Another one down!!!!!
I think soon the dominoes will really start to fall over. There are certain states that just don't make sense that they haven't legalized it yet that have one or more states adjacent to them that have already legalized recreational weed.

Utah will be a hold out due to Mormon control, but they will be an island surrounded by legal states.
Can't believe Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin have not legalized yet. Basically liberal controlled states with adjacent states legal.

Once some South Eastern states start legalization the dam breaks.

Whatever happened with Senator Schumer promising federal legalization being brought up? Once the government removes it from Schedule 1?

If Florida and Texas make it legal then other Southern states would push legalization.

Three states I have lived in did so through citizens initiative to get it on the ballot for a vote. South Dakota, Michigan and Arizona. South Dakota government is trying to nuke it after the recent vote. Both Arizona and Michigan failed before finally getting it approved. Ohio voted on it previously and it failed before Michigan finally legalized it. I believe Ohio will legalize in the next two years if the federal government doesn't beforehand.

RI Senate approves recreational marijuana bill

by: Steph Machado, Shiina LoSciuto

Posted: Jun 22, 2021

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The Rhode Island Senate became the first chamber of the General Assembly to ever vote in favor of recreational marijuana on Tuesday, though the legislation still has a ways to go before potentially becoming law.

The vote was 29 to 9.

The historic vote came on the same day that Connecticut’s governor signed marijuana legalization into law, leaving Rhode Island sandwiched between two states that have legalized cannabis for recreational use.

House Speaker Joe Shekarchi has already said the House won’t consider cannabis legalization before the current session ends, but may consider it in a special session in the fall. The House Finance Committee removed Gov. Dan McKee’s recreational marijuana proposal from the budget bill that’s set to be voted on by the full House on Thursday.

The Senate-approved bill does not represent a final compromise with House leaders and McKee, both of whom have said they’re not in a rush to legalize.

McKee said Tuesday he opposes the provision of the Senate bill that would create an independent Cannabis Control Commission, similar to Massachusetts, to regulate the marijuana program.

“That’s probably the main thing that we have a disagreement on,” McKee told reporters. “I’m not in favor of adding additional costs to government.”

Gov. Edwards signs bill to allow smokable medical marijuana in Louisiana. Updated: 4:56 PM CDT Jun 22, 2021

Louisiana will now allow doctors to prescribe marijuana in its raw, smokable form to patients. Gov. John Bel Edwards signed a bill Tuesday that removed a crude cannabis ban from state law, which had limited medical forms to elixirs, gummies and inhalers.

Proponents in the legislature pointed to other states that have added smokable pot to their prescription offerings and argued Louisiana had to keep pace to stay competitive. State lawmakers were told patients reported better results from raw marijuana and more affordable prices.

The updated law limits prescriptions for raw marijuana to 2.5 ounces, or 71 grams per patient every two weeks per patient.

The 2021 session was a landmark one for marijuana proposals in Louisiana. In addition to the raw cannabis measure, legislators approved a bill that lessened the penalty for possession of small amounts of pot. The proposal, which Edwards has also signed into law, removed jail time as a punishment for being caught with 14 grams or less.

A bill to legalize recreational marijuana was approved in committee but did not advance from the House, amid opposition from sheriffs and district attorneys. Seeing the trend of more states decriminalizing pot, Louisiana lawmakers agreed instead to study the possibility of further softening its laws.

Louisiana Governor Signs Bill To Legalize Smokable Medical Marijuana

This is the second piece of marijuana reform legislation that Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) has signed this month. Last week, he gave the green light to a measure that decriminalizes possession of up to 14 grams of cannabis.

But while the governor has made clear his willingness to approve more modest reforms, he predicted he would not be the one to sign adult-use legalization into law before he leaves office in early 2024—even though he does expect the policy change to happen in his state at some point.

An effort in the legislature to pass a bill to legalize recreational cannabis stalled in the House this session after the chamber failed to pass a complementary measure on taxing adult-use marijuana. Edwards also said last month that he believes the reform “is going to happen in Louisiana eventually.”

Texas has one road block to moving forward. That's our Lt. Governor Dan Patrick. Don't like him that's not even his real name it's a stage name from his talk radio days.

He completely controls what makes it to Senate floor It's just how it works.here. He is anti cannabis.

Decriminalization comes up the every session with bi partisan support. It will pass our House but he won't let what he don't like make to the Senate Floor.

We even have a Republicans for.Cannabis caucus we just caneget much past the Lt Gov. Almost all the DA's in Texas stopped accepting small amount cannabis cases because once hemp became legal they couldn't tell the difference with the test equipment they have.

The most conservative member of US Supreme Court.......

‘Half-In, Half-Out’: Clarence Thomas Calls Out Marijuana Laws, Suggests They Might Not Be Constitutional

Associate Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas suggested in a Monday dissent that Congress should revisit the United States’ patchwork of marijuana laws or courts might strike them down.

“The federal government’s current approach is a half-in, half-out regime that simultaneously tolerates and forbids local use of marijuana,” Thomas wrote in his dissent from a denial of certiorari in the case Akimbo, LLC v. United States. Akimbo, LLC, a Colorado-based marijuana company, was attempting to prevent the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from investigating its tax deductions. The IRS claimed that the company violated laws preventing it from deducting business expenses associated with trafficking controlled substances, according to the law firm Bailey & Glasser LLP.

Marijuana is considered by federal law to be a Schedule I substance, meaning that it has no accepted medical use and is likely to be abused. The Controlled Substances Act of 1970, which created the scheduling system, also outlawed marijuana at the state and national levels.

The Obama administration announced in 2009, however, that states would be allowed to set their own medical marijuana laws without federal interference. 36 states allow the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, while 18 allow it for recreational use.

This conflict between state and federal law poses a problem for Thomas, however.

“This contradictory and unstable state of affairs strains basic principles of federalism and conceals traps for the un–wary,” he wrote. “In every fiscal year since 2015, Congress has prohibited the Department of Justice from ‘spending funds to prevent states’ implementation of their own medical marijuana laws.'”

“Legality under state law and the absence of federal criminal enforcement do not ensure equal treatment.”

“Petitioners have found that the Government’s willingness to often look the other way on marijuana is more episodic than coherent,” Thomas notes.

He suggests that the federal government “might no longer have authority to intrude on [t]he states’ core police powers… to define criminal law and to protect the health, safety, and welfare of their citizens,'” since it is no longer willing to enforce a blanket ban on marijuana use.

Yes really Justice Thomas is correct. The Feds are driving past the Grows and Dispensaries in legal States.

Yet actively seeking Folks to arrest and rob in the non- legal States.

Until the issue is resolved at the Federal level there's going to be problems. I'm surprised someone that has been charged at fhe Federal level hasn't already made that "unequal treatment" argument in Court.

Yes really Justice Thomas is correct. The Feds are driving past the Grows and Dispensaries in legal States.

Yet actively seeking Folks to arrest and rob in the non- legal States.

Until the issue is resolved at the Federal level there's going to be problems. I'm surprised someone that has been charged at fhe Federal level hasn't already made that "unequal treatment" argument in Court.
I retired after 20+ years in the DOJ in a state bordering Mexico. Illegal alien drug smugglers were never locked up unless they were caught with more than 240 pounds of weed under W. Bush. They raised that threshold to more than 500 pounds under Obama. I retired once Obama was elected so I don't know what the threshold for Mexican weed smugglers was under the Trump US Attorneys/federal Prosecutors.

I do know that under Bush 1, Clinton and W. that US citizens found to have minimal amounts in border regions were almost always charged with felonies and did prison time, sometimes when not even caught with actual marijuana at all. Just charged with BS conspiracy charges and intimidated to take a plea to avoid decades in federal prison.

Here is a case where I knew the two individuals convicted and sentenced to two decades in federal prison. Martin Sax was never found in possession of any marijuana. He was set up by an individual who was arrested by the DEA and became an informant.

A Case Manager who worked in the prison decided to go to law school, became a lawyer and got him released.

Georgia was still getting money from the DEA to do flyovers looking for patches in 2020.
"Evidence of an outdoor marijuana growth operation was first detected by a GTF helicopter conducting a routine flyover of the area Thursday. The sheriff’s office was contacted after GTF agents identified what they believed to be marijuana plants growing in the residence’s backyard. Drug Unit agents arrived at the site and established a probable cause for a search warrant, which was executed at 4:04 p.m...
Investigators uncovered an “extensive” marijuana growth operation with a total of 21 plants located both indoors and outdoors, said Chris Luckey, Drug Unit commander."

They were some good looking plants, what a shame.
I imagine they will get that DEA money this year as well.

Georgia was still getting money from the DEA to do flyovers looking for patches in 2020.
"Evidence of an outdoor marijuana growth operation was first detected by a GTF helicopter conducting a routine flyover of the area Thursday. The sheriff’s office was contacted after GTF agents identified what they believed to be marijuana plants growing in the residence’s backyard. Drug Unit agents arrived at the site and established a probable cause for a search warrant, which was executed at 4:04 p.m...
Investigators uncovered an “extensive” marijuana growth operation with a total of 21 plants located both indoors and outdoors, said Chris Luckey, Drug Unit commander."

They were some good looking plants, what a shame.
I imagine they will get that DEA money this year as well.
What a bullshit fluff piece! When LE or a DA exaggerates the facts, it spins me up to no end.
Investigators say the room’s sole purpose was to manufacture marijuana.
"“It was very extensive,” Luckey said.
"

DPO-49.jpg

I'm gonna go to my second bedroom and manufacture me sum MaryWanna!:rolleyes1:

Back