Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have some everglades tomatoes that I'm going to plant on my fence line. Apparently they are like the proto-tomato that every other tomato has hence come from. They are super small cherry tomatoes. I'm going to plant them on my back fence line on my chain link fence in the backyard so they have something to climb on and see what happens. I had some seeds last year and I could not get a single damn one of them to sprout. I tried everything. I finally messaged the guy on ebay and was like hey man, what gives? He said they grow wild on his property and he just goes out and collects seeds and maybe I just got some off a sterile plant or something, so he sent me another 20 or so seeds.

But I am REALLY looking forward to those Barry's Crazy Cherry Tomatoes.

I am debating how I want to do my garden this year. Last year I grew everything in Kratky hydroponics and used Masterblend nutrients. Same stuff I use on my weed. They grew fantastic, but both me and my wife noticed the tomatoes were just missing "something". They were good. Better than store bought. But just not as good as non-hydroponic tomatoes. So I think I'm going to do things more naturally this year.

I've been debating about building some raised beds. But I really like using totes and buckets because then I can re-arrange my garden however I feel like each year. And I already have 10 of those 27 gallon rubbermaid totes, and they are only $8 each at Costco right now. Drill a few holes in the bottom, put down a layer of landscape fabric and fill it with compost.
We put in 4 4x4 and 4 4x8 raised beds about 18" deep a couple years ago. It's a ton of dirt and needed a bobcat to fill them. Too much soil to grow tomatoes in. The plants get so big they collapse onto themselves unless you're gonna trellis them

Whats everyone's thoughts on mesh drying racks? I was thinking about getting one
I use this ;)
image.jpg

We put in 4 4x4 and 4 4x8 raised beds about 18" deep a couple years ago. It's a ton of dirt and needed a bobcat to fill them. Too much soil to grow tomatoes in. The plants get so big they collapse onto themselves unless you're gonna trellis them

Yeah, you can get 20 gallon grow bags for like $4 a piece. I'm not seeing a ton of benefit in raised beds besides "it looks nicer."

I also have some everglades tomatoes that I'm going to plant on my fence line. Apparently they are like the proto-tomato that every other tomato has hence come from. They are super small cherry tomatoes. I'm going to plant them on my back fence line on my chain link fence in the backyard so they have something to climb on and see what happens. I had some seeds last year and I could not get a single damn one of them to sprout. I tried everything. I finally messaged the guy on ebay and was like hey man, what gives? He said they grow wild on his property and he just goes out and collects seeds and maybe I just got some off a sterile plant or something, so he sent me another 20 or so seeds.

But I am REALLY looking forward to those Barry's Crazy Cherry Tomatoes.

I am debating how I want to do my garden this year. Last year I grew everything in Kratky hydroponics and used Masterblend nutrients. Same stuff I use on my weed. They grew fantastic, but both me and my wife noticed the tomatoes were just missing "something". They were good. Better than store bought. But just not as good as non-hydroponic tomatoes. So I think I'm going to do things more naturally this year.

I've been debating about building some raised beds. But I really like using totes and buckets because then I can re-arrange my garden however I feel like each year. And I already have 10 of those 27 gallon rubbermaid totes, and they are only $8 each at Costco right now. Drill a few holes in the bottom, put down a layer of landscape fabric and fill it with compost.

Nothin better than sun grown tomatoes in healthy dirt! I'm in raised beds, but only have a 10 x 20' fenced in space. Shit load of dear around here that eat anything and everything. So, somewhat limited on space. Will be doing a few trellis this year for the first time with inderterminate tomatoes(sun gold) and others) , beans, sugar snaps, and maybe those Kamari melons. Will be interesting to see how much space it saves

Saw some guy online that was using those totes with dirt sort of like an earthbox. He drilled a bunch of holes in 3", sunk them to the bottom on one end and filled with dirt/compost. He was growing tomatoes that had an exterior trellis. Amazing the quantity he was able to pull!

Are you sprouting indoors with a heat mat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back