Outdoor Jravens Alaska Summer 2020

Love your plants, they all look very healthy and strong at this point.
That older Monk plant is fantastic for the conditions.
Unsexed as yet? Hope it's a female, because she has the time to get big, huh?

Wish I could see your bears... from a safe distance!
The monk has just shown female :thumbsup: she had a mate that showed male earlier and I put him aside for possible breeding purposes.
The bears usually do keep their distance, that one is a quarter mile away I suppose. I'm just glad they have a place they can do their thing. Folks want to hunt them this time of year but no one will be after these.

Hey there J Ray those are looking awesome.. :thumbsup: your plants are just doing a crack bang job. Those monks are looking awesome. I sure would like to try one around here just to see what it would do in a good Michigan summer. It seems to handle the cool temperatures pretty well and I've never heard you say any issues really about fungus amongus. And that's a really good thing because I have that powdery mildew all around me and I can't control it in other people's yards.
I can only do my own and the wind blows every day LOL So it's always going to be an ongoing issue as long as I live in this house.

Love the wild life and the scenery there man. You are in heaven.

How big you think that black bear is?

I'm going to try and get up that way maybe this fall if my money drops right... if not I'm going to try and get up there next year. For sure as my settlement surely will be settled by then.
I want to do some salmon fishing. I haven't been up there since 74 and longing to reminisce and see what the progress looks like since I was last there.
I especially want to visit Nenana on the Tana river a few miles Northwest of Fairbanks
Forgive me of my spelling is wrong.
I would like to visit the son of the guide that my father always used when we went up there to go moose hunting. As I was very young and the son was my only friend that I had while we were there. As we would stay a month at a time or so... We would drive there and back..from here in Mi.. That in itself was an adventure. As you probably well know. Back then the highway was a improve Gravel Road for 1500 miles wow. The old man specially outfitted 72 4x4 Dodge Power Wagon with all kinds of headlight plastic bubbles and rock deflecting Shields for the windshield. As he used to go up there for years before I was able to go with him.
But we had quit going up there after 75 after as the good guide by the name of Ruben a Native American drownd in the Tana River when his boat flipped over. That river is one of the largest fast rivers that I've ever witnessed... so beautiful and so dangerous.
Alaska is such a awesome place:worship::drunks::smokeout:
I'm super happy to be where I am bro. I sure hope you can make the trip. Alaska has changed a lot since the 70's but you are still never far from the wild world. We haven't been to the interior but still hope to check it out someday. It's a water world at this end of the state and most travel is by boat.
That bear frankly has been elusive this year...acting more secretive than usual but I think it's a younger boar, so maybe 350-400 lb. Maybe the offspring of the one with 3 cubs a couple years ago.
I never had pm on the monks, even the seeded ones that had some BR never showed pm. Real hardy plants.

Last edited:
Here's a couple bears from the past few years. Triplets!
DSCN4433.JPG

And a large male
DSCN5224.JPG

Here's a couple bears from the past few years. Triplets!
View attachment 1199233
And a large maleView attachment 1199234
That was weird it posted without me even hitting the post button. I didn't even get a chance to say anyting. Weird.

I grew up on Grizzly Adams the TV show.
I never had the mountains or the rivers or lakes.. but I had plenty of farmland and woods to go play in and I did everyday my whole young adult life. Hunted and trapped right up until I was about 35. I'm definitely no stranger to the woods but to the big game I'm not so privy to them. I myself have never hunted bear or moose nor do I care to. I'm more of shooting them with the camera kind of guy these days. And would only hunt for food now.
You give us some of the best Wildlife pictures you and Trail animal and Weed Warrior. Just spectacular shots.
I love them all they're great.

That was weird it posted without me even hitting the post button. I didn't even get a chance to say anyting. Weird.

I grew up on Grizzly Adams the TV show.
I never had the mountains or the rivers or lakes.. but I had plenty of farmland and woods to go play in and I did everyday my whole young adult life. Hunted and trapped right up until I was about 35. I'm definitely no stranger to the woods but to the big game I'm not so privy to them. I myself have never hunted bear or moose nor do I care to. I'm more of shooting them with the camera kind of guy these days. And would only hunt for food now.
You give us some of the best Wildlife pictures you and Trail animal and Weed Warrior. Just spectacular shots.
I love them all they're great.
I liked the blank post anyway:biggrin: figured it was complimentary:haha:
I've always (since I left the city at 20 yo) been out in the country, but maybe not such a great woodsman or hunter, just enough to get a little food. My productive time has been out on the water so a lot of my posts over the years other than these ones off the porch have been from there

Back