Indoor JS550Fan's perpetual journal > organics indoor QBs/outdoors

Funny thing this morning. So I had removed most of the ladybugs from my tent and relocated them outside. They were doing a great job on one plant, but for some reason were staying off of the purple kush entirely, letting the aphids go hog wild on it. So I wanted to deploy some sticky cards and DE to combat them and the gnats that were getting out of hand.

It was easier to catch them than I anticipated. Anyway, I missed two of them, and I've left them in my tent. I unfortunately found one stuck in a sticky card yesterday but managed to free him, I even tried to rinse the little guy off. Anyway, I guess the little bugger is feeling ok, this morning I found them copulating. No stopping these little guys!

Last edited:
@karlkutta do you have any pics? It sounds like an N deficiency, and I would love to try to help you with this.
Sure do. I think maybe problem is the lack of light at the bottom.

Last picture is from yesterday while the others are from earlier this week.

I had made a thread about it here..
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_tid=73404&share_fid=25553&share_type=t

I am now giving only bloom nutes, AN sensi bloom a+b 10ml/gallon

3e757bae3d5be0c638f850da52807938.jpg
659e7048e48bbf37ff848bc7076d7381.jpg
d1e9db304264cb53af60d42e2d0b4414.jpg
0fd188d0c7d1d14c37471d314e4877fd.jpg
a8bf65d12d8565b6a97b25b3e32eeb51.jpg

Hey man, thanks for checking out my thread! I'm planning on taking a look at your thread, too, but I wanted to say right off, your plants look really good overall! And it does appear to be an N def., to me. What size pots are you using?

I think I may have stumbled on a possible cause for my N deficiency. I've been using pine chips as mulch for a number of my plants (but not all). I have read, but apparently forgotten, that decomposition of wood chips can cause rmthe bacteria involved to need, and use up, additional Nitrogen from the vicinity.
IMG_20190901_203130.jpg

I really like this particular pine chip mulch, because it has a nice mix of fines in it, but it also had larger chunks which could be robbing the top layer of soil of N by way of my microbes.
IMG_20190901_203001.jpg

I removed most of the mulch from my 20G fabric potted OBS and SD, an SD clone, and the Cheese plant in the ground. Then I topped them all with Compost (Coast Of Maine Lobster Compost) and watered it in.

My compost pile is finally kicking into gear and I'll have some good stuff pretty soon, but for now I'm relying on the bagged stuff. I hear the COM product is pretty good though.

Inside, here is my Jack Herer, the first photo plant I've germinated in a while. I understand these plants like to go long. I'm probably going to mainline it.
IMG_20190901_202546.jpg

And here is the Amnesia Auto :
IMG_20190901_202610.jpg

It got stressed at transplant and began flowering right after. It's not usually a problem for me, but still, I am going to go back to germinating in their final container (for autos).

As I think I mentioned above, I did a remix of the remaining portion of my first soil mix, which was testing at a high pH (7.25 of I remember correctly) and messing with some of my autos. This mix used, in part, a portion of used and rinsed Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

IMG_20190902_124128.jpg

Anyway, I remixed with some Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, making sure to pre-wet it, added more perlite, and then some parts of my normal amendments: kelp, neem, alfalfa, azomite, crab and lobster shell.

It has been about 10 days, - not long enough to cook properly, but this soil had already been cooking in its original form for a couple of months - and I figured that would be long enough for it to 'equalize'.

I did a slurry pH test today and it's sitting at 6.25, so I think spot on. The CSPM did its job, and it looks like I managed to get the ratio in the right vicinity, ending up with with an acceptable pH. I'll be using this soil soon for some clones, so we will see how it's improved!

Last edited:
Found some white powdery mildew in my garden. Well, I had seen some on my squash, but didn't remove all of it.

Anyway, I found a bunch on a clone of Sky Dweller that has been growing very well in my LOS mix. I had let it get way too bushy for the current conditions. We have had rain on and off for a couple days.
IMG_20190907_110400.jpg

I trimmed it. A lot. I removed just about anything with WPM, plus anything low that would grow larf. Then I took more.
IMG_20190907_114652.jpg

It's still a very handsome plant. I'll get a good shot of it tomorrow. For noez you get this:
IMG_20190907_114805.jpg

Been seeing a lof of these guys around lately. I love it. I try very hard to check everything I trim and out any I find back in the plants.
IMG_20190907_114927.jpg

These giant tomato horn worms are making quick use of many of my cherry tomatoes. Truth is there's plenty to go around.
IMG_20190907_115037.jpg

Finally for now, here's a shot of a typical mid level bud on the Orange Blossom Special [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG] (the 20G fabric bag)
IMG_20190907_115115.jpg

They are coming along nicely, lots of nodes filling up and getting frosty. The whole garden is starting to smell very nice, indeed.

I also found some WPM on the lower and /or inner leaves in each of the other outdoor plants. I spent a long time trimming and tying to open things up a lot, and I built an 8' trellis frame from which I can hang some row covering material (or a tarp) to ward off rain/frost when the time comes.
IMG_20190907_110120.jpg

You can kinda see that the tallest Sky Dweller is within about 4" from the 8' frame... And that my sunflowers are well well taller.

My lesson is learned - next year I'll be running some Critical+2.0 outdoors.

Last edited:
Well, here she is. I decided to switch gears and bring her in. She's a beautiful plant who is loving my soil mix and she's starting to smell great. It's interesting that this plant likes this (original) soil mix, though the autoflowers don't seem to.

I didn't have much going on inside, so I made a mod to my light to be able to move it up to the maximum possible.

These QBs are awesome, the profile is so low I have it in the top few inches of my tent and there's still a gap for air to move over the heat sinks.

I'll be slowly lowering light duretion starting from 14 hours, which is approx what we have outside right now, down to 12 hours over the next few days, to minimize shock.
IMG_20190908_100048.jpg

I'll also be bringing in the remaining clones I have outside and just run them in a mini SOG style to maximize the space/return while I'm flowering this big Sky Dweller clone.

Orange Blossom Special [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG]:
IMG_20190908_230030.jpg

Looking a bit more full than it's sister in 20G container...

Sky Dweller [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG]:
IMG_20190908_225958.jpg

Both having been trimmed quite a bit. I've only seen a very little WPM on these girls, thankfully, but the finish line is a ways off and the weather is coming.

The Cheese :

IMG_20190908_225923.jpg
is definitely a bit further along. Getting beautifully fragrant. Filling up nicely and doing great in its little spot in the corner. This one was planted in the ground about a month after the Sky Dweller and Orange Blossom Special, pictured in the overhead shot a post or two back.

These two containerd plants are both doing better in regards to the N deficiency. I am still seeing some yellowing, but it has slowed way down, and I feel I've got a hold of it.

Inside:
IMG_20190908_225849.jpg

I brought all the clones in, so I have an eclectic mix now. It's a mess, really, but I'm pretty excited to be flowering my first Photoperiod plants in this tent.

In order to fit that Sky Dweller [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] clone in there, I had to re-engineer the hanging points a bit, but I have it now about 3" below the top, leaving just enough room for ventilation :
IMG_20190908_225740.jpg

I haven't measured yet, but I think the gap is about 7". I'm currently running the lights at 150 watts, planning on stepping it up to 200 or so, depending on how the plants react. Starting at 14 hours to match the current outdoor photo period, then working down to 12 hours of light.

Back