LBH Selection -- Round 4 -- Day 4 (??)

Here are the last of the beans, the last four Strain 1, which has been the most successful to date (from Rnd 1).

I soaked them in RO water + a dash of H2O2 for maybe 24-36 hrs.
Then they went into coco seed starter pellets (like Jiffy or Rapid Rooter, but different brand).
After a couple of days, they started to pop out, no helmet head, so I think I've got the depth thing sorted out.

Then they went into these pots, with a little bit of extra mycco in the holes.

20200529 LBH Selections Rnd 4 (1).jpg

20200529 LBH Selections Rnd 4 (2).jpg

Those 1L pots look like pure coco, but that's just the surface layer.
They are about 40% coco, 40% seedling soil, 15% worm castings, plus a bit of perlite, kelp meal, mycco, etc.
I keep the very top layer almost straight coco, because I find it better to keep it a little drier and it helps with water penetration.
I'm making these little starter pots a bit lighter than I have previously.

Because after about 11-14 days, I'll transplant them into either 6L or 8L fabric pots for outside.
The fabric pots will use a heavier mix, maybe same ratio of coco : soil, but more worm castings and organic nutrients.

Meanwhile...

LBH Selection -- Round 3 -- Day 29

Haven't visited and been able to top-dress with some fine dolomite lime to deal with the high pH rain water.
Rainfall has been... high, shall we say.
They'll had over 350 mm = 14" of rain in the last 18 days since they went outside.
Waiting for a break in the weather to get that dolomite lime onto them...

I don't have that option, really.
I've always done a fairly good job of keeping the number of people who know to the barest minimum.
And potentially putting others at risk is not my game.
Here is not like Aus, where if they intercept an order they'll destroy it, and maybe notify, but that's about it.
Here... they go straight to a personal call in.
Yes SM , i understand SM, my aunty and uncle dont know, so AS much as i am dying to grow in the ground i cant as they like to visit so the plants go into the spare room with lights. I havent told old friends or any family other than the immediate family, friends who share the love of weed know, and then you cant say much , just in case of theft or cops at your door. I think with the covid, things might be easier to get through, your country is pretty touch on mail interecepts.

Love your idea with the coir on top, to keep it moist. H202 interesing, i was wondering if dropping the seed in water with a tiny bit of myc fungi. Very heatlhy seedlings there and i like your mix

Yes SM , i understand SM, my aunty and uncle dont know, so AS much as i am dying to grow in the ground i cant as they like to visit so the plants go into the spare room with lights. I havent told old friends or any family other than the immediate family, friends who share the love of weed know, and then you cant say much , just in case of theft or cops at your door. I think with the covid, things might be easier to get through, your country is pretty touch on mail interecepts.

First rule of Grow Club.... :yeah:

Good for you.
Stay safe.

Not now, but a long time back, when I had a good regular indoor harvest,
and more than enough premium herb, even a lot of smoker friends didn't know.
Many just thought I had good contacts, mainly because of my home town, haha!
I just let them keep on thinking that....

Love your idea with the coir on top, to keep it moist. H202 interesing, i was wondering if dropping the seed in water with a tiny bit of myc fungi. Very heatlhy seedlings there and i like your mix

Actually, the coco keeps it drier for me.
It's very humid here, and moisture on the top layer is not good for seedlings -- damping off!!!

I've almost always done a quick soak before planting.
Used to do it with a big jar and handful of seeds, all kept in the hot water closet for good temps.
That was where it was much cooler, here, regular inside temps are just right most of the time.
I started adding H2O2 because there are a lot of mold/algae spores here, due to the temps and humidity.
Just a way to keep things cleaner. Just a squirt of H2O2 into a shot class with the beans.

Now, I don't soak too long. Maybe 24 to 36 hours.
I used to wait until they cracked and a radical shows, but not now, it's too long in water.

I have thought about mycco in the water, also for my DWC lettuces, but not sure if it would work without something for them to feed on.

This mix is something I've been experimenting with for a long time.
Soil is great, easy and good for beginners or lazy people.
But the texture of the coco is awesome, better drainage for lots of water.
And lately I've been enjoying the worm castings, here I get them as pellets.
Hard to use too much of them, and all plants just love them!

So I make different mixes from the same basic elements, for different things.
All using what is locally available.
I don't have the option of all the latest famous canna-grow brand names, blah blah blah.
For ex., lighter for the seedlings, heavier for the bigger plants,
more drainage for outside during rainy season, etc.

First rule of Grow Club.... :yeah:

Good for you.
Stay safe.

Not now, but a long time back, when I had a good regular indoor harvest,
and more than enough premium herb, even a lot of smoker friends didn't know.
Many just thought I had good contacts, mainly because of my home town, haha!
I just let them keep on thinking that....

Actually, the coco keeps it drier for me.
It's very humid here, and moisture on the top layer is not good for seedlings -- damping off!!!

I've almost always done a quick soak before planting.
Used to do it with a big jar and handful of seeds, all kept in the hot water closet for good temps.
That was where it was much cooler, here, regular inside temps are just right most of the time.
I started adding H2O2 because there are a lot of mold/algae spores here, due to the temps and humidity.
Just a way to keep things cleaner. Just a squirt of H2O2 into a shot class with the beans.

Now, I don't soak too long. Maybe 24 to 36 hours.
I used to wait until they cracked and a radical shows, but not now, it's too long in water.

I have thought about mycco in the water, also for my DWC lettuces, but not sure if it would work without something for them to feed on.

This mix is something I've been experimenting with for a long time.
Soil is great, easy and good for beginners or lazy people.
But the texture of the coco is awesome, better drainage for lots of water.
And lately I've been enjoying the worm castings, here I get them as pellets.
Hard to use too much of them, and all plants just love them!

So I make different mixes from the same basic elements, for different things.
All using what is locally available.
I don't have the option of all the latest famous canna-grow brand names, blah blah blah.
For ex., lighter for the seedlings, heavier for the bigger plants,
more drainage for outside during rainy season, etc.
Hiya SM, true first grow dont tell anyone i remember, love to tell some mates but I cant, Haha that is cool even smoker mates were not told. Its good to be careful though, sometimes my brothers worry i could be posting revealing pictures, but I try to keep them without showing much.

Oh geeze, when i had the box very humid that wold not be good for the seedlings, and now its pretty dry the air around 40 60 percent. Its a drier time than summer here now.

Thats a good idea the h202 , could do that in summers here when its more humid. I wear gloves when handling the seeds and same when getting the soil ready. I also soak seeds before going into the soil, with slightly warm water around 22c-24c. I do it over night and drop seeds before bed and plant them once they drop when i tap them in the wood stick i use to plant them with.

True the fungi need roots not a seed, that makes sense. We got a worm farm but its all one level , so maybe get something i can get the castings from. I also get local soil, this time the slow release stuff not my fav, the Nimbins were in oragnic potitng mix and fed all organic. To save this time on bottle nutrients i am trying the P ( bat guauna - 50/5- fast/slow) and K (post ash organic also) along with other stuff i can get for them like gogo juice

I wanted to try a coco grow, i may yet do that. Hope the weather fines up, that a hella lot of rain you had recently. Its starting to get dry again here.

:( poor creek, has dropped a bit below the dam wall but still seeps out from under the dam wall
creekathome.jpg

LBH Selection -- Round 3 -- Day 32

So much rain since they've been outside, definitely over 400 mm = 16" these 3 weeks.
I really needed to get out to them for a top dressing, and to deal with the rainwater pH around 5.3 problem.
But because it was raining so hard, difficult to get out to them.
Until today.

20200601 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (1).jpg

20200601 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (2).jpg

20200601 LBH Selection Rnd 3 (3).jpg

They have lost a few lower leaves, as you can see.
Still four main branches, two uppers slightly larger, but other two also good.
The tops are still fairly green.
I think it's just the heavy rain = soil leaching,
plus rain means clouds, so not that much good sunshine,
and the pH of the rain water, at around 5.3 is too low.

Usually I would top dress after four weeks, and since they'll only been in this pots since day 11,
they've only been in that good soil for 19 days, not even three weeks.
So good top dress was what was needed.
It's a good tablespoon of fine dolomite limes = Calcium and Magnesium, like 30% and 10% or something like that.
That should help with the pH and provide Ca Mg of course.
Plus some more worm castings, chicken fert and other organic fert, mainly around the 2-4-4 mark.
I know they could still do with more N, as they will just started stretch now,
but I want to visit them less often, so just more high PK for now.
There is still some N in there, and I don't think they are lacking N.
The rain should start to ease a bit now it's June,
but there will still be some heavy down pours,
and the risk of typhoons slowly grows as summer progresses...

In that last photo, yes, finally, two little tell tale white pistils are showing!
Yessssss! We have another girl!!
Honestly, must have only showed in the last day or two from how small they are.
That means she is also starting to alternate her nodes and set a flower structure.
Showing first flowers on shall we say, day 30, this plant could go a fairly long time.
Another 3 weeks of stretch and flower-set, then into putting on the flowers themselves.
Let's say another 8 weeks / 2 months.

Love and hugs,
~SM
:love:

There was a touch more rain, which hopefully will have helped wash the dolomite lime etc. down into the soil.
Then it's going to be at least a few days without rain, some clear skies, some cloud, and hot temps.
If that keeps up for a while, of course it'll be good for growth, but too long and I may have to see if she needs water.
Think I'll give her at least 5 days, as that bag was so soaked, plus there are water crystals and vermiculite too.

:d5: Great news SM on the females. You are correct, the huge amounts of rain is why the soils in rainforests are low in fertility and they derive there nutrients from the fallen leaves on the forest floor. Thats good, being June, less problems with rain. They seem happy plants. Nice so in about 2 months they should be ready for harvest. Weekly outlook here is partly cloudy, i think the risk of showers is coastal. Ive heard good things about Worm Castings :pass:

Weather has been hot and sunny. Getting up to around 35C each day from noon to early afternoon.
A bit of cloud at times, but none of the usual early after thunder storms and showers.
Humidity is of course fairly high, lowest when temps are highest.

I saw a few neighborhood pot plants outside that are a bit droopy from the heat.
So was wondering how my outdoor girl would be.
Was originally going to wait until Friday to check and water (if no rain),
and the weekends aren't so good because more people in the area,
so just went in today to check her out.

She's doing well, a few more pistils, stretching out more and more.
Looks healthy, no further signs of pH issues or other deficiencies, etc.
One of the smaller top branches was broken, just from the wind maybe, it's a pity.
There is still a bit of water retention in the pot, can feel the weight of it.
But gave her a full 1L drink of RO water from home.
Was worried about absorption, but it very quickly went straight down into the coco/soil/etc. mix.

This is very good for future reference:
She can easily handle 3 straight days of hot weather with no rain, probably more (at least 4, maybe 5+?)
Very useful to know if I get long stretches of no rain.

Thats good SM you have been able to work out the watering and when the girls need it. The mix is good at containing moisture and also good on drainage. I found today i have to water every 3rd day on the big girls, usually its 4 , The humidy always lowers with drop in temperature, i would hate it high at those temp,s have experienced some bad summers with low 30s and humidity, not very nice

LBH Selection -- Round 4 -- Day 11

Haven't shown any shots of the Rnd 4 seedlings for a while.
I think they should be on about day 11 or so.
Which makes them a bit smaller than the last round, Strain 2.
These Rnd 4 seedlings are Strain 1, which was the most successful right from the start.

Four beans dropped, 2 each into 1L pots, with mostly seedling soil mix (with perlite), coco, etc.
Presently 2 very healthy and 1 surviving.

Group shot.
20200607 LBH Selection Round 4 (1).jpg

Of the two taller ones, the one on the left needed assistance when very small.
I have a small fan on 24/7, but they were in the far corner of the garden, furthest from the breeze.

LBH Selection -- Round 4 -- Day 11

Haven't shown any shots of the Rnd 4 seedlings for a while.
I think they should be on about day 11 or so.
Which makes them a bit smaller than the last round, Strain 2.
These Rnd 4 seedlings are Strain 1, which was the most successful right from the start.

Four beans dropped, 2 each into 1L pots, with mostly seedling soil mix (with perlite), coco, etc.
Presently 2 very healthy and 1 surviving.

Group shot.
20200607 LBH Selection Round 4 (1).jpg

Of the two taller ones, the one on the left needed assistance when very small.
I have a small fan on 24/7, but they were in the far corner of the garden, furthest from the breeze.
Moved them directly in front of the fan, and the stem is strengthened.
The base of the stem is also bent -- it popped the root radical tip out of the soil, and had to be removed and replanted.
Seems successful. @pop22
Taller plant:
20200607 LBH Selection Round 4 (2).jpg

Its second set of leaves has a bit of a curl to it, maybe very early signs of low Ca. (? @Waira )
I will use more fine dolomite lime when I repot them up.

Then the smaller, rather mutant plant:
20200607 LBH Selection Round 4 (3).jpg

The other medium plant on the right, in close up.
Leaf tips going from 1, to 3, directly to 7. Good sign of vigor!
1591499230300.jpeg

Just looking the best so far.
Internode length is average. The other taller plant has a bit of a stretch.
But I think that is good for where they're going,
more internode length to shed water and breath in the high rainfall and humidity here.

I need to repot them up into 6 or 7 L cloth bags, to get ready to go outside.
But I can't put them out on the weekends, too many people around.
And if I put into those bigger bags, I have no space under my light right now.
The area is full of maturing hydroponic lettuce, and seedlings of organic tomatoes, mini tomatoes, and scorpion peppers.

I think they'll be fine in these 1L pots for a while yet.
I think I may top these again, just the taller two of course.
I doubt the small plant will make it, because it will get shaded out by the tall one.
But I won't cull it for now.

Would love to check on the Rnd 3 lady out there, but too many people right now.
Need to know that she isn't drying up.
The last few days have been fairly hot and sunny, with no rain again.
It may rain later today and tomorrow, so I need to rely on mother nature to look after them now.

Love and hugs,
~MJ
:love:

Attachments

• 1591498591200.jpeg
    1591498591200.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 45
Back