Live Stoners Live Stoner Eats !!! Let's See what's for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gumbo....looks dark and tasty. Another textbook example of a roux. Nice dark roux for gumby as it's more of a signature flavor then a thickener when it gets dark.

Horror Story:. 14 years ago...spent about $70 on some PRIME ingredients for a killer gumbo recipe I got. Skrimps, Chorizzo, Chicken Gizzards...everything bought fresh and premium quality. First time ever doing a roux. I fucking BURNED the roux without realizing it. Made the gumbo with the burned roux and wrecked everything. $70 straight down the drain. Lesson learned. ALWAYS taste your roux...there is a real fine line between that natural nutty brown roux and burnt butter/flour. They look REAL similar...but don't taste it...lol. Use a thick bottom pan (Dutch Oven A++) and keep the heat down....the darker the roux you want (Gumbo)...let it go for 20 mins or more on low heat. Normal blond roux is about 5-7 mins on med-low. Try it out guys....some amazing g flavor hiding inside a little bit of buddy and a scoop of flour.

There called KAAHBS Joe
This Gumbo is just as you said it's full of flavor I also had some Butter Garlic Cabbage with it as well!! I love to cook but have to admit I would Ruin a Roux but one day I will get it down!!!

I fish in south Louisiana, and the ladies there used to make etoufe and made their base by cooking down onions, all night! This was an elderly cajun lady, but it was wicked stuff!

If you wanna make consistent rouxs, temp control is critical. Also the right pan. Even a guy like Emeril would struggle with a roux in the wrong pan. I pretty much dialed in my roux game on a mini Dutch oven...which if you don't know, is enamel coated cast iron. Heavy, badass, expensive...but one of my all time favorite cooking vessels. (If you like breakfast, and Friendly's style toasted sandwhiches, get yourself a Calphalon double burner hard anodized griddle....the other one of my favorite pans). For most if the things that I truly need the Dutch for, the small one is more than enough....anyway, you absolutely want the heaviest bottom, non-stick pan you can find. Small pan for rouxs so the roux is deep. Use real good quality butter in a 50/50 mix with flour and keep it moving with a fork or whisk constantly. The longer it goes, the darker it gets, the more flavor it has, and the less it is a true thickening agent. Minimum is about 5 mins for it to be called a roux...light blonde...and a dark roux can take up to 25-30m and turn the color of dark caramel. This is what you use for many Creole dishes. I've had equal success with good butter, snow cap lard, and stupid clean high quality bacon fat. It's really not bad. Try a cheese sauce for your first go. Take 1T each of budda or ultra clean (strained) bacon fat and flour. Med-Low heat in small deep heavy pan. Stir constantly for 5 min. Then add 1/2c ice cold milk and continue to stir. Once the milk gets hot, it will start to super thicken. Let it get pretty thick without boiling. Right at the edge is where you want it. Once the milk is thick like pouridge, immediately remove from heat and stir in about 4oz of some nice Sharp white cheddar...or whatever you like and stir for 20 secs as the cheese melts in. It's ready. Taste it. Jaw on the floor yet? If ya did it right, you could sit there and eat it with a spoon and be a happy camper till it's gone. Try it. Then make some nachos and grab some beers and blow kids minds next time you're watching the game. It's that good. Or make pretzels, steam broccoli, bake potatoes or just dump it in some noodles and throw it in the oven for the best Mac n cheese ever.

There called KAAHBS Joe

If you wanna make consistent rouxs, temp control is critical. Also the right pan. Even a guy like Emeril would struggle with a roux in the wrong pan. I pretty much dialed in my roux game on a mini Dutch oven...which if you don't know, is enamel coated cast iron. Heavy, badass, expensive...but one of my all time favorite cooking vessels. (If you like breakfast, and Friendly's style toasted sandwhiches, get yourself a Calphalon double burner hard anodized griddle....the other one of my favorite pans). For most if the things that I truly need the Dutch for, the small one is more than enough....anyway, you absolutely want the heaviest bottom, non-stick pan you can find. Small pan for rouxs so the roux is deep. Use real good quality butter in a 50/50 mix with flour and keep it moving with a fork or whisk constantly. The longer it goes, the darker it gets, the more flavor it has, and the less it is a true thickening agent. Minimum is about 5 mins for it to be called a roux...light blonde...and a dark roux can take up to 25-30m and turn the color of dark caramel. This is what you use for many Creole dishes. I've had equal success with good butter, snow cap lard, and stupid clean high quality bacon fat. It's really not bad. Try a cheese sauce for your first go. Take 1T each of budda or ultra clean (strained) bacon fat and flour. Med-Low heat in small deep heavy pan. Stir constantly for 5 min. Then add 1/2c ice cold milk and continue to stir. Once the milk gets hot, it will start to super thicken. Let it get pretty thick without boiling. Right at the edge is where you want it. Once the milk is thick like pouridge, immediately remove from heat and stir in about 4oz of some nice Sharp white cheddar...or whatever you like and stir for 20 secs as the cheese melts in. It's ready. Taste it. Jaw on the floor yet? If ya did it right, you could sit there and eat it with a spoon and be a happy camper till it's gone. Try it. Then make some nachos and grab some beers and blow kids minds next time you're watching the game. It's that good. Or make pretzels, steam broccoli, bake potatoes or just dump it in some noodles and throw it in the oven for the best Mac n cheese ever.

There called KAAHBS Joe

Daym, that just made me hungry!

when I buy a few lbs of craw fish I save all the heads with no tails and freeze them. When I'm ready to make a rouxs I use all the "fat" from those crawfish heads to cook down in the rouxs Its makes it buttery Rich.. crawfish guts are very high in protein..All kinds of stuff!! :pass:
crawfish-boil.jpg
If i feep talking about them, Ill end up buying them... :biggrin:

I was just about to ask how you liked the pellet grill. I was looking at one of these Pit Boss XL to replace the old propane grill.
View attachment 913793
The pitbossis great it's no difference between it and my treguer my brother has the pitbossis and has little more room then I do but all in all its identical. U will love it, but I still love all 5 of my wood and charcoal fed smokers. I grill and smoke all year, fishing, grilling and canna are my personal favorite hobbies. Peach tree wood is the best for any Hawaiian BBQ type of smoking or BBQ in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back