Live Stoners Live Stoner Eats !!! Let's See what's for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be an "offset" smoker because of the firebox. That will work alright....mine is only cheap tin like that and it works fine. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS to keep temps up in...but at least that has a proper offset firebox. I would honestly check the local classifieds as a good smoker is made of pretty thick iron and will last a long time. Great deals to be had. The main problem with thin tin is the inability for the metal to hold any kind of heat. Also make sure you are measuring the temp where the meat is, and not somewhere else. I am 99% sure I could achieve real good results with that second one u posted. Use a water bath....use BOILING water, so u don't have to waste mad heat getting it up to a proper 212/100 wherever u are. Wood chunks burn MUCH more consistent than those little crap chips...I just use those for instant heat. Fruit/Nut/Hickory/Maple/Oak/Mesquite. Little blocks work well for smaller smokers as u can use em wet or dry. Dry burns better, wet smokes better. Even if you get 6 hours in some good smoke under temp, worst case, finish it in the ole range and nobody will be none the wiser. Also, start with some pork shoulder/Boston Butt. Cut it into thirds if you want deep smoke penetration and maximum bark. RUBBA DUBBA don't skimp on the rub. LOAD that shit on till no more can stick. That's how u rub for some insane flavor. Like stated above, yellow mustard works great to stick shit on and keep the meat moist for the first few hours....you can ALWAYS finish anything in the oven....do not forget that. After 10 hours, sometimes your just outta steam....don't fuck up with the finish line so close....fire the oven to 275° and finish strong if that's what it takes. Let me tell you how COMPLETELY easy it is to make THE BEST BBQ that you have ever had. Keep it moist, use rubs, IF it's getting a finishing sauce (like RyBZ) do that for the last hour or so....in stages....paint it on.... stick it.... repeat 5 times building up the "base coat", keep temps under 275° usually closer to 225-250°F, use good wood for the type of meat you are making....don't touch it.....it really usually doesn't even require flipping, don't rush it....things go from not done to perfect pretty quick, and learn from your mistakes. You got this, I've seen you're food.

There called KAAHBS Joe

Ribs turned out really, really tasty. They looked so nice when I was foiling them up that I decided to keep 'em dry and didn't do the traditional sauce mop between the 2 and the 1 in 3-2-1 ribs. So they were more like 3-2.5 ribs than 3-2-1. :chef:
IMG_7304.JPG

Nothing too fancy, just a boxed stuffing mix and some pasta salad on the side.
IMG_7305.JPG

I dunno...some folks may not consider pellet cookers true BBQ because they don't use the right form of wood or are too easy to use or something, but everyone here sure loves the way the food tastes comin' off one. :baked:
IMG_7319.JPG

As a little extra, after pulling the ribs I turned the pellet pooper up to 350F and gave it a few to warm up while I took the ribs in and let them start to rest. Pulled a frozen pie out of the freezer and tossed it in to cook for about an hour and a little. Some rhubarb peach action for later this evening when the munchies kick in real good.

IMG_7325.JPG

Ribs turned out really, really tasty. They looked so nice when I was foiling them up that I decided to keep 'em dry and didn't do the traditional sauce mop between the 2 and the 1 in 3-2-1 ribs. So they were more like 3-2.5 ribs than 3-2-1. :chef:
View attachment 926561

Nothing too fancy, just a boxed stuffing mix and some pasta salad on the side.
View attachment 926562

I dunno...some folks may not consider pellet cookers true BBQ because they don't use the right form of wood or are too easy to use or something, but everyone here sure loves the way the food tastes comin' off one. :baked:
View attachment 926563

As a little extra, after pulling the ribs I turned the pellet pooper up to 350F and gave it a few to warm up while I took the ribs in and let them start to rest. Pulled a frozen pie out of the freezer and tossed it in to cook for about an hour and a little. Some rhubarb peach action for later this evening when the munchies kick in real good.

View attachment 926564
Smoked Pies. Only on AFN. Here is a little recipe you guys with gas grills can take to the bank:.

Baby Back Pork Ribs
GOOD Rub
Sticky Finishing Sauce
Gas or Charcoal Grill

Peel silverskin membrane off ribs...load them pigs up with rub. Let em sit in the fridge for a few hours till they look juicy and wet. Put em in a big Pyrex or metal 15x11" or Hotel pan. Preheat oven to 270°....wrap top of pan tightly with foil. Make it count. Prop one edge of the pan up on something to make the pan slope one way....this will keep the ribs from stewing. Bake at 270° for about 3-4 hours....possibly more if you're doing a bunch. At LEAST 3 hours though unless you got teeny ribs....if ya do, turn the heat down to 250° and go for 2.5 hours or so. When the timer goes ding ding, take em out and reserve the liquid. If your rub is good, the pork juice should be insanely tasty. I personally have been in LOVE with black coffee rubs, and use instant coffee and grind it extra fine. Save the pork juice. When you're ready and have an hour, fire up a grill. Charcoal for the win, but propane does a real good job. Slap them shitz on the grill carefully as they will be quite tender at this point. Grill em on low-med low on gas or semi indirect on coals. For the first 30m use the reserved liquid as a mop sauce...for the last 40-50m or so, use your finishing sauce to "bake" layers on. Get a little burnt and tasty here and there from the live fire. That's how a SHITLOAD of restaurants do their ribs. If it doesn't have a smoke ring and it's not specifically saying "slow smoked for X hours" you can bet your ass that it's liquid smoke at best....you can make 8.4/10 ribs like this....they will never be quite as good as a fully smoked rib, at least in my opinion, but they will be pulling clean off the bone, sweet, sticky, and fucking magnificent. Give that a shot if ya never made ribs from scratch and ya got the gear handy. I guarantee you will impress yourself....just don't burn em, and pick a good rub and finish sauce. This method is 5x easier than true smoking for close to 90% the result.. it's a good one to have in the back pocket.

There called KAAHBS Joe

Well boys ya got me convinced. I live in the land of eternal sunshine so there's no excuse really. I also just found out that a shop in the capital has wood chunks for smoking with flavours. At least I think they're flavoured. Cherry something, pine I think (possibly made that up, pine ribs [emoji31]) and a whole load of grills. Didn't see a smoker though so gonna look into ordering one off the net. Let's get this AFN BBQ thread going though. It's made my mouth water more than the "what's for dinner" thread and I fancy a go at it!! My misses loves ribs and I'll eat anything meaty off a bbq!

Sent from Fraggle Rock

I'm thinking a weber kettle style grill would be best for me. Can't really afford a massive smoker style drum grill. Would love one though. Been learning about the snake method with ribs and brisket on YouTube. Going to buy one on Saturday and keep my current grill for quick burgers n sausages when we fancy a random BBQ at night lol

Sent from Fraggle Rock

Awww man...too bad the old Weber I decided to get rid of before I move that I stuck out front with the "free grill" sign on it has already disappeared. Could have hooked up @KrazyDave :baked:
Dayum!! Would have cost a bit to get it here though.

Sent from Fraggle Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back