as soon as corporations that are in bed with government figure out how to make more money off of cannabis, it will be fully legal.

Reactions: Mir
Discussion here often includes consideration of 'Who will be making big money here?" But there is another economic aspect with whatever 'legalization' happens -- some may have to pay, and some may take losses.

Once legal, prescription/medical use will rapidly come to be covered by insurance, with FDA-approved cannabis products sold through pharmacies (no place for current medical dispensaries with legalization). Good for some or many, they may get true pharmaceutical-grade cannabis free or pay a co-pay fee. But with the high costs for the products and its likely rate of prescriptions, legalization could affect the finances of heath plans, self-insured companies, governments, un- and under-insured who will have to pay high costs themselves, etc.; and rates for everyone could be pushed up. Just pointing out that top-level economic impacts inevitably include some negative economic impacts along the way.

But of course. Would you legalize it for recreational use it’s no longer medicine. Of course we know that in many cases likely a significant majority, it was never medicine.
They'll ask California how they made taxing medical possible when they legalized rec. Before rec, tax exempt. After... bend over.

Now if you want to see a completely different government screwup, we have Oregon and Colorado where they not only let everyone grow the stuff but also sell it to the state?. Anyone remember the price crash a couple years back when Oregon had an excess 1,000,000 pounds of bud? I wasn’t crying at that point but from what I read it impacted the black bargain prices all the way to the East Coast. But if you could walk into a Colorado dispensary and buy an ounce of their less popular bud for $80 and take it back home and sell it for at least $200 and it’s still a bargain, then what’s that gonna do to the market?

Last edited:
Discussion here often includes consideration of 'Who will be making big money here?" But there is another economic aspect with whatever 'legalization' happens -- some may have to pay, and some may take losses.

Once legal, prescription/medical use will rapidly come to be covered by insurance, with FDA-approved cannabis products sold through pharmacies (no place for current medical dispensaries with legalization). Good for some or many, they may get true pharmaceutical-grade cannabis free or pay a co-pay fee. But with the high costs for the products and its likely rate of prescriptions, legalization could affect the finances of heath plans, self-insured companies, governments, un- and under-insured who will have to pay high costs themselves, etc.; and rates for everyone could be pushed up. Just pointing out that top-level economic impacts inevitably include some negative economic impacts along the way.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?
"some may have to pay, and some may take losses. "

Yes thats called life? Whats the point?

Last edited:
Huh? What does that have to do with anything?
"some may have to pay, and some may take losses. "

Yes thats called life? Whats the point?
You just confirmed my point. With any economic/societal changes, there are winners and and losers. That's just life, how it is. And I was noting that the economic losing aspect of legalization was seemingly not being considered along with all the talk about who's going to grab the business and profits.

You just confirmed my point. With any economic/societal changes, there are winners and and losers. That's just life, how it is. And I was noting that the economic losing aspect of legalization was seemingly not being considered along with all the talk about who's going to grab the business and profits.
Hmmm ..odd
I thought that point was conveyed. Maybe im missing something :yay:
Fair enough. :biggrin:

Lots to be considered. Federal, state, county and some cases city governments all have a say in how they allow us to live our lives.
If the Fed gives it up and takes it off the scedule making it just a weed growing in the dirt again, the some some states will go with the idea of good, less money wasted on arresting pot smokers others will say great, more tax money for us.then the counties and cities will have the same choice. it'll be a continuous fight against all government entities to get it where we want it and to keep it there.

Are you sure? To me decriminalized releases the plant to the people. Legalization to me means government control of the plant. The reason it is legalized is so they can make the $$$$. Can you picture Phillip Morris pot and still illegal to grow a plant in your backyard. ‍♂Don’t know...
I've read articles before that tobacco companies, alcohol companies, etc are already involved in corporate weed. In Michigan, a citizen's initiative led to the ballot vote legalizing weed. Corporate weed companies attempted to insert on the ballot an initiative outlawing home growing. The right initiative made it on the ballot and became the law.

Then politicians tried to intervene and remove the home growing part of the law before the day it went into effect, that attempt failed due to state constitution which requires a supermajority to overcome a citizen's initiative that becomes law.

I believe the state legislature then made changes to the laws on how a citizen's initiative gets on the ballot to limit the ability of citizens to enact laws the legislature opposes.

Last edited:
Salutations,

Governements are made of politicians who's legal power is actually some mix of legacies rooted between 2 socio-toxic wars, more exactly in the League of Nations (1925-Feb-19) Geneva Opium Convention where BOTH "Indian Hemp" AND "Cannabis sativa L." are specifically targetted.

Apparently, at the time USA didn't sign it because of internal isolationist tensions; consequently most of the active support got delayed until a 1946 (December 11) amendment at Lake Success (NY/USA):

Never heard of 1946 as of a corner stone?? Me neither... :doh:

Nonetheless, the prospect of USA's democratic sovereignty being subjected to an international non-elected body (taking over its authority) sure sounds like some fair explanation as to its actual/noticeable absence from such historical document:

Well, other important dates were 1931 and 1936 as i recall, not to mention the famous Harry J. Anslinger (1892–1975) becoming commissioner at the "U.S. Bureau of Narcotics" in 1930...

:face:

Anyway, failure of USA to support an international cannabis ban in the Commonwealth countries was nothing close to an opposition against that: just an expression of american priorities, which is also why the matter did return on top of the politicians international to-do list: In The Name Of Children...

In today's "Légaleezation" context one main reason behind insisting over the 3 conventions (and Nixon...) as the origin of prohibition simply boils down to a convenient abstraction for our common enemy, supposed to erase its true less-than-noble origins and that's going back to the Victorian age instead of mankind's 1st steps on the moon.

:2cents:

Same cheat about recently increased attacks agains electronic cigarettes which people depend on for a healthwise alternative to chronic self-poisoning by combustion, this time from behind closed doors during the FCTC/COP6 UN/WHO event held in Moscow/Russia on October 2014, quite obviously to ensure zero journalists/observers are ever admitted:

Report of the sixth session of the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control

And no, none of "us" had an official invitation neither. Yet it's extra-sovereign operations as these which still allow bigot prohibitionists to organize, even anonymously, similar to a religious sect...

:worship:

One brick after the next nearly insurmountable walls have raised since the mid 1800s, as in a labyrinth populated by ghosts although all it takes is a politician to cut their ombilical cords, which in essence is to remove cannabis from "the schedule" - while at most this should be a matter of Public Health and never one of para-military "law-enforcement" warriors!

But lets admire the THC/CBD paradox in the meantime... Mid-December 2017 a joint UN/WHO declaration was issued which felt as if maybe CBD cannabis might sell at my local grocery store plus a few other business places for Christmass, including smoker substitutes (as CBD e-Cigs), and/or certified CBD health/drugstore products, etc. Yet this many years later we continue to tolerate obvious non-sensical/political delaying, with "novel" (frankenstein) concepts ready for CBD supplements & edibles.

Briefly put, fuck "science" and what it's good for! ... In addition keep in mind many UN member countries continue to promote the death penalty for "drug offenses", leading to barbaric stratagems as when Chineese elites favourable to Meng Wanzhou/Huawei instrumentalized "the law" by finally killing at least 5 persons (Fan Wei, Lu Hanchang, Robert Schellenberg, Ye Jianhui, Xu Weihong) in a continuous attempt to shame/intimidate Justin Trudeau (and his sense of constitutional boundaries...) over dope on the public scene, with political hostages Kovrig and Spavor as convenient decoys. Etc., etc.

In other words sooner or later "the cord" must be cut to stop a most unfair game where OUR troups prove being handicaped by internal divisions even over the basics. Happy "4-20"!

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Last edited:
Back