Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morfnoevight All you happy hump day stoners!

I need to go pick up a bale of straw and some potting soil to build my potato tower. We love to grow potatoes and harvesting them when about the size of a quarter. We end up with very few large potatoes because the little ones are so yummy. OMG we have some goose fat to cook them in. It will be nirvana! We have some Clancy F1 seed germinating now and the Yukon Gold seed potatoes are chitting. I will plant the Clancy in the ground with regular trenches. The Yukons will be in the tower.

I live in the San Luis valley. Commercial potato cultivation is huge here. The sandy soil is perfect for em to get big.

and they can plant em below the frost line to combat the super cold

Yeah I know that is kinda the trade off. You don’t really get any fibrous roots due to the turbulence

the trade off in my opinion is the absolutely MASSIVE main roots. They end up being as big as a
Garden hose

from what I see the bigger main roots have a bigger impact on the nutrient pathway network.

Big main roots that connect to a large and well
Established root crown, Into a big thick stalk.

I think the fibrous roots play less of a role in dwc with max O2. That’s just observation and speculation at this point though

Another thing, is when it comes to flowering

Something @FullDuplex said that got my brain working

Why does Dwc typically take longer to flower vs soil.

he said it’s about root pressure and resistance

which makes sense,when in a soil pot they will generally flower once they root cap has enough pressure, resistance, or some combo of the two.

in dwc there is much less resistance. So my theory is that it take the big main roots to hit the lower parts of the reservoir, be it other roots or the res walls themselves, it will trigger the flowering mechanism.
In a perfect root zone you get both. It is not as easy to do as it is to say. The high fired ceramic Air-stones worked best for me. I think later flowering simply has to do with the forward momentum of the plant and the optimum nutrients. I have had some autos bloom with the scrawniest root system? The osmotic pressure on the roots is always higher in DWC than in soil.

Talk about huge difference here! No idea why just the main end bud on each branch did some weird reveg bullshit so their is tons of leafs in the wonky flower clusters but just below it you’d never know there were issues lurking just above! :yoinks:
269C7EE0-8B37-40DE-B641-D17673FBDEAA.jpeg
0CD2CA71-4C58-456A-A551-980B3EED3AFC.jpeg
C127A4DF-3632-4E57-BA77-C2F2354907C0.jpeg
133087BF-74EA-4EF2-914D-F1119F89788C.jpeg
7BD06C54-902F-4C4D-83BB-2F2C4D8000CD.jpeg
51E0AC1D-A609-4544-A0A9-78E0F32027FD.jpeg
4360A345-0A5B-4EDD-9473-2A180C14B6EF.jpeg

1EE06568-5088-4C0F-A4C8-1C31A24EFBEA.jpeg
E4837A60-BAEB-49A9-B5D7-BF5E4C5B7098.jpeg
1CEB1835-8E2D-47CC-83BE-818BFB2E8110.jpeg

I only used the knf regimen I learned in a class some of us took and didn’t go over amounts given plus the soil had already been run once but thinking it still had too much food in it cuz swapping to water only few feeds back sure stopped the problems! Guessing it was from excess something but def wasn’t N cuz that’s 1 I could spot!:shrug:

The high fired ceramic Air-stones worked best for me.
These work well for the first time but get clogged quickly on me after the first run, regardless of cleaning technique. In my experience, it's as much matter of distribution as anything. I use PVC "spacers" to keep 4 airstones spread apart - kinda a "field of bubbles" thing. I then adjust airflow to try and get that max but gentle bubble flow going. I try to balance turbulence with airflow. Using multiple pumps and airstones makes that easier to achieve. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

In a perfect root zone you get both. It is not as easy to do as it is to say. The high fired ceramic Air-stones worked best for me. I think later flowering simply has to do with the forward momentum of the plant and the optimum nutrients. I have had some autos bloom with the scrawniest root system? The osmotic pressure on the roots is always higher in DWC than in soil.
Yes which makes me lean more towards a resistance thing vs a pressure thing

One person postulated that it’s a natural response to them hitting the permafrost layer in the natural ecotome of the day neutral ruderalis.

Also I whole heartedly believe that stress can also induce flowering. If your plant is struggling for too long under too much stress it’ll kick it into survival mode and flower

Also keep in mind he is pumping about 7 liters per minute per gallon of reservoir water.

We are going to refine the air displacement next run. Basically I want the whole bottom of the res as the air stones

Basically I want the whole bottom of the res as the air stones
:woohoo:
You could distribute the air over the entire water column that way. I'm thinking a glass-bonded silica square about 1" x 10" x 12" or whatever the reservoir ID/footprint is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back