/2" strips
2 Tbsp. flour
1 [HASHTAG]#10[/HASHTAG] tin of diced tomatoes.
salt to taste

The secret is in the cooking. Throw the pork into a heavy bottom pot with the Jalapeño pepper and cook until it starts to fry. Throw in the onion and brown until there is a nice brown coating on the bottom of the pot ( most people ignore the browning and this is critical). Stir in the flour. Pour in the diced tomato, de-glaze the pot and bring to a simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes until the tomato gets sweet. Salt to taste. Add the chili strips and bring back to a boil. Serve with fresh cooked buttered flour tortillas.

Chicharrones:
Take all of the solid fat trim (a little meat is good) cut into 1/2" cubes and cook over low heat until golden brown. Keep lowering the heat as they cook so they don't burn. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt. Eat while still hot. If you have never done this you are in for a treat.

Some things to know: When the pork and onion are cooked before you add the flour, Pull some out and eat in a rolled up flour tortilla. Make green chili Verde with Tomatillos (use no flour) instead of tomato.

View attachment 974072 View attachment 974073 View attachment 974074 View attachment 974075 View attachment 974076 View attachment 974077 View attachment 974078 View attachment 974079 View attachment 974080 View attachment 974081 View attachment 974082 View attachment 974083 View attachment 974084
I'm ready for my bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back