.... you mean Phat Daddy Dubbs! :pimp: :crying: View attachment 1200296 :rofl:

Driving a pink convertible Cadillac?
:pimp::pimp::pimp:
Roger that on the coco luv, I wasn't sure you had been put through the coco-ringer yet... :deadhorse: ... it is a great choice for your conditions! And you are doing the best you can do beating the proper CEC back into it... :thumbsup: ...I like my soil too much to bugger with it!
With the low pH water (wow, rain water at that pH, lots of CO2 interaction there), even as a weak (chemical state) of acidity, the dolomite is a smart choice for longer term buffering of both pH and CEC... If it's working, no symptoms, then stay the course!
I'm not quite sure about the kelp's amino content being enough, or the right type(s) of amino's, a good thing to research a bit! Humic-fulvic is the better choice for all else it does for mediums besides chelation. Humic is less soluble so it'll stick around to do good works where fulvic may be washed away faster... I figure sourcing my be difficult? If you can find a dry version, you're golden; usually very concentrated so a little goes a long way....

Yeah, been playing with the coco for ... a couple of years and maybe ... 4-5 grows now, getting the hang of it.
It is a good choice for these heavy rains -- the coco holds the water, but the excess just quickly drains away, not drowning the roots.

I do about 40% coco and 40% quality soil, plus vermiculture and other goodies.
It's nice balance, no way I can do anything more than ... 50% coco, because I can't fertigate them.

Reading this about kelp:

growth stimulant because of rich concentrations of trace minerals (over 60), amino acids, vitamins, and growth hormones, including cytokinins, auxins and gibberellins

Didn't know it have those growth hormones! Glad I've had a big bag of it.

I have just searched again for both humic and fulvic, and can get some, not too expensive either.
I think they're all liquids.

I'm a lazy gardener, so want max results from minimum work.
Present situation is okay, it works, but maybe time to experiment with something new, see how it fits in with my overall methods.

Thanks for stopping by, @Waira !

I'll repot them up to the 7L soon, which will also get them closer to the lights.
Thinking I may top these ones and leave inside for a little bit longer before going out.
Finding a good time to plant out is not so easy.

Not just people, I am literally in the city, a city with several million people...

I think for a big outdoor vege garden, a large brick of coco worked in could be helpful.
Where I buy, online, I look out for two things: the EC and the pH, of the coco.
The low EC indicates that at least it's been rinsed well, but doesn't necessarily mean it's been buffered for ++.

Probably come from Sri Lanka or Phillipines, but in Aus... Queensland? Maybe, but doubt it.
That's good SM, finding the right time with good weather, which is not far off since is more summer and drier for you? less risk of floods or heavy rain. I will have to top sooner next time lol, i did when the plants were 50cm or so tall. I thought that also ive added soil and other nutrients to the soil, the benefit of the coco in the soil will aid in drainage . I dont know about EC but have heard of EC vales. The Ph maybe less issue in soil maybe, not that i know, just a guess lol.

I agree with you on that, Skr lanka or the Phillipines. If could be an industry in northern Queensland with its tropical climate. I buy Australian perlite as bunnings is overseas.

Your city sounds pretty large, the Gold Coast these days must be over 500000, maybe getting close to 1million

That's good SM, finding the right time with good weather, which is not far off since is more summer and drier for you? less risk of floods or heavy rain. I will have to top sooner next time lol, i did when the plants were 50cm or so tall. I thought that also ive added soil and other nutrients to the soil, the benefit of the coco in the soil will aid in drainage . I dont know about EC but have heard of EC vales. The Ph maybe less issue in soil maybe, not that i know, just a guess lol.

I agree with you on that, Skr lanka or the Phillipines. If could be an industry in northern Queensland with its tropical climate. I buy Australian perlite as bunnings is overseas.

Your city sounds pretty large, the Gold Coast these days must be over 500000, maybe getting close to 1million

My first autos I did not top at all for a few seasons, heard that topping autos was bad.

Then I did some tiny indoor grows in small pots, and topped most of them too.
The small pots plus topping meant very small plants in the end.
So then I went back to not topping for outside plants.

But I think that these LBH plants, with more sativa heritage, do okay with topping, provided soil volume is okay.
I figure topping before signs of flowers is best, but different strains respond differently.
Some people think that plants that don't branch much should be topped to encourage branching.
But I find if they don't branch much, it takes them ages to respond after topping -- reverse result!

EC is another measure similar to ppm (parts per million) of dissolved solids.
There are a couple of scales, but I think the most common one is 500 ppm <=> 1.0 EC, 1000 ppm <=> 2.0 EC, etc.
This coco of mine is EC < 0.6, so less than 300 ppm, is pretty low (compared to the other brands I can get).
pH is 6.0. Which is about right.

Queensland must be great climate for growing in general.
Just so long as those crazy floods don't hit ya!

My first autos I did not top at all for a few seasons, heard that topping autos was bad.

Then I did some tiny indoor grows in small pots, and topped most of them too.
The small pots plus topping meant very small plants in the end.
So then I went back to not topping for outside plants.

But I think that these LBH plants, with more sativa heritage, do okay with topping, provided soil volume is okay.
I figure topping before signs of flowers is best, but different strains respond differently.
Some people think that plants that don't branch much should be topped to encourage branching.
But I find if they don't branch much, it takes them ages to respond after topping -- reverse result!

EC is another measure similar to ppm (parts per million) of dissolved solids.
There are a couple of scales, but I think the most common one is 500 ppm <=> 1.0 EC, 1000 ppm <=> 2.0 EC, etc.
This coco of mine is EC < 0.6, so less than 300 ppm, is pretty low (compared to the other brands I can get).
pH is 6.0. Which is about right.

Queensland must be great climate for growing in general.
Just so long as those crazy floods don't hit ya!
Hi SM, i am the same i cringed at the thought of even transplanting autos but i have done few with this grow and no ill effect on the growth. Topping that is way more stressful maybe, but LBH is sativa heritage so yes maybe topping is needed to keep down for space. I have a few autos without many branches, the topping for sure would set them back a day or more. I would only try it on bag seed, i got a few lots of bag seed.

Thanks for explaing EC, and the soil i use is ph balanced i believe 5.5 - 6.2 range. So some coco comes EC balanced to a certain value.

Floods and droughts about what i see as the major problems here, though the creek would never reach the house, even if it rained 40 days 40 nights lol. Northern Queensland they could grow all the time, down here in South Eastern Queensland we are subtropical so i can keep them under at night they will be fine , Big Bud her leaves and buds are a bit purple from the 4c morning. She looks really nice though. Days are low 20s and high teens on the coldest days

LBH Selection -- Round 3 -- Day 40 (Day 9 of Flower)

This girl out in the wilds is looking good, putting on her stretch as she hits flowering.
Topped, she's still up to about 80 cm = 32" tall.
Two main tops, and two smaller lowers (after two branches down low broke off).

20200609 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (1).jpg

She kind of looks like two tall skinny plants from a distance.

Each of those main tops:
20200609 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (2).jpg

And:
20200609 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (3).jpg

You can see the apical tips getting busy with the growth.

Some closer shots showing the structure of the two tops:
20200609 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (4).jpg

And:
20200609 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (5).jpg

Since flowering started, can see that stronger branching started.
The top 15cm = 6" of these two tops are now staggered in their branching, with strong growth.
Below that, not much leaf or branching at all, almost like lollipopping at the 12/12 switch!
Look like maybe 2.5cm = 1" or slightly less growth per day on average.

The leaves still show the sativa-dominant narrow shape, max of 7 leaflets.
Should still have another 1-3 weeks of stretch, I guess.
So these two main tops could get quite long, maybe another 30cm = 12".

But, the top leaves are fairly light in color.
They look better than a week ago, but still not ideal.
Thinking about whether to add more top dressing, or just give them a bit longer for the first one to work in.

Love and hugs,
~MJS
:love:

She blends in perfectly with the surrounding foliage, that is about as stealthy as it gets :worship:

She sure does, doesn't she!!

Someone would have to walk right on over, look in and know what they're looking for, to see her.
As of now, those grasses and weeds around her are about 2 to 3 feet high.
So her own tops are just kind of at the same height as they are.
The pot is simply out of sight, like you can't even see it in that photo from directly above her!
It means she gets the light, but doesn't stand out.
And her pot catches the rain, but doesn't get too dried out when no rain and high heat.

Now I've just got to hold this ship steady for the next maybe 2 months.
Keep wishing me good luck here AFN crew!

Have re-potted the Round 4 plants into 7L = 2gal cloth pots, with my usual organic mix.
Added a little bit more worm castings (pellet form) this time. This stuff is black gold!
The taller plant and slightly mutant are in one pot together, the not quite so tall plant by itself.

Root growth on both pots was very nice!
Roots hitting the bottom already, but mainly seen on the sides half way down.
Unlike my earlier rounds, starting in maybe 0.3 L pots until 11 days, these had more root space from the start.

Then I topped the two larger plants, after the 4th node.
Same as what I did with my presently flowering Strain 2 girl from Round 3.
Seeing what happened to the big Strain 1 lady that had her main cola ripped, I think they will respond very well.

The tiny little semi-mutant plant has almost recovered, leaves looking quite normal now.
Then I noticed -- this tiny little plant already showing a couple of pistils, at the 4th node!
She may have her sunlight blocked by her larger pot-mate, but otherwise may very super fast.
Same as Round 1, the two Strain 1 girls together, the shorter was extremely fast, but quite short.

Now have to find out how to get them safely outside an into their new sites...

hey SM :pass: They are looking good, and nice to hear they have put on some height, and they have some protection with the long grasses, they do blend pretty well into their surrounds. Nice you have worked out to get them out safely for a bit of sun? The indoor girls. I dont really use the chemical ferts either if i can avoid them. The downside of organic is its not immediate, but i feel it gives a better smoke at the end. I love the long sativa like leaves. Maybe it was some animal that took off the main cola from the Big Strain 1 girl, or the wind. Lol i had a taste of what you experienced the poor girls stayed in their home all day due to constant heavy showers rolling in from the coast, only briefly i let the nimbins and photos have some rain as well as fish and kelp before going back

LBH Selection -- Round 4

The taller topped Strain 1 plant with the smaller early Strain 1 female, together in one pot, are now out on site.
Had a clear window of time to put that pot out there.
It's in the same general area as the Round 3 lady in flower.
But about ... 40 m away, and not easy to find.
Similar kind of location, surrounded by weeds and grasses, slightly less tall grasses than Round 3.
To be honest, I think that the smaller plant will not make it.
Either light blocked by the grasses, or by her taller sister (I hope!)

The other single taller topped Strain 1 plant is still in her (I hope!) pot under the lights.
May be there for another day, or two, or ... however long it takes until I have a clear window to put her (I hope!) outside.

Did a distance glance at Rnd 3 lady as I put this pot outside.
Looking good, strong branches, praying in the slightly cloudy sunshine.

Back