Status
Not open for further replies.

I’d be more apt to do videos again I stopped cause it was such a pita and the quality wasn’t there IMO wasn’t worth the time they took to create for a low quality video. I felt high quality pictures did a better job but if videos could be larger then it would be different story

Hey Jean O!

Would I be remiss in saying that to do breeding "properly" you would need to take things to F4 regardless of using either method of breeding to stabilize a new strain?

Say you did the route of photo to auto cross, it would take to F4 to be full auto and to breed for traits along the way. Or, you create feminized pollen and breed for traits along the way. Obviously the auto to auto would work from the F1, but phenos would be all over the place and need to be taken further generations to refine and stabilize...

Seems close to the same amount of time other than growing the first round of photos to find a male. Or if you already had a male or pollen, the same amount of time

Sorry if this seems liked stoned rambling...well, cause it is! :rofl:
Stability can often differ depending on the parent strains and how stable they were to start and how different they are from each other in their genetic makeup from the start.
To try n make a full photo to auto conversion I've found I get more auto phenotypes in a F1 generation when I use the auto as the mother n take pollen from the photoperiod. I generally see about 25% of the progeny turn out to be full autos in that F1 pairing. When I've used the photoperiod as the mother and the auto for pollen I would only see maybe 5 % of that progeny to show full auto traits. So if I were to take a full auto phenotype of the F1 pairing self it I will usually see 50 to 75% of that progeny to show full auto traits but if I were to use 2 separate auto phenotypes that number decreases a bit to roughly 30 to 50% of those offsprings to show full auto traits. Depending on how you breed the line you could potentially have all auto phenotypes by the F3 stage, but there is always a possibility of the odd photoperiod trait to pop up at any time no matter how far down the line you are in the process.
F1 pairings are usually pretty homogeneous in phenotypes again depending on how similar the parent strains are but the F2 and again F4 generations will have the most diversity same goes for S1 and S3 or selfings.
When using a female to reverse for pollen you will be able to collect more data points in your breeding process over using a male plant and unless you keep the same male for the entire breeding process you will more than likely see different results during the breeding. I personally like creating both feminized and non feminized seeds and don't feel either is better than the other. Males do however take up plant count n precious space and $ so it really all is a personal preference as to go with feminized or non feminized seeds.
Hopefully some of my stoned rambling is useful :crying:

Thanks @Lil Dab !

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 10.43.12 AM.png

Two stable unrelated parents will produce a stable F1. For instance: Reversing one of two stabilized feminized F4's and crossing them will produce a very stable F1. The F1 will equally share traits from both parents and will be consistent from one seed to the next... But, crossing those F1's will result in a high rate of phenotype variation in the F2 gen.

:pass:
1707062746847.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back