Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is likely at least in part because the trucks for heavy duty hauling have longer shafts. The Ford shaft you refer to likely weighs more than a two piece assembly would, and back in 72, Ford was less concerned about weight. More recently, Ford was the first to go with aluminum bodies on the F150. I should check to see if my newish one has a two part shaft. If it does, it would be in order to reduce the weight of the shaft setup while still avoiding shaft vibration issues.

In one of my older Tacoma's I had minor but to me annoying shaft vibration issues, but I can't recall if it was the two part shaft design. If it was not, more recent ones may have gone to the two piece in order to fix the problem that I had in mine.

Anyway, the issue of shaft vibration is more about shaft length and stiffness than horsepower, although horsepower requires, all else being equal, heavier shafts, and heavier shafts may suggest a two piece design if the extra weight does not produce the needed increase in stiffness.

All this was clarfied quite nicely during my boat problem. It has a one inch solid stainless steel drive shaft which operated for years perfectly at all rpms. Then I got the brilliant idea of installing a modern so call dripless shaft seal on the shaft. The seal design included a substantial stainless steel collar attached to the rotating shaft as part of the seal design. Installation of the collar put maybe 200-300g of extra weight in the middle of the shaft, while the shaft stiffness was not changed. After doing that the setup worked perfectly until about 3000 rpm, but if I operated higher than that, all hell would break loose once in a while. At higher rpms, the shaft would unpredictably develop shaft whip that was violent enough to feel through your feet anywhere in the 37 foot sailboat. I spent a lot of money chasing the issue down because initial analysis suggested that the vee drive or transmission was the fault. After spending on those possibilities, I eventually figured out what the problem was, removed the new dripless seal, re-installed the old one, and problem instantly solved.

More information than you needed I expect, but I do get carried away sometimes. :biggrin: :pighug:
That could have also been the fact that the shafts joint were made to be misaligned by the addition of the steel collar. Misalignment of the shaft joints is a major cause of shafts vibration. The shafts operating angle was probably made more steep causing added stress and when the engine is torqued, it rotates more causing the angle to be greater.

Even the lowest, most hidden buds on this Jean-O Rootbeer Float have crazy amounts of frost. Doing well after a little stem split. She is up there with the Mendo 20/20, Bubble Trix. Looking forward to sampling this one.

20231111_084809.jpg
20231111_084942.jpg

What are you guys do for a living? I find life a bit boring when there is nothing to do.
Used to work at a weed shop for 8 years, went to jail twice then I quit. Started working for a scooter company (yes picking up and charging scooters) lost my job in 2020 due to lockdowns, Had a baby in 2021 that was born with some health problems so now my "job" is being a caregiver to my son but we don't get paid to do that so I guess you could say I'm unemployed? :shrug:
Taking some courses online to try and land a job in graphics design so we will see how that goes. Once my sons trach comes out in a couple years, if I don't have a job by then I'll have to get back out on the horse and look for one. Or think about going to trade school or something. I've never not worked so it's weird to just be sitting around all day but being here for my son is the most important job I've ever had! :headbang:

Used to work at a weed shop for 8 years, went to jail twice then I quit. Started working for a scooter company (yes picking up and charging scooters) lost my job in 2020 due to lockdowns, Had a baby in 2021 that was born with some health problems so now my "job" is being a caregiver to my son but we don't get paid to do that so I guess you could say I'm unemployed? :shrug:
Taking some courses online to try and land a job in graphics design so we will see how that goes. Once my sons trach comes out in a couple years, if I don't have a job by then I'll have to get back out on the horse and look for one. Or think about going to trade school or something. I've never not worked so it's weird to just be sitting around all day but being here for my son is the most important job I've ever had! :headbang:

You should be able to get hired by the state as your son's caretaker. A friend of my wife's did that for her daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back