LED driver cooling

Cannaficionado

Novice
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I havent got my set up complete yet but when I was testing out my light I did notice that the board got warm pretty much right away. Not hot hot, but I am thinking that it might trip the drivers over temp sensor and cause my light to shut off.

Does anyone add their own cooling fans to their drivers? I saw these pretty nice 2 inch fans from ac infinity that you can attach to basically anything for added airflow for cooling. I was thinking about putting 2 2inch usb fans on it to help with airflow around the light itself. The ones attached are rated at 26cfm and can be attached with thermal paste and have a control module to kick in at a certain temp!

I mean it couldnt hurt anything right?
Screenshot_20220727-124751_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
It can't hurt! It will prolong the life of the light by reducing heat on it. i don't cool the one i have detached from the led and inside a closet nearby but the ones inside my tents i have a fan hitting them with airflow.

It can't hurt! It will prolong the life of the light by reducing heat on it. i don't cool the one i have detached from the led and inside a closet nearby but the ones inside my tents i have a fan hitting them with airflow.
I will have a oscillating clip on in the tent and i have an oversized ventilation system for my 3x3 tent, 4" was recommended and came in the kit, but I decided to upgrade everything in the kit. Instead of the 240w light i got their 400w. 6" inline fan and filter. Im sure the airflow will be sufficien, id just rather be safe than waste seeds at $10 a pop lmao

I use a 6" fan blowing across the board and driver from above when I used quantum board led's like yours. Just a little airflow keeps the board and driver well below any cutoff. The cooler you keep the board and thusly the led's, the more efficient it will run and the longer the light will last.

I use a 6" fan blowing across the board and driver from above when I used quantum board led's like yours. Just a little airflow keeps the board and driver well below any cutoff. The cooler you keep the board and thusly the led's, the more efficient it will run and the longer the light will last.
Maybe instead of the usb fans I will just get anothe clip on dedicated to the lights. I just figured the fans could pull the heat off and straight up to the output vent. But that will only be running when the temp and humidity thresholds get hit. Unless I run into problems having it run a program.

Maybe instead of the usb fans I will just get anothe clip on dedicated to the lights. I just figured the fans could pull the heat off and straight up to the output vent. But that will only be running when the temp and humidity thresholds get hit. Unless I run into problems having it run a program.
you can get a infrared thermometer and see if it is hot or not, put a fan on it and test the temp again.
Amazon product

The way they design led lights now i think they test for passive cooling without fans but adding fans just helps our peace of mind and it really does increase the lifespan of the light.

you can get a infrared thermometer and see if it is hot or not, put a fan on it and test the temp again.
Amazon product

The way they design led lights now i think they test for passive cooling without fans but adding fans just helps our peace of mind and it really does increase the lifespan of the light.

Ive got an infrared thermometer around my apartment somewhere. I just have to wait till i move to my new place and see how it performs in tent. Probably will leave it run a whole day 18 hours, and check it every few hours and see how it goes.

You'll be fine as long as your exhaust fan is above the light. It'll suck the hot air out and pull the cooler air up. Or there's a lot of drivers now that you can just put on top of a board or piece of insulation on top of the tent to keep the temps down in the summer

You'll be fine as long as your exhaust fan is above the light. It'll suck the hot air out and pull the cooler air up. Or there's a lot of drivers now that you can just put on top of a board or piece of insulation on top of the tent to keep the temps down in the summer
I know nothing about drivers not attached directly to the board itself...can you remove the driver if its installed directly to the board?

Reactions: JP1
I will have a oscillating clip on in the tent and i have an oversized ventilation system for my 3x3 tent, 4" was recommended and came in the kit, but I decided to upgrade everything in the kit. Instead of the 240w light i got their 400w. 6" inline fan and filter. Im sure the airflow will be sufficien, id just rather be safe than waste seeds at $10 a pop lmao
What kinda light do you got?

Back