Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '22. 2700 pagez & 483k viewz

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why I’ve got a smelly hound. Perfect cover. :crying::crying:Blame the dog.
Your correct Auntie, the older, the fewer shits to give, but the ranker we be.

When hubby was Deaf I was getting away with Murder......then I passed and pumped.....and he said Aw my Gawd have you Farted.....?

I said...oh...oh....I Thought you were Deaf.......?

He said.....I didn't bloody Hear it...........:gassy1:...oops...........

:crying::crying::crying:

Good Morfnoevight All you happy Stoners!

So I either had a stroke of genius or just a stroke. But I've been fighting with this potting soil I bought, it just does not want to retain water. Yesterday I over watered and today they are back to barely damp almost dry again.

Then I remembered something a bunch of people were doing when I was playing around with growing magic mushrooms.

Orbeez.

View attachment 1546997

Or just "water beads". It was $10 for a thing of 10k of them. Little polymer beads that soak up and then release water slowly.
You can get them even cheaper if you are ok with them being booger green or glow in the dark, because walmart is selling those airsoft type guns that shoot them now. But I got the multi colored ones from the craft section.

They were invented in the 1960s to do exactly this, help with agricultural water retention.

You can either put them directly on top, or till them into your soil. UV light will break them down, so I tilled mine in, but they do look fun on top, right?

Plus they help aerate your soil, as they expand and contract from taking in and releasing water.

@Blue_dreamer:welcome:Welcome to AFN.

I do not believe you are watering properly? There is no way that a properly watered PLASTIC bucket can dry out overnight. 5 to 10 days with plants that small would be more normal. Perhaps your soil dried out and became hydrophobic? Get an air-gap under those pots.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. Slowly wet ALL of the soil until run-off begins. There is an art to watering.

If the Orbeez keep the top of the pot too moist you will have pest problem.

:welcome: and :goodluck:

hmmm.... View attachment 1547058 me thinkz @Suki musta sumhow walled herself in durin the kitchen remodel.....sanz phone of course :doh: :rofl: ppp

I was about to ask about @Suki myself?

When hubby was Deaf I was getting away with Murder......then I passed and pumped.....and he said Aw my Gawd have you Farted.....?

I said...oh...oh....I Thought you were Deaf.......?

He said.....I didn't bloody Hear it...........:gassy1:...oops...........

:crying::crying::crying:
I used to light a match…works a charm…deny deny deny

Good Morfnoevight All you happy Stoners!

@Blue_dreamer:welcome:Welcome to AFN.

I do not believe you are watering properly? There is no way that a properly watered PLASTIC bucket can dry out overnight. 5 to 10 days with plants that small would be more normal. Perhaps your soil dried out and became hydrophobic? Get an air-gap under those pots.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. Slowly wet ALL of the soil until run-off begins. There is an art to watering.

If the Orbeez keep the top of the pot too moist you will have pest problem.

:welcome: and :goodluck:

I was about to ask about @Suki myself?
Once dry,hydrophobic soil has been rewetted, instillation of microbes is necessary to promote a healthy root zone. Never allow organic soil to dry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back