Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said wasted

:crying:

beavis-and-butt-head-laughing.gif

That's just the tip of the Iceburg. Prisons are nothing more than Governmental money funnels. For instance.. License plates made in an institution by prison workers who are paid 25¢ per hour with tax money, to manufacture thousands of plates per day to be sold back to the public at an exponential profit... Basically, selling your tax dollars back to you for profit! Try an talk about it and all you'll hear is, 'It helps rehabilitate them'... BS! It's helps fill state coffers!
End of rant... Carry on.
The prison/industrial complex is big business. My state (NY) has the 3rd highest prison population, behind TX and CA. Some people are dangerous, and need to be separated from civil society, but a majority of inmates are there for non-violent crimes. Society would be better served if they got alternative punishments. Locking people up for possessing weed is absurd. Private prison companies are a growth industry, though, and need to stay full and expand to make more money. One of the many private prison companies, G4S, has half a million employees worldwide! I suppose the tradition of locking people up for profit goes back to the post-slavery "convict leasing system."

I spent a few years "in the belly of the beast" myself, for transporting weed. I worked kitchen, laundry, grounds maintenance, furniture factory, shipping/receiving, clerk/typist. I started at $0.11/hour and for a while made the top pay grade, $1.10/hour. In those days education was still available in "da joint," and in my spare time I was able to get my GED, AA, and BA. At least I was guilty! Everybody else in there was doing time for pleading guilty to something they didn't do. That's how the plea-bargain system works: plead guilty to something you didn't do, in exchange for dropping worse charges that you were accused of. Then the parole board expects you to show remorse for something you didn't do before they'll consider you for parole... The whole system is bananas.

The prison/industrial complex is big business. My state (NY) has the 3rd highest prison population, behind TX and CA. Some people are dangerous, and need to be separated from civil society, but a majority of inmates are there for non-violent crimes. Society would be better served if they got alternative punishments. Locking people up for possessing weed is absurd. Private prison companies are a growth industry, though, and need to stay full and expand to make more money. One of the many private prison companies, G4S, has half a million employees worldwide! I suppose the tradition of locking people up for profit goes back to the post-slavery "convict leasing system."

I spent a few years "in the belly of the beast" myself, for transporting weed. I worked kitchen, laundry, grounds maintenance, furniture factory, shipping/receiving, clerk/typist. I started at $0.11/hour and for a while made the top pay grade, $1.10/hour. In those days education was still available in "da joint," and in my spare time I was able to get my GED, AA, and BA. At least I was guilty! Everybody else in there was doing time for pleading guilty to something they didn't do. That's how the plea-bargain system works: plead guilty to something you didn't do, in exchange for dropping worse charges that you were accused of. Then the parole board expects you to show remorse for something you didn't do before they'll consider you for parole... The whole system is bananas.
My half brother went in for transporting sch II. Spent some serious time (like 5 on a 10 year sentence) in with serious people. After that he was out even though he kept his mouth shut no one would ever trust him again.
Reformed idk I think the opportunity was gone the doors were shut. He's a great guy love him and being around him but he was looking for a short cut that for most just doesn't exist.

What I will say is he came out seriously changed. He was a bright guy very personable, always with the joke and a jab in a friendly way, people loved him, he lit up a room when he walked in.
Now he's quiet, reserved, with any new people he ALWAYS keeps his mouth closed he tends stands away from people more often than not with his back against the wall.

My half brother went in for transporting sch II. Spent some serious time (like 5 on a 10 year sentence) in with serious people. After that he was out even though he kept his mouth shut no one would ever trust him again.
Reformed idk I think the opportunity was gone the doors were shut. He's a great guy love him and being around him but he was looking for a short cut that for most just doesn't exist.

What I will say is he came out seriously changed. He was a bright guy very personable, always with the joke and a jab in a friendly way, people loved him, he lit up a room when he walked in.
Now he's quiet, reserved, with any new people he ALWAYS keeps his mouth closed he tends stands away from people more often than not with his back against the wall.
Sounds lie a lot of Vets I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back