Live Stoners Live Stoner Eats !!! Let's See what's for Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tri tip on Traeger Lil Tex Elite

full

full
Wow that looks fine fine fine!!! Cooked to perfection!! Look at the color!! Nice one FD!
Shame I cant try that. :( mouth watering

I was just about to ask how you liked the pellet grill. I was looking at one of these Pit Boss XL to replace the old propane grill.
View attachment 913793

Can't really speak to the Pit Boss brand as I've never seen one, put here's my take on pellet grills in general:

They are awesome!!! IF....what you are looking for is being able to do "low and slow" BBQ with super duper ease. But don't be in too big a hurry to get rid of the gas grill when you get it. It's not uncommon for pellet grillers to keep a propane grill on the side for doing the high heat searing type work. Pellet grills will do that, but they top out at around 450F usually while a good gasser can run much hotter. Some folks will even do things like combo the two and do reverse seared steaks cooked slow on the pellet smoker for an hour or so then seared off for a few minutes per side on a gasser.

There's a web forums site out there called Pellet Heads that used to be one of the best sites around for info on pellet grills. Different brands, what to expect when getting one compared to working with propane, etc..etc.. They went through a shake up a year or two ago so not sure how active they still are. Think a lot of the regulars moved over to a site called Pellet Fans.

I was just about to ask how you liked the pellet grill. I was looking at one of these Pit Boss XL to replace the old propane grill.
View attachment 913793
I've never used a pit boss so I'm not sure on their temp ranges. I can't get this one up to 475-500 but not much more than that.

You can fill the hopper and 10 hours later still not need pellets on the smoke-180 temp settings. Really does a great job in setting and holding the temps. If you want sear you heat a cast iron in there while the steaks are cooking by the time slow cooked steaks are done the pan will be nice and hot. If you must have that crisp outer layer you can have it. Personally those only happen when I do fillets.

Other cuts like ribeye, strips, tbones and such I'd rather not sear I'd rather slow cook. I thinks it's all about what you enjoy the most. I typically like the slow cooking process and do a lot of ribs, pork loin and shoulders, and several cuts of beef including prime rib which is tits on these things. I ditched gas a long time ago and have been a charcoal / wood guy for a long time now. Now that I got the Traeger I'll not have anything else

Just finished reading this entire thread.....whew! Some awesome foods cooking around the world! At first I was surprised at the fact you guys and girls have kept this going for multi years and almost 1200 posts; but then I remembered the super power of the munchie cannaboid....made complete sense then. Did pick up more than a few recipes to try altho I don't cook as much these days as I am flying solo. Just one question......do any of you weigh less than 300lbs? And you must be on a first name basis with a good cardiologist! Great thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back