Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mossy , Flyday it is, land safely :pass:
P1110966_edited.jpeg

A week and a half ago I was ready to chop this girl down. But top dressed with some happy frog fruit and flower then just watered her and damn she aint pretty but she is definitely green again. Good feeling when you bring them back to life. Now to just LITFA.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Good morfnoevight All you happy Friday Live stoners!

8eg8.gif

Just a heads up...
Those 100 dollar ac infinity 6 inch carbon filters last for less than 2 AUTO grow cycles...Flipped the flange around to get more use out of the first one, but it made no difference... To be fair, they did send me a new one for free...that I just had to install because the previous one I had purchased lasted for 1.5 grow cycles.. A filter that was previously used for one grow in a dust free environment couldnt handle the smell of 2 plants in a 2x4... Probably wont be buying another one... vivosun is cheaper and longer lasting. Might see if I can refill these with new charcoal later on... :shrug:
Once I got past the initial chat clowns, the customer service was actually prompt and decent... Love the fans and controllers.... but pass on the filters for now.. Havent tried any of their other products.
Peace.
That is some pretty dang good customer service. I don't remember other reports on poor performance on their carbon filters? Do you use a pre filter? I use Ipower carbon filters and the prefilter gets washed every cycle. I usually get 2 years out of them. One time I ruined one when the RH went to nearly 90% for a full day. It never recovered even when it dried out. I think the granules got a coating on them that sealed them up?
Anyhow I will try to keep an eye out for other reports on their performance.

WHY haven't you been doing this all along.............?.................... :pass: .....because you were Taught that way.....

I Did it that way too....but when we were testing for Earliest Point a plant is Ready for meds I had to Test at various stages and what I found was....I Pefer Fresh Bud.

I Enjoy it more.

Same as other herbs I use in cooking...:chef:...I Prefer using Fresh.....and keep the dried stuff for when there is no fresh.......

Gotta have a cross that Will Kick from Dry......some don't....so I have been told...but mine do....for me.....:headbang:..

If you don't Test....and I mean During the grow too........:watering:....how do you Know you have harvested the girl in Peak Time...for You....?

You May be missing Your Primo harvest point by simply watching Trics.......

And....I'm not talking a full bud everytime you Test....just nip enough for a small joint each time......:pass:.....

There is this little kinda Snobbery with Stoner growers where they don't approve of Testing a plant until after the Cure...but I Call BOLLOCKS......:eyebrows:

Just sayin..........:smoking:.......View attachment 1561828
:yeahthat:It is the scientific method. I have to rely on smoke "Testers" because I don't do combustion and rosin is strong even on weaker plants. I don't harvest periodically but I do separate top buds from lower buds that are less mature. Sometimes the testers have liked the less mature better? You have to take into account they love all of my FREE weed. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I compared the price of replacing the carbon in my AC Infinity 4" carbon filter and it was more than a new ACInfinity filter, 49$ on amazon!

I repacked a 6" once and saved a couple of bucks but it was so messy and had to use an N95 breather that pushed the price even closer to a new one. I decided it was not worth the effort. I still hate recycling all of that perfectly good metal!

After talking with Suki the other night, I want to make a tincture. I put all my old bud in one 1lb bag and it's packed, so I have some to play with.

I understand the concept of a quick wash, but don't know the specifics. By the time I finish the squishing, the liquor store will be open to get the EverClear. I assume it's sorta like making RSO.
I'd rather have firsthand info from my AFN friends than some dork on YouTube.
Well it depends on how you want to use the end product? IMPE The best tasting tincture comes from Fresh frozen bud with everything frozen as cold as you can get it, including the tools, jars, strainers and bud. Handled as fast as you can with a 3 minute pure ethanol flush will yield the best possible flavor in the end product. If you have a vacuum system you will preserve even more of the terps as you dry off the ethanol. Because the pump must be rated explosion proof they cost more than I am willing to spend so cannot prove that the terps are better but science says so and I believe it. If I want to make carts out of the oil I winterize it and filter through a frozen buchner #2 filter. You have to work really fast because the oils/wax you are trying to remove become liquid again just above freezing. For an edible tincture I boil off most of the ethanol in a rice cooker set to low with a fan blowing over it outside. Ethanol gas is heavier than air and can pool and become explosive. True it is highly unlikely but could happen and I like my house. then when 50% or 60% of the ethanol has boiled off I turn off the rice cooker and just let it evaporate off at the ambient temperature. sometimes it takes a day or two to get down to the consistency of thin honey. I then place this in a sealed mason jar less than half full and I decarb it in an oil bath at 250° for 20 minutes. Burp the jar a couple of times so pressure dose not blow the jar. This is not a complete decarb because I want to leave some acid forms of the actives in a tincture. Decarb for 27 minutes for a THC high. Enjoy!

If you don't care about the taste just shake some decarbed bud with ethanol and evaporate it off. Tastes like burnt rubber to me but gets you high.

@wwwillie you can make beautifully flavored oils and butter by decarbing the filtered oil/butter after extraction in the MBM in a hot oil bath. Good olive oil makes awesome salad dressing. Decarbing the bud before extraction makes the crap you refer to. Do you have pictures of the final product after drying from your set-up?

That is some pretty dang good customer service. I don't remember other reports on poor performance on their carbon filters? Do you use a pre filter? I use Ipower carbon filters and the prefilter gets washed every cycle. I usually get 2 years out of them. One time I ruined one when the RH went to nearly 90% for a full day. It never recovered even when it dried out. I think the granules got a coating on them that sealed them up?
Anyhow I will try to keep an eye out for other reports on their performance.

ALL my carbon filters are AC infinity with the oldest being about 2 yrs old and still working ok.. Wife only says something about the smell when I have the girls out of the tents she can tell:gassy:... Otherwise smell is minimal:d5:

I just added a 6" AC infinity filter to an exhaust fan as a belt and suspenders approach to odor control. My tent has 2 4" filters and is in the closet with the exhaust fan pulling into the attic.

I noted how much more carbon was in it compared to the 4". Not only is the 6" a larger diameter, but it's 16" long compared to 12" for the 4" filter. Did the math and it was about 2.2 times as much carbon in the 6" as the 4".

All I'll say regarding the life expectancy is that the 4" filters lasted about 2 grows. The third grow really tested my wife's patience with the smell.

I just added a 6" AC infinity filter to an exhaust fan as a belt and suspenders approach to odor control. My tent has 2 4" filters and is in the closet with the exhaust fan pulling into the attic.

I noted how much more carbon was in it compared to the 4". Not only is the 6" a larger diameter, but it's 16" long compared to 12" for the 4" filter. Did the math and it was about 2.2 times as much carbon in the 6" as the 4".

All I'll say regarding the life expectancy is that the 4" filters lasted about 2 grows. The third grow really tested my wife's patience with the smell.

Is that the XL filter? I have (2) 6" filters one regular and one XL... I have the XL in the 4x4 and install a 4" come late flower for assistance when rh becomes a issue for maximum airflow... My 3x3 just runs my original 6" regular that has been running for about 2 years it didn't have a short break about 1 year ago when I got the XL.. My 4" filter bounces around between dry tent and 4x4 depending where it's needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back