Live Stoners Live Stoner Eats !!! Let's See what's for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, fish is FISH, what can I say, pretty tasty, but nothing a little beef brisket can't take care of....

2ds1mq8.jpg

She was 15# in the store, on sale. Figured out when after I trimmed it myself, over 5# of fat removed, & that still left a nice fat cap for rendering.

BTW, in case any of you connoisseurs are interested in a different BBQ sauce recipe, I have a Georgia Mustard sauce that will make you slap yo' mama.
Nice vinegar / mustard twang, but honestly, I rarely eat tomato based sauces anymore.
Shout out if you want it.

My brother likes cooking brisket a few times a year, that looks killer! I was surpised when he told me how many hours he cooked it, and that it kinda stalls, just keep roasting at low heat and it rewards him in the end. It is delicious!

Brisket is weird....eating it is one of the most enjoyable eating experiences ever but weird folks act like u need to go to BBQ college to have a decent one. I made me very first Brisket almost two years ago, and it was quite literally some of the best meat I've ever eaten. Mine was a 12.5# packet brisket from a whole animal butcher. For those who don't know, brisket is two parts: The Point, and The Flat. Packer brisket is both parts. Think of it like this, the flat is about a perfect square, a little more lean, and the point is close to an equilateral triangle and some nice rendering fat in there. Easy way to tell which cut is which, the point costs more per pound. The big packer brisket is a flat with the triangular shaped point on the top, and is creeping on ten pounds or more. Best of both worlds. Anyway, these "Brisket Masters" seem to think there is NO WAY that someone who wasn't born with an extra toe can make edible brisket, let alone legendary status brisket. It's not hard....just follow the guidelines, use a good tested rub, and keep it under 225°. I used choke cherry that I cut from a tree job for smoke and ran it at 215-225° for about 11 hours. Then just wrap it in foil, REAL good....then wrap it tight inside a beach towel..... put the whole mess in a small dry cooler....wrap that up again and let it rest for 8+ hours without opening. It should still be hot 8 hours later. I've heard ALL KINDS of people talk about "the stall"....lol....it's just a MINOR inconvenience. Folks act like it's just impossible to make. Mine was truly epic....and better than all 3 of the local BBQ joints I've got brisket from, that are "BBQ Masters". I'm jealous bro....lol...I LOVE me some brisk. That's my two cents on cows on the smoker.

Last night's family dinner: Red pepper dressing marinated grilled pork chops, some picked that day Yukon Gold potatoes, mashed through the rotary food mill to get ZERO lumps, and some grilled brussel sprouts and spicy red peppers in a terriyaki garlic butter sauce. Also made some homemade chocolate chocolate chip thumbprint cookies with salted caramel. Yum.

de7d77cb768641990e4e0f1e780b1613.jpg
5c122522829c943f6ec44bc6ffb84f2d.jpg
dc833de67cbf9a8aee5a3e9c8620400a.jpg
ce0cd6ba9553ec316ed1f41bb241193b.jpg
ff7be05465ecffc4e3e55b6319912fec.jpg

There called KAAHBS Joe

I don't t know what else it's called. I would ask for a whole packer brisket. I'm sure they will know. It's about 7-10# of flawless meat when cooked right. You GOTTA smoke it, and for authentic 'Texas Brisket' you don't use sweet rubs or sauces....more peppery and savory. It's good sweet too though, so try it both ways. Also, you can't go wrong with burnt ends....look that up if ya do some brisket. It's easy, sweet and mind numbingly delicious.
6a781cf959fc9b608c108b1698195b29.jpg

There called KAAHBS Joe

Well, fish is FISH, what can I say, pretty tasty, but nothing a little beef brisket can't take care of....

2ds1mq8.jpg

She was 15# in the store, on sale. Figured out when after I trimmed it myself, over 5# of fat removed, & that still left a nice fat cap for rendering.

BTW, in case any of you connoisseurs are interested in a different BBQ sauce recipe, I have a Georgia Mustard sauce that will make you slap yo' mama.
Nice vinegar / mustard twang, but honestly, I rarely eat tomato based sauces anymore.
Shout out if you want it.
That brisket looks awesome. I like a sweet mustard sauce but family isn't so keen on it.

I don't t know what else it's called. I would ask for a whole packer brisket. I'm sure they will know. It's about 7-10# of flawless meat when cooked right. You GOTTA smoke it, and for authentic 'Texas Brisket' you don't use sweet rubs or sauces....more peppery and savory. It's good sweet too though, so try it both ways. Also, you can't go wrong with burnt ends....look that up if ya do some brisket. It's easy, sweet and mind numbingly delicious.

There called KAAHBS Joe
Everything you said about cooking a texas style brisket is spot on. The differences in a damn good one and a great one is the patinaed flavor in a well aged pit. Franklin, Kruetz all the best have 25 year plus old pits Cheers chef dave

There called KAAHBS Joe
Sooooo turns out it's called.... Brisket [emoji23][emoji23] Never heard of it until this thread. I've also never used a BBQ Pit or smoker or whatever they're called. Any tips? The ones I've used here are like a bowl full of charcoal with a grill on top. No lid

Sent from Fraggle Rock

Sooooo turns out it's called.... Brisket [emoji23][emoji23] Never heard of it until this thread. I've also never used a BBQ Pit or smoker or whatever they're called. Any tips? The ones I've used here are like a bowl full of charcoal with a grill on top. No lid

Sent from Fraggle Rock

You can do it with a charcoal grill, but you need one that at least has a lid so you can control the air flow. I haven't done a full brisket, but I've done some "low and slow" style cooks with pork shoulder, ribs, and a few other things on a simple Weber kettle charcoal grill before.

Look for videos and directions on doing what's called "indirect heat setup". Basically, what you do is setup all your coals off to one side of the grill, and then what you'll be cooking goes onto the grate on the opposite side so it's not directly over the coals. They you have to monitor the temp of the grill and close and open the air vents to control the temp. Typical setup you would close off the vents to almost closed (don't want to completely kill the fire) when it starts getting too hot, and open them back up when it's cooled back down.

If you're going to try it, I highly recommend picking up a dual probe, wireless grilling thermometer. You want the dual probe so that you can use one probe to monitor your foods temperature, and one to monitor the temp inside your grill. Outfit called Maverick makes nice ones stateside that are really popular. Wireless monitor lets you go back in the house, and you can configure alarms to let you know when your pit is too hot or too cold and when your meat reaches a target temp.

:chef:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back