Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs are the best. Best thing a lot of people can do for themselves. Just gotta be prepared for the vet bills
Yup, last trip south our vet bill was bigger than the original cost of the dog. Didn't care much at the time though. She was starting to have difficulty breathing, which is where we went into emergency mode.

It turned out that she had an abscess beneath her tongue, likely caused by getting a sliver from chewing wood. Of course the sliver was long gone by the time we noticed a problem. I had searched her mouth a few times trying to figure out what was up, but could never see a thing.

I later thought a bee sting was a possible cause, but a vet friend says that that is very unlikely. Apparently such infections are a common problem with dogs that won't leave the wood alone. Before we managed to get her to a vet, I was really worried because the symptoms became similar to rabies, slobbering excessively, actually foaming at the mouth, unwilling or unable to eat or drink, etc. Since she likely had previous contact with bats, I was sweating big time. Had rabies been the diagnosis, our dog would have been put down immediately whether we liked it or not. Been a while since I heard better news than when the vet delivered the diagnosis.

A mere ~$1000 and a couple days later, and you would never know the dog had a problem. Without the bill, she would likely have died. Dog ownership has its perks, but its risks as well. I would not go back though. That little animal has brought more affection, humor, and enjoyment into our lives than either me or my wife imagined was possible, and both of us had dogs in our family when we were kids. And she sure gets us off the couch.

With apologies to peeps with children, it is my impression that having a child is one of if not the only experience comparable to raising a puppy. Peeps with kids might point out that since I have no kids, I do not know what I am talking about, and they may be right. So I'll conclude with a comment from a friend with both dogs and kids: "Kids and dogs are similar, but the dogs are always happy to see us get home. The teens, not so much" :pighug:

You should try animal movies after a career as a professional biologist.

When I watched "The Gray" (the wife pretty much made me go) I could not help myself, I laughed till I hurt at some of the bs (the movie was, in theory, about wolves). At times I figured I might get tossed out because I was regularly the only person in the whole theater that was laughing. The wife was not amused, but we did stick it out to the end of the movie.

So, in a nutshell, I feel yer pain. :pighug:

OTOH, that wolf movie wasn't supposed to be a comedy, but for a former biologist, it worked as one, sort of. The only problem was that I find it bloody hard to get by the fact that most peeps would think that that pure bs had some connection to reality. :face:
Funny how they spend money on BS, but won't spend it on good consultants.

That concentrate vape looks like the ticket. Doesn't seem to be available in Canada, and too bad about the price, but impressive design. :pighug:
It's a hefty price tag... But it is entirely made in the US and you definitely know it when you hold it in your hand. I've got Evolv DNA devices that've lasted better than 10 years(and still going), and that's exactly the type of outstanding quality you'll get from Evolv. I can't wait to see what else they may have in store for the future, as this is their first leap into this market.

:pass:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back