Both medical and adult-use cannabis legalization on South Dakota ballot for November

South Dakota could become the first state in the nation to simultaneously legalize medical and adult-use marijuana in November.

South Dakota also is the lone state in the country’s heartland where cannabis is on the ballot now that a Nebraska medical cannabis initiative has been scuttled.

The two measures in South Dakota represent progress for cannabis advocates versus 2018, when MMJ supporters weren’t able to collect enough signatures to get a legalization initiative on the ballot.

South Dakota is sparsely populated with only about 885,000 residents as of 2019.

It’s likely that support for the initiatives will be greatest in cities such as Sioux Falls and Rapid City as well as the state’s college towns, but “we believe a fair amount of rural people will vote for them too,” Samuelson said.

Montana Will Vote On Two Marijuana Legalization Measures In November

Montana’s secretary of state announced on Thursday that marijuana activists collected more than enough signatures to qualify two legalization measures for the November ballot.
One initiative, a statutory change, would create a system of legal cannabis access for adult-use. A separate constitutional amendment would ensure only those 21 and older can participate in the market.

If the statutory measure is approved by voters, possessing up to an ounce of cannabis would be allowed, and people could cultivate up to four plants and four seedlings at home.
The Montana Department of Revenue would be in charge of regulating the legal industry and would issue business licenses by January 1, 2022. Existing medical cannabis businesses would be first in line to enter the adult-use market.

There would be a 20 percent sales tax on recreational marijuana, while the tax on medical cannabis products would be reduced from two to one percent.

Adult-use marijuana legalization in New Jersey expected to ignite domino effect

Billions of dollars in business opportunities are riding on whether New Jersey residents legalize a recreational cannabis market in November.

A recreational marijuana industry in New Jersey itself – with a population of nearly 9 million people – would reach $850 million-$950 million in sales a year by 2024, according to a Marijuana Business Daily projection.

But that’s not all: Approval is expected to cause a domino effect along the Eastern Seaboard and inland, creating an adult-use marijuana region that is among the biggest in the world.

The population of four states that have been discussing adult-use legalization – New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Rhode Island – totals 37 million, more than quadruple the number of people who reside in New Jersey.

Already, a recreational marijuana industry has been established in Massachusetts, the 15th-most-populated state in the country. A smaller adult-use market in Maine is set to launch Oct. 9.

New Jersey “will be the final hurdle for New York, Pennsylvania and surrounding states,” predicted Scott Rudder, president of the New Jersey CannaBusiness Association.

“It’s going to motivate the surrounding states for sure,” agreed Bridget Hill-Zayat, a cannabis attorney with Hoban Law Group who is licensed to practice in Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

“A lot of medical marijuana customers will go over to New Jersey, and that’s a significant amount of revenue Pennsylvania is going to lose,” Hill-Zayat said.

Educational funding? LOL. We all saw what happened with the lottery money. Weed tax for school is an awful idea, they will implement the same scheme they did with lottery monies. One of the biggest lies told by states to their citizens was that lottery money would help fund schools...

Edit: let me clarify so there's no confusion..

State officials pushed lottery as being "ok" to the bible belts midwest and inner cities by claiming it would help fund schools. This was important because they had to sell the idea to different types of constituents. Bible belt and midwest said gambling was a sin - but if it funds schools they were ok with it. Inner cities were concerned about gambling addiction and how the poor statistically gambling more than the rich. Inner cities felt it could hit minorities hard and would keep them in poverty [pardon my non pc language, but that's how they talked about it in the 80s and 90s]. But inner city school funding has historically been TRASH and underfunded. This sold it.

How it actually works: let's say you luve in Illinois. The state will take money for schools and assign it an amount in the budget. Let's say your local district is due to receive 3m in state funding, Grants, etc. The lottery was suppose to MATCH that amount. So the school district should get 6m. What actually happens: budget is the law for governments. So if it was budgeted 3m that's all it can get....crazy right?[thank Jimmy Carter for base-line budgeting, ugh!] So what happens is the state, after it gives the district 3m then takes it away - to be replaced by 3m in lottery money. So ultimately the school gets 3m and that's it. What happens to the 3m the state gave via the budget? Hrm.....it goes to the general fund account primarily for roads, infrastructure etc. But what infrastructure? Look at flint Michigan. Those pricks were suppose to be fixing the water issue 10 years before it surfaced with upgrades. Same thing happened with Cincinnati sewers.

Bottom line, always remember that taxation is theft but you have the right to inquire about financial statements and hold these pricks responsible. Sorry for the rant. Love yall
In FL, Big Sugar, Ag and now Weed are more powerful than the cartels. They just do their dirty work behind closed doors.
Meanwhile the schools preach healthy foods yet have Pepsi and junk food machines in every hallway cause those companies fund their billion dollar football stadiums etc

I read about all these break-throughs daily/weekly in the us.. Canada.. and other places round the world.. with jealousy I have to confess.. and I wonder how/why/for how long the UK government can maintain their draconian stance on cannabis.. its soul-destroying.. alcohol has been slaying the UK for decades.. the cost of picking up the pieces on all fronts is gargantuan.. health services.. law and order.. social destruction.. but no one bats an eyelid.. tell them u want to grow a plant and u go to jail. Where did it all go wrong. Sad sad state of affairs. The possible revenue here for government is almost unfathomable.. but still they approach the situation like cavemen.. blindly following the idiot that came before.. if you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got. End of rant lol

I read about all these break-throughs daily/weekly in the us.. Canada.. and other places round the world.. with jealousy I have to confess.. and I wonder how/why/for how long the UK government can maintain their draconian stance on cannabis.. its soul-destroying.. alcohol has been slaying the UK for decades.. the cost of picking up the pieces on all fronts is gargantuan.. health services.. law and order.. social destruction.. but no one bats an eyelid.. tell them u want to grow a plant and u go to jail. Where did it all go wrong. Sad sad state of affairs. The possible revenue here for government is almost unfathomable.. but still they approach the situation like cavemen.. blindly following the idiot that came before.. if you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got. End of rant lol
Most of the governments suck worldwide. Most of us dislike our own in the US also. Your not the only one.

Most of the governments suck worldwide. Most of us dislike our own in the US also. Your not the only one.

Agree m8.. but most are still light years ahead of the UK when it comes to anything green!! The 'wise' governments have realised what a cash cow it is and are moving with it.

I live in Michigan where its legal in the state for 12 plants to grow of any stage. But it's still federally illegal. Once that changes I bet all states follow the many that are already legal for medical or recreational or both like here in Michigan it's now recreational and legal to walk around wit 2.5 ounces in your pocket and up to I believe 15 grams of concentrates

I live in Michigan where its legal in the state for 12 plants to grow of any stage. But it's still federally illegal. Once that changes I bet all states follow the many that are already legal for medical or recreational or both like here in Michigan it's now recreational and legal to walk around wit 2.5 ounces in your pocket and up to I believe 15 grams of concentrates

Heaven lol

LOL! 12 plants?
I'd have to buy a bunch more jars! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back