Indoor JS550Fan's perpetual journal > organics indoor QBs/outdoors

Reaction score
I'm in between grows. Well... It would be more accurate to say I'm in the midst of grows. I have plants at most stages of life right now.

In any case, life is busy, but I want to try to continue being part of this community. It's a really nice place to learn and share. So, I'm making this my one place to post my updates, thoughts, and ramblings.

I've become very interested in Living Organic Soils, and - to the best of my personal ability, and that of my equipment - to scrutinize the microbiological life involved.

I have a custom Living Organic Soil mix that is doing well so far, and I just mixed up a new batch with more raw ingredients. I'll go into that soon.

To begin with, I harvested the second of two plants that were somehow stunted in their early life today. It's a Seedsman Purple Kush 1:1 CBD, and I so fell in love with the smell when the first plant was mid-flower, that I planted another seed, and now that plant is flowering. Meet the two ladies:
IMG_20190812_153504.jpg
IMG_20190812_152953.jpg

I think I'll get about .8-1.0 Ozs from the little CBD girl, there. I'm hoping for 2 or 3 from the next one, and with the structure, I think she will give it a good shot. She's a weird one, flowering very quickly at day 24! She gew pretty quick in that time, but hasn't stretched too much since beginning to flower in earnest. Still, she's got the height to make it. Very long internodes, though, so I'm hoping she can get really plump.

So, PK#1 was planted in Coast Of Maine Stonington Blend, mixed with promix in the top half. PK#2 was the same COM mixed with FFHF. I don't think that difference in blend had much of an effect - something else stunted that girl.

In any case, the other plant I am flowering now did sore of the opposite - grew for 42 days before - very slowly - starting to flower. She grew really quick, and though I had not planned to top her, I simply had to at the end, giving her a little collection of small colas at the top. She's tall, but studded with a healthy number of internodes. I think she's going to be a real performer.
IMG_20190812_151433.jpg

Best thing is, she is the first plant I've grown in my own Living Organic Soil mix! And she's my most healthy plant to date.

Lest I speak too soon, I did notice today a couple of lower fan leaves starting to get crusty tip burn. It may be increased transpiration with the relatively warm and dry conditions lately. Also, I've been battling fungus gnats and subsequently have had to try to let things dry out a bit. I like to keep the soil moist, but that lets the little fuckers go balls out.

You can see I've added a measure of protection for my newest seedling - a freebie Amnesia Auto from Seedsman, and a replacement for the sadly stunted Amnesia that my wife requested. I'm not too impressed with its progression so far. I've definitely seen bigger, but I've also had Autos this size accelerate and give me a decent yield. Time will tell.

IMG_20190812_153125.jpg

I think I'll get about .8-1.0 Ozs from the little CBD girl, there. I'm hoping for 2 or 3 from the next one, and with the structure, I think she will give it a good shot. She's a weird one, flowering very quickly at day 24! She gew pretty quick in that time, but hasn't stretched too much since beginning to flower in earnest. Still, she's got the height to make it. Very long internodes, though, so I'm hoping she can get really plump.

So, PK#1 was planted in Coast Of Maine Stonington Blend, mixed with promix in the top half. PK#2 was the same COM mixed with FFHF. I don't think that difference in blend had much of an effect - something else stunted that girl.

In any case, the other plant I am flowering now did sore of the opposite - grew for 42 days before - very slowly - starting to flower. She grew really quick, and though I had not planned to top her, I simply had to at the end, giving her a little collection of small colas at the top. She's tall, but studded with a healthy number of internodes. I think she's going to be a real performer.
View attachment 1089561
Best thing is, she is the first plant I've grown in my own Living Organic Soil mix! And she's my most healthy plant to date.

Lest I speak too soon, I did notice today a couple of lower fan leaves starting to get crusty tip burn. It may be increased transpiration with the relatively warm and dry conditions lately. Also, I've been battling fungus gnats and subsequently have had to try to let things dry out a bit. I like to keep the soil moist, but that lets the little fuckers go balls out.

You can see I've added a measure of protection for my newest seedling - a freebie Amnesia Auto from Seedsman, and a replacement for the sadly stunted Amnesia that my wife requested. I'm not too impressed with its progression so far. I've definitely seen bigger, but I've also had Autos this size accelerate and give me a decent yield. Time will tell.

View attachment 1089563
Looks great! Are you growing autos and photos together? I had started 4 autos + 1 photo and by the time the autos finished the photo took over the whole tent. Just curious how others are doing this. I will probably miss x again but on a staggered basis.

Yes, and how! I'll dig up some pictures, but... when I first got the setup, I went a little wild and germinated a low of photos and a few autos, as well. I was planning on putting some photos outside, and flowering two or more in the tent after the autos were done flowering. And of course, by the time the tent was clear, the photos were too big, even after mainlining them! They are now all doing very well outside. Funny thing is, I did it a second time with my second round of plants, and now this new generation is outside as well!

Here are my three autos in my first grow, with the two remaining photoperiod plants jammed in. Not long after this, they were put outside into 5g fabric bags. They've since been upgraded to 20g fabric bags and are about 6' tall.
IMG_20190601_083539.jpg

The photoperiod plants were all mainlined to 4 or 8 colas.

0511191438a.jpg

Now, below is a recent pic of most of the plants outdoors. The Sky Dweller and Orange Blossom Special in view here are in 20g fabric bags. The Cheese was planted in the ground about 10 days ago, just prior to flowering. Prior to that, it had been in a 5g fabric bag. I'm really happy that at least one of these beasts are beginning to flower in earnest, because I fear it's going to be pretty cold by the time the others are ready to finish.

I have one more Sky Dweller and an Orange Blossom Special in the ground as well, and they are approaching 7' tall now. I'll get a shot of them tomorrow - I don't have any decent ones from recently.

The smaller Sky Dweller and the Snake Oil are in 7g fabric bags - these ones were just put outside last week.

outdoor crew.jpg

Damn aphids!
IMG_20190815_122646.jpg

Not sure where they came from, but I now have aphids in my tent. Began spraying with a 1% soap solution, and ordered some insecticidal soap.

Also top dressed both flowering plants with perlite/DE to hopefully finish off the gnats. Man, the bugs are loving it in here! This is the first time I've had problems with any bugs at all.

I took an infested (smaller) branch right off of the NY Diesel, as well as some fan leaves.
IMG_20190815_122903.jpg

Things are looking better today, thankfully.
IMG_20190815_122930.jpg

The buds from the first Purple Kush are still drying, and man, do they smell fantastic! Piney and fruity.
IMG_20190815_124941.jpg

Meanwhile outdoors, the Cheese is moving along in flower, and the others are just starting. Did some under canopy cleanup.
IMG_20190815_122806.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I had seen calyxes prior, on the Snake Oil, but it turned out to be a boy.
I have actually wanted a Snake Oil male to collect some pollen from, but I don't have a way to segregate the plant and keep it happy, so it's going to need to get the chop. I practiced some supercropping on the little guy today.

IMG_20190817_010834.jpg

In other news, I removed the NY Diesel Auto from the tent briefly to give it a good spray with insecticidal soap. Her growth still seems very good. A good number of colas with lots of nodes to fill up nicely in the coming months.

Back