Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word around town is that you can find the plates premade on eBay, also
There is a long list of them on Ebay.ca, prices range from ~$150 to $250 depending on size and controllers.

DIY plates would be a nuisance to make without a drill press, but other than that, there is nothing complicated about them. I think I got the aluminum for mine for about 20 bucks, and the heaters were $24. I had the PID controller already because I use it to control my DIY decarb/infusion/etc machine. I did mention my DIY obsession. :biggrin:

Speaking of, I've got brownie fixins for later, if I were to make some using my ABV would I be able to just run that through the food processor and toss it in the mix without making it into oil first? Or is that gonna be nasty af?
Gotta use so much abv you'll be picking weed out of your teeth forever. Never had a good experience with the abv/cannaflour route. Abv is already decarbed so I'd go with the quick oil way

Is their anything in your design you would change?
I could build one no problem. Being a electrician and able to weld a cast iron dick on a snowman. Have plenty of steel. :baked: :pass:
Actually, since you ask, no, it works like a hot damn. Well, perhaps one near trivial thing - the opening in the frame could be a half inch or so wider in case I had to replace the jack and the new one was weird and would not line up properly. I doubt that this would ever be a problem, but if I was starting another from scratch, I would build in a small contingency there. One other thing is that I support mine in a bench vise. If you want it to work free standing, you would need to add some sort of wider base to make it stable while pumping. You sure wouldn't want it to fall on your foot. You could go with an 8 ton jack, I think, but there is little difference in price, so I went for what is likely a bit of overkill. With the 3x5 plates, the press does an easy job of three pucks, I can't remember how many grams in each. I pre-compress the pucks in one of those puck makers.

If you are interested in my design, have a careful look at the photo, and if there is anything about the setup that doesn't make sense, let me know. For now I will point out one thing that isn't that obvious in the photo. The lower mobile plate is secured from rotating out of alignment with the top plate because the plate on top of the jack has ears that slide up and down between the twin side columns. If you look closely at the photo, you will see what I mean. Because of this function, you have to use twin columns on the sides, or use another means of locking the lower plate in alignment.

This little project probably saved me almost as much money as my DIY lights.

If you can weld cast iron, you are a better welder than I am. :worship:
12T press.JPG

Oh, and I forgot, @Cave Dirt Cody and @Daledenton84 the springs are from a trampoline, I found a pile of them a the garbage dump. You can buy them online in replacement sets of six. Two of them do a perfect job of opening the plates when the jack valve is opened.

Last edited:
Speaking of, I've got brownie fixins for later, if I were to make some using my ABV would I be able to just run that through the food processor and toss it in the mix without making it into oil first? Or is that gonna be nasty af?
You can make abv butter in 3 hours definitely and use it for frosting for the brownies. That'll save time since you can make the brownies and let them cool while the butter cooks and it only takes 10 mins after the butter is cooled to make the frosting. But honestly anything with abv kinda tastes like shit

You can make abv butter in 3 hours definitely and use it for frosting for the brownies. That'll save time since you can make the brownies and let them cool while the butter cooks and it only takes 10 mins after the butter is cooled to make the frosting. But honestly anything with abv kinda tastes like shit
Good description of the taste. There is no way I will be using that stuff as long as I grow my own. At $10/gram I might feel different. :biggrin::crying:

Actually, since you ask, no, it works like a hot damn. Well, perhaps one near trivial thing - the opening in the frame could be a half inch or so wider in case I had to replace the jack and the new one was weird and would not line up properly. I doubt that this would ever be a problem, but if I was starting another from scratch, I would build in a small contingency there. One other thing is that I support mine in a bench vise. If you want it to work free standing, you would need to add some sort of wider base to make it stable while pumping. You sure wouldn't want it to fall on your foot. You could go with an 8 ton jack, I think, but there is little difference in price, so I went for what is likely a bit of overkill. With the 3x5 plates, the press does an easy job of three pucks, I can't remember how many grams in each. I pre-compress the pucks in one of those puck makers.

If you are interested in my design, have a careful look at the photo, and if there is anything about the setup that doesn't make sense, let me know. For now I will point out one thing that isn't that obvious in the photo. The lower mobile plate is secured from rotating out of alignment with the top plate because the plate on top of the jack has ears that slide up and down between the twin side columns. If you look closely at the photo, you will see what I mean. Because of this function, you have to use twin columns on the sides, or use another means of locking the lower plate in alignment.

This little project probably saved me almost as much money as my DIY lights.

If you can weld cast iron, you are a better welder than I am. :worship:View attachment 1419703
I noticed the groove. Two pieces of 1” ID square tubing.1/4 lthick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back